before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

before

Post by treasure » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:39 pm

a few months ago without internet access i paraphrased the bus before q's and i feel like answering my version here. or i might just vent?

- what has brought you to this point?
not si-ing for ages. i am just finding it hard to motivate myself or care as much about life and the pressure of not si-ing is annoying me. i want to get the freedom of choice, and i want to control my feelings so i feel less pathetic.

- what have you done so far to cope?
today, i have read for a little while, made lunch, played a facebook game for ages and spent some time on bus. i made a teeny tiny start on some work i'm supposed to do, but lost my motivation again.

- name 3 things you could do after these q's apart from si?
write a list of tasks/goals
stumble random web pages
listen to music that i think will help

- how would you feel while si-ing?
scared, reckless, guilty but then wiping the guilt away with a false sense of calm/control/power.

- how would you feel about it tomorrow?
worried about my sister finding out, worried how my emotions would be affected. feeling sad that i wrecked getting to 6 months, and angry that i started again with such a long stretch without it.

- how would you feel if doing the other coping activities?
sad, unsure of myself. might feel relieved and slightly proud of myself that i have the ability/will power to try other things.

- how would you feel tomorrow if you didn't si?
tired - of life, of trying, of fighting and of myself. probably occasionally feeling a little happy i got through urges.

- what would si change about the situation/thoughts/feelings?
stop me feeling powerless and useless. give me something else to focus on, give me an excuse to need help?

- how else could you change the situation/thoughts/feelings?
make lists of what i could be doing - maybe ask my sister for help in getting some of those things done. if i can't talk to my sister, i could leave her a note? try to sit with the feelings until they pass, crying or feelings are not as bad as they seem.

- how can you honour the self-protectiveness that is part of wanting to si?
by finding a less-difficult way of tackling my work and motivation. maybe dealing sensibly and sensitively with my feelings, not just wishing i had none.

- what will you do right now?
i will play games a little longer, and hopefully start on some lists if i can. might play music, and be mindful of my feelings.
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place