before...driving my up the wall *some language*

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

LoverlyLaurie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

before...driving my up the wall *some language*

Post by LoverlyLaurie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    it would make me feel less frustrated, and maybe make the stupid urges go away.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation? i can have control in this small part of my life. i will still be lying to everyone around me.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    don't know, yes.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    i hope it at least lasts for today...tomorrow i go see my T, and he makes me feel better talking to him.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    i could clean the house like i'm supposed to. maybe take my mind off SI, maybe make the urge worse. then i'll play my guitar like i want to because i don't want to clean.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    idk. i have to clean no matter what...ugh.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

play my guitar or SI...but i have to clean the house instead.
i don't know...any suggestions?

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    i feel like shit and i don't know why. i keep having urges and try to ignore them.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then? yes...i ignored it for a day or so until i finally SI'd.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    play guitar...don't know...i have to clean the house right now and that will only make it worse....maybe not?
  • How do I feel right now?
    depressed, lonely, frustrated
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    better. in control. less frustrated.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    i don't know.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    it doesn't seem to go away, the urge keeps following me. maybe screaming will help...i feel like screaming.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?

i feel like i do right now. i just wanna do it so i'll feel better.
My Place
My You Tube

The needle tears a hole. The old familiar sting. Try to kill it all the way. But I remember everything.
And you could have it all. My empire of dirt. I will let you down. I will make you hurt.

♥ Artemesia is my soul sister ♥