After

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Kltat
settling in
settling in

After

Post by Kltat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:06 am

•have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.
o Yes
•what had happened just before?
o I was rejected by a boy
•what were you thinking and feeling?
o That I’m not good enough from everyone and that I never will be. I am destined to be alone forever and I don’t think I can take it.
•why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?
o I hurt myself because I could. No one was going to be seeing it so why did it matter. Plus I needed to replace the feelings.
•how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.
o I think it got to the final straw because I just don’t care anymore.
•were there outside factors like drugs, alcohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?
o Yes I was very very drunk and taking viccodin (sp).
•what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?
o I tried talking to my roommate I cried and then I just lost it.
•in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?
o Not getting my head, not putting my heart into people. I always get hurt.
•name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.
o I don’t have an answer for this and I should.
•how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?
o I am natural towards the situation, I let it escalate and a lot of that had to do with the booze.
•are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?
o I hope not.
•what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.
o Going to sleep
o Taking a walk
o Finding someone to talk to.

About Opportunities to SI
Opportunity to Self-Harm seems to be a common theme. Think about why opportunities are important to slips and learn why opportunity is important to you.
•What made that opportunity more appealing than any other?
o Because I knew I would instantly feel better.
•Did you make an opportunity or was it there for the taking?
o I made the opportunity.
•What would you have done if there was no opportunity, how would you have handled your urge?
o I think ultimately I need to get rid of my kit. I don’t know if I’m ready to do that yet though.
•If there had been no opportunity would your urge to self-harm have increased or decreased?
o I would have went to sleep and it would have decreased.
•What constitutes opportunity for you? Being alone? having new tools? waiting for the right feeling?
o Being alone and having the tools.
•If your opportunities were taken away, how would you feel?
o Like I didn’t have an out.

I’m having a really hard time right now, I need something but I don’t know what.
Hugs and PMs welcome. :-)

zaphriel
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Re: After

Post by zaphriel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Kltat wrote: I’m having a really hard time right now, I need something but I don’t know what.
I don't have any valuable words of wisdom right now, I just understand where you're coming from with this.

*hugs* (if it's ok)