Before...

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Maeve
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Before...

Post by Maeve » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:09 am

Before You Self-Harm 
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself: 
I'm only wanting to do this because my husband put all these great ideas into my head about the naval reserves, but now I'm back to doubting myself; back to all the excuses why I never joined the mlitary back when I should have.
  •  
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself? 
    it won't change at all - just get rid of them for a little while
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    it might make me feel better in the short term, but it will reenforce my own discouragement - military members don't slice themselves up when things go wrong 
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way? 
    It will feel so great at first. I miss it soooo badly! But I know it's only a temporary fix
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    it will be very temporary; the feelings will come back. And it will also come back to bite me if my husband finds the cuts
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then? 
    I need to get some sleep, but I'm wide awake. And I'll still have to deal with these feelings once I wake up
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with? 
    I won't really care - either way I've dealt with it. And if I cut, at least I will have done something somewhat constructive. The only one who will care is my husband
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I want to cut. I want to do it so very badly. I don't care about my husbands reaction. I don't even care about the military - I'd never be able to do it anyway; may as well just give in to what I really want. But I know that if my husband sees it, there will be hell to pay. And I don't look forward to that. But I'm so sick of suffering in silence.

I'm going to try to sleep now, but these thoughts will come back...I just hate getting these great ideas into my head and having them ripped away by reality...  
"You know those days when you get the mean reds?...The blues are when you're getting fatter or its been raining to long; you're just sad that's all. But the mean reds are terrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't even know what you're afraid of."
-Breakfast at Tiffany's

Сумасществие не всегда выет. Иногда он михий голос что говорит, 'Есть место в ваш ум за один ещё?'
"Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice saying, 'Is there room in your head for one more?'"

MyPlace MySpace (Caution, may trigger!)