Before - comments welcome

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Before - comments welcome

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:21 pm

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

I will feel more in control of my feelings, I will feel relief from cutting, I may not feel the need to purge

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?

It will bring a feeling of control.
It may take away some feelings of anxiety

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

I want to feel calm, and in control. Hurting myself will probably help me to feel this

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

It will last until I go to bed tonight, and then, I'll just have to cope with whatever is thrown at me next

what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

I could read a book. That may make me fall asleep more easily, so I won't feel like this until tomorrow morning.

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

If I hurt myself, I'll feel disappointed, and anxious. If I read a book, I'll feel anxious anyway

Wandering
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Wandering » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:48 pm

Hey Rach - good on ya for posting here - I hope you've made it through :wink:

Do you know why you're so bad at this point? Did something particular happen? Maybe you could think about whether there are any ways that you could stop the anxiety getting this bad next time something like that happens?

Maybe you could also try to come up with a list of about 7 things you can try when you're feeling out of control - you've already got reading as one that helps you calm down, are there any others, perhaps listening to a relaxing cd and reading along with the lyrics, or using grounding techniques? (have a look at that coping techniques list :wink: )

Take care hun - thinking of ya
Andi x
Perhaps one day this too will be pleasant to remember
Visitors welcome!!! : My Place

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Wandering wrote:Do you know why you're so bad at this point? Did something particular happen? Maybe you could think about whether there are any ways that you could stop the anxiety getting this bad next time something like that happens?
I can't really remember what had happened ... probably something stupid like I'd gained weight, and was upset over that ... and wanted to purge ...
I don't know what I could do ... I always seem to get really anxious over my weight recently ...
Maybe you could also try to come up with a list of about 7 things you can try when you're feeling out of control - you've already got reading as one that helps you calm down, are there any others, perhaps listening to a relaxing cd and reading along with the lyrics, or using grounding techniques? (have a look at that coping techniques list )
Yeah, I'll have a look at the list, and write 7 things down for myself.

There's no after! :D
Thankyou