After

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Eva
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

After

Post by Eva » Sun May 03, 2009 4:33 pm

I can't really answer all the questions, but I'll try.

have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.

I have stopped the bleeding and washed my arm.

what had happened just before?

It hit me, that a "relationship" with a man, whom I like, but isn't right for me, is finally over.

what were you thinking and feeling?

I kept hearing the mean words he said to me yesterday. And thinking that I have tried this so many times and I will never change.

why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?

The need to ending something + my loneliness + the feeling of there's something wrong with me and I will never be normal

how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.

I lost control yesterday. I got provoked and was mean and was not thinking. Today I know I should have handled it differently. But I know it's something I do over and over again.

were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?

no, no other outside factors. But I was stressed because of my job.

what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?

I didn't try anything else. When I'm feeling like this only SI helps.

in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?

I can't think of anything. Maybe writing my thoughts down in a diary or here on bus.

name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.

?

how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?

I'm still sad and angry, and I want to cut again.
are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?

what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.

I will try not to be too hard on myself. Thinking that maybe I acted stupid, but I'm a good person, and when people can't see that it's their problem.