Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Glockenspiel
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Before

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:11 am

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

In no way at all.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?

Nothing. It will make me afraid to go to the swimming pool, so I won't be able to exercise. And I won't be able to see my nieces swim. And that will suck.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

Like I've done everything I can do. Like if it doesn't happen it won't be because of something I didn't do. Hurting myself will not make me any closer to feeling this way.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

Hurting myself doesn't seem like the best option.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

Play games. Tell my friend I'll go to dinner with her and her mother tomorrow. It will make me feel good, because I'm doing more stuff with my friend.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

I'll feel like shit. I'll feel great, because I'll be going out with my friend.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

Play games. Communicate with people
I always enjoy myself, even when I'm crying -- Jen Johnson

My place