before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

zaphriel
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

before

Post by zaphriel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

I will learn from my mistakes better.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?

It will make me take a better look at my behavior and silence the voice that is telling I need to punish myself.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

I want to feel better. I don't know how or if this will effect that.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

I don't know. Probably til tommorrow morning. It seems to be about that long.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

I could ignore it and get on with my day.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

I wil probably feel a bit stupid and guilty. If I dont do it then I will feel the same tommorrow as I do now.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

I want to stop being overwhelmed by things that happened so long ago. I want to be normal.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?

A massive incident last night, I acted like a complete idiot cause a song came on and triggered memories that made me shut off emotionally which led to a bigger incident with my gf cause I couldn't articulate myself to explain what was wrong.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?

This is new.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?

I've delayed everything, I have to go and deal with the world in an hour and I just dont want to. I want to hide away and pretend it doesn't exist and curl up in bed. But I have commitments that I can't get out of.
  • How do I feel right now?

Angry, frustrated, guilty, stupid and ill.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?

Quiet. Calm.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?

I will feel better, other wise it would be stupid to do it. I'll probably feel a little stupid and guilty tommorrow for doing it though.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?

I can't really avoid the stressor without staying in my house where I can determine the music choices, which would be pretty boring long term. I think I've laid the ground work for dealing with it better by explaining myself to my gf a little better today.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?

If I thought that I didn't then I wouldn't be answering these questions.