Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Butterfly.
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon

Before

Post by Butterfly. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:12 am

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if I hurt myself?
    The feelings will shift, there will be some relief.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    It will bring a distraction from the feelings, it will help me to not feel so rejected, I will feel cared for (in the aftermath of SI anyway)
  • how do I want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    Ideally, in the long run, I would like to stop reacting to things irrationally (which I know I am doing now, but that doesn't help). I would like to be able to look at a situation rationally, and not feel completely rejected. SI will always take me farther from a goal.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    It will last for the rest of tonight, and possibly until this feeling wears off, which I know it will in time.
  • what is something I could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation I'm in? how long will that change last, and what will I do then?
    I could vacuum the house like I was supposed to this morning, I could find a way to make myself feel cared for. It will give me something else to do until the feelings pass.
  • how will I feel tomorrow if I hurt myself? how will I feel tomorrow if I do the other thing I came up with?
    I will be very upset and annoyed at myself, and feel incredibly guilty if I SI. I won't feel those things if I did the other stuff.
  • what do I really want to do right now? how can I best honour the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
    I really want to find a way to deal with the feelings of rejection, and to feel cared for. I can find a way to distract myself/care for myself.
urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    I have always used SI to cope with feeling rejected. I got to this point because this is the second time this week something has happened that left me feeling rejected, although both are a bit irrational.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    I feel rejected often. I used to SI. The last time I went out and ran some errands I had to run.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    I'm doing these questions, I'm trying to reason with myself as to why I don't need to feel rejected.
  • How do I feel right now?
    Rejected, hurt, alone, uncared for, shut off, and annoyed (at myself)
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    Release, relief
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    Cared for/taken care of. Tomorrow I will feel annoyed, upset and guilty.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    I need to continue working on my irrational responses to situations with my counsellor
  • Do I need to hurt myself?
    No, yes, I don't know. I'm torn.
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.