A coping survey for yourself

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Catylyx
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by Catylyx » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:58 pm

Name: Sammy

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: yes...i'm stopping.

If so what is your motivation: my mind, i started to have a total mental collapse and i knew that if i kept up the way i was, my si would get to the su point...

Favorite coping skills: painting

Coping skills that work the least: *shrug*

Safe places you can go: don't have any anymore...

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): school, not knowing what to do about someone i love, general family issues.

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: drawing. if at work i'd probably just walk around and talk to customers.

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): pray. then try and call someone if i'm able to later

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 9 months...going on 10. had one bad relapse, but i'm back on board again.

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd:

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): fights with my parents. already being triggered and not being able to talk to my safe people.

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Daniel, Nick, Sam...thats about it though...
<i>I am innocent and I have been set free
I no longer have chains around my feet
And no matter where I go or what they say
I am innocent</i> --Third Day
** 1 YEAR**~~back on the wagon 6/19/06~~

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:03 pm

Name: Rachel
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Reduce
If so what is your motivation: Less scarring, Don't wish to become suicidal
Favorite coping skills: Have none
Coping skills that work the least: Have none
Safe places you can go: Have none
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): Anything that upsets me a lot
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Have none
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): Have none
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 8 days
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd:
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): Arguments, already having been triggered and having no-one to talk to
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Have none

_____iamacliche

Post by _____iamacliche » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:34 pm

Name: Ameh (xbarrelofmygunx
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Stop.
If so what is your motivation: I'm tired of hiding away and I don't need SI anymore.
Favorite coping skills: Music, Writing, Talking on MSN.
Coping skills that work the least: talking if I'm not in the mood.
Safe places you can go: My room, whitey rock.
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): Parents, School (although I've left now).
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Breathing.
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): Breathe and think about what good will it do me if I do SI etc.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 11 weeks and 5 days.
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: n/a.
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): not being happy with who i am.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):R, L, sister, sister in law etc.

~*Yas*~

Post by ~*Yas*~ » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:21 pm

Name: Yasmine
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: been SI-free for a while
If so what is your motivation: it's summer, don't want people to see my scars
Favorite coping skills: go out with friends, painting
Coping skills that work the least: getting drunk
Safe places you can go: uhm... anywhere public i guess
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): relationships, myself
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: (currently neither at school nor working)
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): want to be able to wear short sleeves in the summer, which keeps me from cutting my arms
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 52 days
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): negative image of myself and the rest of the world
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): my best friend, V, wouldn't know what to do without her

troubles undone
post laureate
post laureate

Post by troubles undone » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:59 pm

Name: Charlotte

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: reduse SI

If so what is your motivation: scars, family, having to hide/lie all the time

Favorite coping skills: Music, elastic bands, BUS

Coping skills that work the least: 3minute game etc

Safe places you can go: errr....bus, friends house

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): school/exams/coursework, parents, not being able to achieve my potential, screwing up

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: See Amanda, elastic bands

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): Walk away/leave situation. If not possible, go see Amanda (mentor)

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: n/a

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: Not have gotten so angry

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): seeing graphic pictures/descriptions of SI, food, weight, suffering, death, hating myself

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Mog, Kayla, Nev, Amanda, Claire

"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die
It's that moment in life when you actually feel alive
So live for the moment
And take this advice, live by every word

Love is just a hoax
so forget anything that you have heard
And live for the moment now"

"VITA YOY EST VIVERE SED VALERE VITA EST."
-There is more to life than just being alive.

Candy
orange smartie
orange smartie

How to answer thes questions on line

Post by Candy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:59 pm

Hi this is Candy,
How can I post answer to these questins on line,I still new on this board and I do not know how to do this. It would help me alot to be able to copy them off or reply to them on line. Still struggling with SH and need all the support and help I can get,and this board has been very helpful to me.
Any advice will help me alot

Candy

:n00b:

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:30 pm

heya candy:

in order to copy and paste the answers, this is what you do:

go to the first post in the topic and highlight it. (you highlight by clicking on a word and dragging the mouse across while having the button held down), and then go to Edit in whatever browser you're using, and hit Copy.

Then you press this button on the forum:
and the post a reply page will come up. click inside the box where you type your text, and then go to edit and press Paste.

you have the answers! and then after that, you can answer the questions (just see what everyone else did for an example).

does this help?
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Candy
orange smartie
orange smartie

Re coping survery

Post by Candy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:38 pm

This is Candy,
Thanks for your help I am still having trouble doing it,not getting it. Sorry not getting it.Thanks so much :star:

black_23
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by black_23 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:30 pm

:star: Name: Simone

:star: Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Stop

:star: If so what is your motivation: my b/f, close friends, wanting to not hide anymore

:star: Favorite coping skills: Writing, Drawing, playing music, Red felt tip pen, elastic bands

:star: Coping skills that work the least: Ignoring it, drinking through it,

:star: Safe places you can go: my room i guess

:star: Identify stressors (be specific as poss): arguements with family/bf, work stress, memories and guilt, alcohol,

:star: If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Elastic bands, lists, imagine replys make when get home on BUS

:star: What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): To write, to come on Bus if at home.

:star: If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 7 weeks and one day

:star: Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): Pictures, su thoughts, memories,

:star: Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): G, L, J
'Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life' Picasso

'IS THERE NO WAY OUT OF THE MIND?' Sylvia Plath

My Poetry
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97459

My Place
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97307

false_smiles
town councillor
town councillor

Post by false_smiles » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:18 am

:star: Name: Amber

:star: Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Reducing gradully getting to stopping point

:star: If so what is your motivation: my sister

:star: Favorite coping skills: writting, cleaning

:star: Coping skills that work the least: rubberbands

:star: Safe places you can go: sweatshirt and t.c. buzz

:star: Identify stressors (be specific as poss): family, friends, and school

:star: If at school/work name good coping skills to use: writting

:star: What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): write when i feel like hurting, post on bus, turn phone off at 12:30

:star: If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 24 long hours

:star: If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: retreat to my sweatshirt not my room

:star: Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): other ppl hurting themselves while talking to me, my dad, oh a lot of stuff.....me getting mad at myself and other stuff....

:star: Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): S, J, K, & M
Hugs are definately welcome!<br>~Chremo for life!!! (Christian Emo= Chremo) God loves me just the way I am~ <br>*~.:.:.Amber.:.:.~*<br>P.S. Chremo's have more funn....but not TOO much funn....<br><br>failing at staying SI free. :(
<p><a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=101337">My Corner</a></p>

Candy
orange smartie
orange smartie

reply to coping skills survery

Post by Candy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:50 am

Name: Candy
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: yes,but it is hard to stop
If so what is your motivation: scars,family,friends and boy-friend,infection
Favorite coping skills: writing and walking,going out,painting and coloring
Coping skills that work the least:not using them when I need to Safe places you can go: out of the apartment
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): my mother,cutting,my weight,to many to list
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: none
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general) do not have one If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: N/A
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: call someone
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): to many to mention
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):friends,boy-friend,post on the bus,or call someone to talk to.

syn
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by syn » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:30 am

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI :redstar: I have stopped
If so what is your motivation:redstar: I want to be healthy in mind and body
Favorite coping skills :redstar: Writing, fire spinning, Yoga
Coping skills that work the least :redstar: Drinking
Safe places you can go :redstar: My home office, My coffeehouse, My bed
Identify stressors (be specific as poss):redstar: Work, and Interpersonal Conflict
If at school/work name good coping skills to use :redstar: The Serenity Prayer
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general) :redstar: I will call someone if it gets too intense.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free:redstar: 6 months
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd :redstar: NA
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss) :redstar: All sharps, interpersonal conflict, depression
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one) :redstar: My husband, My collective, My fire performing friends
~ Syn

with recognition we will grieve
that waking is the sorrow of ending dreams

expiation.org

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:29 pm

Name: jae
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: yes, trying to reduce...
If so what is your motivation: tired of hiding it, tired of the guilt...and the itching. (Sometimes I think that's my biggest motivation :roll:)
Favorite coping skills: writing, drawing, talking to people on bus, exercise, and drawing fake cuts with marker (it really does work for me).
Coping skills that work the least: deep breathing, trying to "reason" my way out of it...oh, and EATING! That doesn't work, just makes me feel guilty!
Safe places you can go: ...bus? :emlaugh: it doesn't seem safe at all at home
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): mom, my perfectionism, scheduling, parents fighting...
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: writing, drawing...
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): ...oh dear. Um...stall as long as possible, sometimes the urges go away. Otherwise, my safety plan is just damage control...not using dirty tools, always having bandages/Neosporin with me.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: almost two weeks, with two slips
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: Hmm. Not having a tool right next to me. That was...unfortunate.
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): feelings of inadequacy, rejection, imperfection, guilt, fear of my mom
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): My therapist...and my friends on bus--wonderful people like shellshell, xGirl_Anachronismx, beautiful_facade, and all the rest...you guys are wonderful. :)
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

lotus
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by lotus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:01 am

Name: Lotus

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: yes-not sure which

If so what is your motivation: my niece, my partner, therapy, wanna feel healthy

Favorite coping skills: cleaning/organizing, time with friends, grocery shopping (could be dangerous at times though), writing, reading, music, yoga, walking in the woods

Coping skills that work the least: SI subs like rubberbands and ice

Safe places you can go: bed, coffee shop, bookstores, yoga class

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): body image/food issues, fighting with partner, worrying about the future, depression

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: staying busy and around people, leaving tools at home

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): ummmm . . .sorta don't have one

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 3 days

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: called a friend

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): fighting with my partner, feeling ugly/fat, feeling abandoned or betrayed or angry, feeling numb or unreal or overwhelmed, flashbacks/intrusive memories

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): My T, my sisters or mom, B, C, J, S
"The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness."
-Screenplay of Bull Durham, by Ron Shelton

"Pleasure for the beautiful body, but pain for the beautiful soul."
-Oscar Wilde

Storm
one of us
one of us

fd

Post by Storm » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:43 pm

Name: Storm

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Neither

If so what is your motivation:have no motivation to stop

Favorite coping skills: Have never developed any

Coping skills that work the least: drinking

Safe places you can go: No where

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): weighing scales,body image, general feeling of Fatiness,eating with family, family agruements, loss of control, people telling me what to do and how to do it.

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Haven't developed any

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): None

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: a few hours

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: I would have done it no matter what

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): My mother, losing control of situations around me, overwhelming sense of anger

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Absolutely no one
Alice: I do; at least - at least I mean what I say -- that's the same thing, you know.
Hatter: Not the same thing a bit! Why, you might just as well say that, 'I see what I eat' is the same as 'I eat what I see'!

I want to simply fade away to nothing,be nothing,cause I am nothing...................................
" A disappearing act, the act of becoming invisible, is, in fact, a visible act, and rarely goes unnoticed. There is a facination with all human rebellions against material limits, with that small step into the supernatural. It feels magic."
--Wasted

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Neviah » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:14 pm

Name: Bex

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: trying to stop

If so what is your motivation: ben

Favorite coping skills: none other than SI

Coping skills that work the least: drinking, ice cubes, elastic band

Safe places you can go: ..nowhere

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): work, difficult people, home

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: i dont know.. coffee

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): None

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 1 week

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: i dont know

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): work, weight, bruises (im pale so i bruise easy)

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): ben

Bluepeter36
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Bluepeter36 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:10 am

Name: Alli
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: yea (trying its not working so well)
If so what is your motivation: not getting in trouble with my mother, being able to wear a bathing suit
Favorite coping skills: MUSIC
Coping skills that work the least: i dunno tring to wait it out till the urge goes away
Safe places you can go: idunno
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): anything even stupid little things
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: not SI'd but i had to
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): i dunno

-Kim-
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by -Kim- » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:51 pm

ok lets try this

Name: Kim
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: trying to reduce
If so what is your motivation: Dale
Favorite coping skills: playing with silly putty or a stress ball, and playing the piano
Coping skills that work the least: doing drugs/drinking
Safe places you can go: um i dont think i have one
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): my parents arguing with me and school.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: writing down as many song lyrics as i can. getting up and going for a quick walk. reading somthing funny.
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): for home if I start to feel really depressed and worry im gonna SI I usualy bake somthing cuz it takes a while somtimes and you have to keep and eye on it and stuff
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: i still am but I have been trying to reduce
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: NOT had a bath. called somone up or just done somthing destracting
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): talking about SI or talking about people being hospitalized.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): I dont have any
you are like a sunset to me, your all kinds of beautiful

5th section
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring
Location: if rain makes Britain great then Manchester is greater

Post by 5th section » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:25 pm

OK, just joined BUS (hi everyone!) and here seems a good place to start.

Name: Dan
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Yes
If so what is your motivation: it's more trouble than it's worth! especially the awkward questions
Favorite coping skills: either 5 minute game, or get outside and walk around very fast while trying to get my thoughts in order (sounds odd but it often works).
Coping skills that work the least: i don't really do distractions...the urge comes back after a while
Safe places you can go: haven't really got one
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): feeling like I'm a failure or worried i'm going to be, family fights, relationship breakdown
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: keep mind active (eg. I try to remember as much as poss. of a piece of music I'm learning), stay away from sharp implements
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): still trying to work one out. it's a bit hit and miss!
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: currently SI'ing
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: put the THING somewhere it wasn't so obvious! it was just sitting there, it was all too easy...
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): feeling like I'm a weird nutcase who'll never have a normal life. things to do with my ex, mainly beating myself up for having lost her.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): none so far but I'm working on it. vague plans to bring up the subject with someone I think I can trust cos I'm still not out.
...then one day I realised that the people you see in waiting rooms and car parks and on trains are really far more interesting. That they all have whole novels inside them, a fabric of scar tissues, photos and memories. They are comedies and tragedies and - more often - both at the same time.
- Anna James (1984-2007)

son of ultimate starshine / brother of Eisa & Sprink / Birdie's ornithologist / married to Mande / Chey's uncle
- my place
- my band (or more accurately, the band of which I am the bassist) some SI/SU triggers in lyrics...proceed with caution...

GOING STRAIGHT SINCE 1ST DECEMBER 2009

angel325
growing roots
growing roots

Post by angel325 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:26 pm

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: sometimes, depends on the mood. some days yes, other times i just wanna keep doing it.
If so what is your motivation: i'm tired of hiding it from my mom, makes me depressed afterwards.
Favorite coping skills: writing a journal or just random stuff, taking a shower
Coping skills that work the least: calling people (i can never pick up the phone)
Safe places you can go: don't really know
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): school tests, teachers, school (felling i'm working too hard for no reason or purpose), seing myself in the mirror, being in a group of people, people making me talk, mom drinking.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: none, except just running away from there, then again the question is to where...
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: four days
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: just relax, convince myself i really didn't care if i failed the tesrt next day
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): my T, and a good friend who knows... the thing is i just don't have the strength to call them when i should, not sure i wanna call anyone at that moment
"Along with the idea of romantic love, she was introduced to another- physical beauty. Probably the most destructive ideas in the history of human thought."- Toni Morrison