before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

before

Post by treasure » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    i will calm down, stop thinking so much and be able to sleep soon.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    bring - a lot of baggage, the likelihood of it happening again, shutting down emotions that might be better coming out, probably secrets
    take - my longest time without si, my previous confidence in facing si urges
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    long run, i want to escape from life and don't care what happens. si won't change that nor make it easier to give up.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    relief will only last til tomorrow when i have a stressful appt. i might be tempted to si again then, depending how it goes.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    listen to music and/or a meditation, i need to relax. maybe go outside where it's really cold and will shock me into calmness. maybe read which will distract me.
    i don't think anything will really deal with my emotions, but a combination might keep me away from si long enough that i can fall asleep.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    if i si, tomorrow i will feel secretive, powerful, reckless. if i do other things, tomorrow will probably be stressful and sad.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
    i want to freak out, and holding myself in is hurting. i suppose the si urge would be helping me express my emotions which are a bti overwhelming, but too hard to express. maybe music or something emotional will honour my self.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    feeling like i really want to die and nothing i can do will stop me getting more and more depressed. i don't know if it will help, but it's probably contributed to hopelessness, that i'm not telling anyone irl about how i feel,
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    yes. long time ago. i dealt eith it by seeing my dr and t i think. don't have either right now cos i moved, but i should be trying to find them.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    type in my place and then here. try to breathe a little deeper/slower.
    i can try a simple distraction, then going to bed. hopefully music will help me relax, but i can read if i can't sleep.
  • How do I feel right now?
    alone, annoyed, sad, anxious, scared.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    calm. self-centred. protected. playfully violent.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    regretful, scared, angry.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    a little, yes. i probably should talk about things when su thoughts are a slight bother, not when i get to the stage of feeling a bit out of control. i might be able to find other stresses/triggers that come first and deal with them better. i could cope/deal better by having more coping ideas in place and using them earlier.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?
    need - no. will i? - maybe but not yet
Remember you don't have to answer all the questions if you don't feel up to it.
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place