Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

zaphriel
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Before

Post by zaphriel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    It may make the problems that I can't deal with feel more real.
    It might make me feel a bit better.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    It will bring a greater sense of reality.
    It will take away my clean arms. And break my record breaking run.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I want to feel calm. And real. And like I'm good enough to deal with this.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    It probably wont last as long as I'd like. Maybe six hours.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    I could do my uni work instead of avoiding it. It may make me feel a little less out of control. But I'll just feel overwhelmed again.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    I'll probably feel a little disappointed in myself. But not as much as I should do.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

I really, REALLY want to run away from all the problems. From everything. From everyone.
I don't know what I can do that isn't that right now.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    I have more problems than I can list. An abusive landlord and no way to pay him. A suicidal girlfriend that I can't help, cause she doesn't want to be helped. 20,000 words to write in 12 days. More creditors than I could hit with sticks. A mother than won't help even though she knows how desperate I am right now, even though she could if she wanted to. I could go on...
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    I'm here all the time. And I just keep pushing all the feelings away so I don't have to deal with them. I've been numb for pretty much a year solid.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    I've come on here cause I wanted to do it so bad.
  • How do I feel right now?
    Numb.
    Alone.
    Desperate.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    Like I'm alive.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    Guilty for giving in.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    Not really. This is my entire life.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?

I don't know the answer to that.

Kltat
settling in
settling in

Before

Post by Kltat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 pm

((hug)) hang in there.
Hugs and PMs welcome. :-)