After - comments/advice wanted

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Butterfly.
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon

After - comments/advice wanted

Post by Butterfly. » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:08 am

I wasn't up to answering these straight away. Happened on Friday night/Saturday morning. Any advice/comments would be appreciated. Still at a bit of a loss how to cope - these questions didn't lead to much insight. Anyone got any ideas?

After:
  • have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.
    Sort of.
  • what had happened just before?
    Nothing specifically. Friday had been a long afternoon/night and I was just lying on my bed and Saturday morning I was starting to get ready for work.
  • what were you thinking and feeling?
    Friday - worn out, upset, shaken, dissociative
    Saturday - anxious, unfocused, mind out of control
  • why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?
    Friday had been a big T session, which had taken a lot out of me and had put me well out of my comfort zone. I was a mess afterwards, and all night I had battled urges when I finally gave in.
  • how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.
  • were there outside factors like drugs, alcohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?
    N/A
  • what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?
    I had tried grounding on Friday night. It was near useless. I kept dissociating, I kept having flashbacks, I was still a mess. Saturday I didn't try anything else. I just wanted to be calm and together
  • in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realise might have helped? what were they?
    Not really - I'm at a loss here. Maybe I could have called the one person I feel I can rely on, but I would've felt guilty for calling her esp. as she had been with me all day and helped me so much already
  • name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.
  • how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?
    Resolution is probably a long way off, although we're now trying a different method of therapy which won't involve so much remembering hopefully.
  • are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognise it when you're in that situation?
    It's likely to come up again, until I start to get some sort of healing. I don't know how to recognise it though. It just happens.
  • what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.