before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

piggylavigne
town councillor
town councillor

before

Post by piggylavigne » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:29 am

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
it will go away and let me sleep in peace without fear or hurt or anything

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
it will allow me to be free from all the horrible feelings i have, but it will cause my bf to worry, as i do not know how long i can hide it.

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
i want to be able to move on from si, it will move me farther away :/

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
i don't particuarly care how long it lasts, i need it :( and five seconds is better than none at all but my bf will worry and it will upset him, i don't want that

what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
i could draw for a bit, which would relax me, but i wouldn't be distracted for long

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
i would feel guilty, and angry and ashamed that i gave in to my urges.
i would feel proud that i had overcome my urges, and feel secure around my family.

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
i want to be able to be at peace with myself, i want to be able to look after myself properly and not end up kicked out of my house.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer

Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?

i am tired of trying to fight it, i just want to give up and give myself some space from everything thats pressuring me. exams, stress, friends, moving away, everything.

Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?

What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?

How do I feel right now?

scared, alone, afraid, tired.

How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
in control and good

How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
much better, calm and relaxed. tommorrow? anxious, worried, probably a bit guilty but better than now.

Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
talk to someone

Do I need to hurt myself?
i need peace

You said, "I'm done feeling like a skeleton. No more sleep walking dead"
You're going to wake from this coma, you're going to crawl from this bed you have made.

Place
Expressions