After! :) *pozzi*

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

xStarBright
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

After! :) *pozzi*

Post by xStarBright » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:21 am

After You Beat an Urge
How do you beat your urges? Examine how you beat the last one so it can help you beat the next one.
  • Did I identify what feelings were leading me to want to SI?
    Yes. No. Maybe. I didn't take the time to figure it out, but I felt them pretty strong, so I don't know how to answer this.
  • If Yes - What were they, and how did I figure them out?
    Anger, and curiosity (I'm somewhat "scared" to get better - am I still addicted? What will it feel like to do it again?). I identified said feelings because I felt them very strongly.
  • What coping skills did I use to deal with these feelings?
    I didn't deal with the feelings as such - my kind of anger goes away with time, as does curiosity. I just thought about the 6th - I do a hug challange and the 6th of every month I get a hug, until I make it to a year - and it kinda gave me determination.
  • Were these coping skills the most effective I could have used?
    Yes. I can't remember anything being so effective as before.
  • If No - What coping skills got me through?
  • Why do I think they worked?
    Because I'd be so embarresed and ashamed if I turned up on the 6th saying "er, sorry, but.....". Plus I'm quite goal driven - having something short term, that has a long term goal built in is a perfect strategy for me. :)
  • How can I deal with these feelings more effectively next time, before the urge to SI sets in?
    Ummm. Don't let my parents provoke me. Understand that dad may have a little bit of a short temper, and differing opinions is part of life. Also think back to how it was like when I was fully, fully addicted to SI and remember the reasons I want to stop.

Take care,
Annie.
don't worry if i'm not here - i come and go. :cowsleep:
place

calisticks
creating your space
creating your space

Re: After! :) *pozzi*

Post by calisticks » Tue May 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Congratulations, Annie! I know it's many years too late, but beating an urge always deserves congratulations, even years after the fact. I am so impressed with you. :D :gooddeal: :1hurray: :1remind: :thup: