before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Stormy Llwellyn
bus addict
bus addict

before

Post by Stormy Llwellyn » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:08 am

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    It won't.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    nothing. this situation is out of my hands, I have no control but it will affect a major part of my life
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I want to have control of me and my life. dammit. both
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    idk. This situation is beyond my control and I need relief and this situation is not going away for some time. idk
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    idk, anything I think of puts me in an atmosphere to hurt myself one way or another. It won't change the situation. Nothing will. I have no control over my life again and I want something to bring it back. I guess the question @ how long will the change last is asking me if si will help the situation. No but my life is going back to a mess again. What will I do then? idk.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    numb.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

scream it's not fair. si. idk what that even means.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    Because I am being forced into a decision that I don't want, and I have no recourse that will solve it. Damn gov't.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    yes. I cut. relieved but ashamed
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    nothing. idk, I am so overwhelmed atm.
  • How do I feel right now?
    pissed off and majorly triggered
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    releived but guilty.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    stupid, even stupider.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    ha, I wish. I have no choice in this matter.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?

i want to but....
Mike's Place

God,grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference

TWLOHA

:moo: Kaylee

nomad2207
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Re: before

Post by nomad2207 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:10 am

:1soothe:
"i took the path less traveled and it has made all the difference."
nomad's place...here i grow again
if you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, you can find out firsthand what it's like to be me.
if it looks like i'm laughing, i'm really just asking to leave.

my bus family:a7xcncangel sister