Before, ED/SI

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

calypso
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Before, ED/SI

Post by calypso » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:20 am

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself? If I purge, my weight won't actually change, I'll just feel like shit. If I SI, everything will be the same, but I will be hurting.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation? Guilt, pain, having to hide SI. It'll take away the urge.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way? I want to recover, and purging and/or SI-ing isn't going to get me closer to that.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then? It will probably last for the rest of today, but I can get through today without it anyway.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then? I might go for a bike ride, that would be more healthy, and it'd get me out of my head and out of the house. I'm also going to have a bit of a clean up.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with? If I SI/purge I'll feel stupid tomorrow, and I'll feel further down the hole that I'm digging than I already feel.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I'm not sure. Maybe a nap would be good actually? Because I don't want to just end up over exercising as a way of purging :roll: I can listen to the part of me that is so tired of hurting myself.

Ok, tired now. Ahhrgh.