before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

loveLights
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

before

Post by loveLights » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:09 am

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    I might feel real, maybe
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    I will feel the rush.......I will not be any better off soon after, and will have more shame
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I want to feel in control. I want to feel safe, like no one can hurt me. I will actually loose control, and will not even be safe from myself
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    maybe a few minutes. never can tell, maybe all night, but it would take a lot. i will freak out and withdraw more
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    write. idk, maybe put my thoughts and feelings in order. i really don't know.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    hopeless. i might feel bad tomorrow no matter what, but i will still have hope if i don't
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

I want to be heard. I want to rant. I want to do damage. I want to tell my mom what she did when i was little. i want to tell my whole family off. i want to tell my bro how he makes me feel when he acts like i don't deserve anybetter from my husband. I could protect myself from judgemental people and not be around them. I could keep away from dangerous things like drugs and blades, and lighters, and junk food, and cigs, i should just stick to my computer, books, and journals until my husband gets home

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    I feel like i can't handle things properly and i'm not good enough. that lady needed an ambulance and i freaked out. i got pulled over by the cop, he was nice, but i freaked out. i stayed calm on the outside, but i was spinning. i didn't feel real when no one could hear me on the phone. i hate that feeling.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    i wrote a lot and tried to talk to people, but mostly wrote.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    talked to husband for a little while when the phone had better reception. i could cuddle with my favorite blanket and pillow
  • How do I feel right now?
    calm, and hyper, and a little more inner peace than when i started with these questions
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    excited, and distracted
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    extatic and proud of myself for a sec, but later i will be devostated. tomorrow morning i would be depressed and feel hopeless. tomorrow i may be depressed no matter what, but i still can have hope if i dont hurt myself
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    i need to face the issues of my mom being violent when she was all dizzy and passing out, then maybe i will be more together. i don't know. i don't know if i could really avoid these things, because they just happen
  • Do I need to hurt myself?

not now

Remember you don't have to answer all the questions if you don't feel up to it.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
~M. Kathleen Casey
If you cannot be a poet, be the poem.
~David Carradine
ImageImage
*HUGS!!!*
Visit my place!
My Workshop