Formatted Version of the Questions

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Formatted Version of the Questions

Post by balletomane » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:03 am

I have always found formatting the questions after I've copied them a pain. So I've put in the tags for you. Just copy and paste and the questions should show up bold and in list form.

Before:

[size=200][b]Before You Self-Harm[/b][/size]
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:

[list]
[*][b]how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?[/b]

[*][b]what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?[/b]

[*][b]how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?[/b]

[*][b]if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?[/b]

[*][b]what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?[/b]

[*][b]how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?[/b]

[*][b]what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?[/b][/list]

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

[size=200][b]More Before Questions To Answer[/b][/size]

[list]
[*][b]Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point? [/b]

[*][b]Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?[/b]

[*][b]What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?[/b]

[*][b]How do I feel right now?[/b]

[*][b]How will I feel when I am hurting myself? [/b]

[*][b]How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning? [/b]

[*][b]Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future? [/b]

[*][b]Do I need to hurt myself?[/b] [/list]

Remember you don't have to answer all the questions if you don't feel up to it.

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:10 am

After:

[size=200][b]Questions to Answer After A Slip[/b][/size]
slips are chances to learn. you figure out what stresses are still too hard for you and you can work on how you'll deal with them next time you run into them. so instead of beating yourself up, take action.

[list]
[*][b]have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait. [/b]

[*][b]what had happened just before?[/b]

[*][b]what were you thinking and feeling?[/b]

[*][b]why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it? [/b]

[*][b]how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.[/b]

[*][b]were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?[/b]

[*][b]what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work? [/b]

[*][b]in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?[/b]

[*][b]name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.[/b]

[*][b]how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?[/b]

[*][b]are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?[/b]

[*][b]what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.[/b]
[/list]

[size=200][b]About Opportunities to SI[/b][/size]
Opportunity to Self-Harm seems to be a common theme. Think about [i]why[/i] opportunities are important to slips and learn why opportunity is important to you.

[list]
[*][b]What made that opportunity more appealing than any other?[/b]

[*][b]Did you make an opportunity or was it there for the taking?[/b]

[*][b]What would you have done if there was no opportunity, how would you have handled your urge?[/b]

[*][b] If there had been no opportunity would your urge to self-harm have increased or decreased?[/b]

[*][b]What consitutes opportunity for you? Being alone? having new tools? waiting for the right feeling?[/b]

[*][b]If your opportunties were taken away, how would you feel?[/b]
[/list]

[b][size=200]After You Beat an Urge[/size][/b]
How do you beat your urges? Examine how you beat the last one so it can help you beat the next one.

[list]
[*][b]Did I identify what feelings were leading me to want to SI?[/b]

[*][b]If Yes - What were they, and how did I figure them out?[/b]

[*][b]What coping skills did I use to deal with these feelings?[/b]

[*][b]Were these coping skills the most effective I could have used?[/b]

[*][b]If No - What coping skills got me through?[/b]

[*][b]Why do I think they worked?[/b]

[*][b]How can I deal with these feelings more effectively next time, before the urge to SI sets in?[/b]
[/list]

Remember you don't have to answer all the questions if you don't feel up to it.
Last edited by balletomane on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smeagol
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Smeagol » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:28 pm

That's really useful, b, thanks.
Act in such a way as to make yourself feel capable and effective

The change starts now.

If in doubt, don't

Wandering
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Wandering » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:58 pm

Awesome, thanks!
Perhaps one day this too will be pleasant to remember
Visitors welcome!!! : My Place

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Proximity » Fri May 11, 2007 4:48 am

I just changed/fixed the formatting .. I hope that's OK ...

I changed this:

Code: Select all

[list][b][*]question number one:[/b]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis vel est. Aliquam felis. Nulla lacus. Cras venenatis, lacus non vestibulum rutrum, metus turpis adipiscing metus, sed cursus arcu ipsum vel leo. Phasellus ut eros. Praesent nibh purus, rhoncus ut, dignissim et, pharetra iaculis, lacus. Donec a diam. Praesent rutrum. Nunc in justo id nulla convallis interdum. Praesent hendrerit ligula vulputate felis. Vestibulum eleifend purus ut est. Nunc vitae magna. Praesent bibendum tincidunt ipsum. Etiam scelerisque felis quis massa. Vivamus ac est hendrerit quam tristique consequat. Duis sed purus et augue cursus vestibulum.
[b][*]question number two:[/b]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis vel est. Aliquam felis. Nulla lacus. Cras venenatis, lacus non vestibulum rutrum, metus turpis adipiscing metus, sed cursus arcu ipsum vel leo. Phasellus ut eros. Praesent nibh purus, rhoncus ut, dignissim et, pharetra iaculis, lacus. Donec a diam. Praesent rutrum. Nunc in justo id nulla convallis interdum. Praesent hendrerit ligula vulputate felis. Vestibulum eleifend purus ut est. Nunc vitae magna. Praesent bibendum tincidunt ipsum. Etiam scelerisque felis quis massa. Vivamus ac est hendrerit quam tristique consequat. Duis sed purus et augue cursus vestibulum.[/list]
which will look like this:
  • question number one:
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis vel est. Aliquam felis. Nulla lacus. Cras venenatis, lacus non vestibulum rutrum, metus turpis adipiscing metus, sed cursus arcu ipsum vel leo. Phasellus ut eros. Praesent nibh purus, rhoncus ut, dignissim et, pharetra iaculis, lacus. Donec a diam. Praesent rutrum. Nunc in justo id nulla convallis interdum. Praesent hendrerit ligula vulputate felis. Vestibulum eleifend purus ut est. Nunc vitae magna. Praesent bibendum tincidunt ipsum. Etiam scelerisque felis quis massa. Vivamus ac est hendrerit quam tristique consequat. Duis sed purus et augue cursus vestibulum.
  • question number two:
into this:

Code: Select all

[list][*][b]question number one:[/b]
[*][b]question number two:[/b]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis vel est. Aliquam felis. Nulla lacus. Cras venenatis, lacus non vestibulum rutrum, metus turpis adipiscing metus, sed cursus arcu ipsum vel leo. Phasellus ut eros. Praesent nibh purus, rhoncus ut, dignissim et, pharetra iaculis, lacus. Donec a diam. Praesent rutrum. Nunc in justo id nulla convallis interdum. Praesent hendrerit ligula vulputate felis. Vestibulum eleifend purus ut est. Nunc vitae magna. Praesent bibendum tincidunt ipsum. Etiam scelerisque felis quis massa. Vivamus ac est hendrerit quam tristique consequat. Duis sed purus et augue cursus vestibulum.[/list]
which will look like this:
  • question number one:
  • question number two:

mainly because it's incredibly hard for me to read large chunks of bold text, for some reson :-?

I hope that's OK!

:blkstar: prox. :cystar:
[robot uprising]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

Stormy Llwellyn
bus addict
bus addict

Re: Formatted Version of the Questions

Post by Stormy Llwellyn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:31 am

After:

Questions to Answer After A Slip
slips are chances to learn. you figure out what stresses are still too hard for you and you can work on how you'll deal with them next time you run into them. so instead of beating yourself up, take action.
  • have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.

yes
  • what had happened just before?

Someone I trusted failed my expectations and let me down.
  • what were you thinking and feeling?

anger, resentment, hurt
  • why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?

yes, your spouse should not do things to hurt you. Abill that wasn't payed and has tripled
  • how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.
    I gave the money to her to pay the bill 18 mo.s ago.I could have gone for a drive but that might have not been good either. IDK
  • were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the
    future? how?

extra stress from work, ill parents, my crap piece of crap car broke down again.
  • what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?

I didn't, I just saw red and went crazy. And I feel horrble.
  • in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?

IDK
  • name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.

skip
  • how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?

devestated, totally devastated, HELL NO. DIVORCE
  • are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?

skip
  • what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.

all I can think of right now is to break stuff up

About Opportunities to SI
Opportunity to Self-Harm seems to be a common theme. Think about why opportunities are important to slips and learn why opportunity is important to you.
  • What made that opportunity more appealing than any other?
  • Did you make an opportunity or was it there for the taking?
  • What would you have done if there was no opportunity, how would you have handled your urge?
  • If there had been no opportunity would your urge to self-harm have increased or decreased?
  • What consitutes opportunity for you? Being alone? having new tools? waiting for the right feeling?
  • If your opportunties were taken away, how would you feel?

After You Beat an Urge
How do you beat your urges? Examine how you beat the last one so it can help you beat the next one.
  • Did I identify what feelings were leading me to want to SI?
  • If Yes - What were they, and how did I figure them out?
  • What coping skills did I use to deal with these feelings?
  • Were these coping skills the most effective I could have used?
  • If No - What coping skills got me through?
  • Why do I think they worked?
  • How can I deal with these feelings more effectively next time, before the urge to SI sets in?
Mike's Place

God,grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference

TWLOHA

:moo: Kaylee