tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by VowsOfSadness » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:58 am

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    I'll feel in control
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    I'll feel in control, I'll feel like I control my feelings. But if I do I'll feel afraid someone will find out I've been cutting after all these years free
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I just don't want to hurt any more & I don't know what's going to help me
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    At least till the morning. Maybe I'll be able to sleep. Then in the morning I'll be busy with school & work
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    I could text someone, but I'm afraid to wake anyone. I can just sit here, but I've been doing that for hours.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    If I cut I'll probably feel embarrassed, if I find a way to not I'll pretend I was never upset at all.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

???

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    I feel so lonely I am sick to my stomach.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
  • How do I feel right now?
    sick. nauseous
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    i dont know
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    its inside me
  • Do I need to hurt myself?
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!