A coping survey for yourself

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

xStarBright
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by xStarBright » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Name: Annie

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Yepp.

If so what is your motivation: Because I "should".

Favorite coping skills: Counting 8's.

Coping skills that work the least: Remember good/happy thing's.

Safe places you can go: My special place. ^-^

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): Anxiousity, un-talanted, angry, can't let go, revenge..

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Read stuff on walls, get on with work.

What is your current saftey plan (for work/school/general): Dunno..

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: A week or so, I think.

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: Not have equiptment so near.

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): Un-appreciated, feeling of no talent.

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Nobody.. BUS. =D
don't worry if i'm not here - i come and go. :cowsleep:
place

Decrescendo
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Decrescendo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:25 am

Name: Emily
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: reduce first
If so what is your motivation: i need to rid myself of at least one issue
Favorite coping skills: running, running, running
Coping skills that work the least: knocking myself out because eventually i wake up
Safe places you can go: I don't have a safe place here, that's why I SI
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): when i don't hear from people or I feel they are distancing themselves from me. my weight (my SI lives alongside my eating disorder). Hopelessness, career anxieties.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: I need some.
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): Well.... I don't know
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: n/a
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: I don't know because it's such a blur and I feel I was most cognizant afterwards. That's what scares me about SI. I could have called somebody I guess but it was 3:00 a.m.
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): everything that i listed under stressors
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): I don't have any. I graduated from college a year ago, and all of my friends scattered across the country, leading to a sharp downward spiral ED and SI wise. That's probably one of the biggest contributors to my SI.

ultimate starshine
buskateer
buskateer

Post by ultimate starshine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:16 am

Name: :star: final star :star:
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: :star: trying to reduce :star:
If so what is your motivation: :star: wanting to reduce i guess :star:
Favorite coping skills: :star: tlking to friends, the internet, BUS, ST :star:
Coping skills that work the least: :star: rubber bands on your wrist :star:
Safe places you can go: :star: the kitchen, clubbing, my room (sometimes) :star:
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): :star: my weight, my SI, thinking people hate me, assuming things wrongly, communication lax :star:
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: :star: keeping busy and tlking to a friend/colleague :star:
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): :star: tlk to someone and get in the middle of whats going on asap so I cant SI :star:
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: :star: n/a :star:
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: :star: not being in my bedroom in my own and not being so damn urgey and not drinking alcohol :star:
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): :star: seeing blood, anger, hatred, arguing, my weight, thinking about my SI :star:
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): :star: i have 2 friends i can contact. the others wont listen to me when i need them :star:
Sprink is my wonderful gobby (goblin) daughter
I am 5th Sections mummy
RDS is my amazing sister
Elmoscaresme is my adorable niece
I am Eisa's Fairy

"The marks I make, The steps I take, Prove i still exist" ~ written by me."

"Never let the fear of striking out... stop you from playing the game" - A cinderella story

Place

Simplymisunderstood23

Post by Simplymisunderstood23 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:11 pm

Name:
Tiffany
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI:
no not really, I just don't want to feel alone.
Favorite coping skills:
Music
Coping skills that work the least:
sleeping
Safe places you can go:
a friends house
Identify stressors (be specific as poss):
feeling like I have no one, feeling like my friends dont care, breaking up with my boyfriend and missing him so much, being put down by family, no money for college, feeling like a loser.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):
no one

sunflowerwoman
settling in
settling in

Post by sunflowerwoman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:31 pm

Name: sunflowerwoman
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: stop si
If so what is your motivation: to end this destructive, unhealthy behavior
Favorite coping skills: feeling words chart, reading,journaling
Coping skills that work the least: drawing on myself, holding ice
Safe places you can go: library, work
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): boss, finding out people that i'm close to have su thoughts
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: feelings word chart
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): while at work not allowed to si, don't want to endanger my job
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 2 months
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd:
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss):
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): brother, my best friend(if i can get a hold of her

irishpecas14
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by irishpecas14 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:22 am

okay...

:star: Name: E
:star: Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: i'm trying to reduce... so i can stop.
:star: If so what is your motivation: knowing it is unhealthy, wanting to have less trust issues, it hurts others, etc.
:star: Favorite coping skills: music, distracting myself, being around people
:star: Coping skills that work the least: ice.
:star: Safe places you can go: public/common rooms
:star: Identify stressors (be specific as poss): feeling unwanted/lonley, school anxiety, depression, hurt, anger, etc.
:star: If at school/work name good coping skills to use: being fully clothed.
:star: What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): don't have one.

:star: If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: put it off longer with distractions until i fell asleep.
:star: Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): disappointment, lonliness, being alone, seeing my arms/legs, anger, feeling numb.
:star: Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): maybe.

heidibeth
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by heidibeth » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:56 pm

[edited as it contained real name]
currently trying to stop SI
I am tired of having to go to the hospital for treatment of infections: I have better skills now
Journaling, Arts and crafts
Avoiding dealing with my emtions
Therapy, group therapy, library,
Flashbacks,feelings of anger, triggers of past abuse:
My safety plan is to talk about my feelings and thoughts during group and indivdal therapy
I could have called the on cal clientian
anger, smell of alchool, worthlessness, anxiety
Tammy Therapist

Spanna
one of us
one of us

Post by Spanna » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Hello I'm new =)

Name: Anna****
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Yes
If so what is your motivation: My boyfriend, I don't actually want to but he is the driving force
Favorite coping skills: think of him
Coping skills that work the least: thinking (BAD IDEA_
Safe places you can go: ? no where
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): triggers (hearing things about SI), old scars, mirrors, school, pressure, father.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: try and chill out
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): wha?
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: aw shit, not long.
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: I don't really want to change it, that's the thing. I know it helps!
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Ash

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:58 am

Name: Infectiousbrain
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: I quit on 12/2/07 but am still struggling not to replase every day.
If so what is your motivation: It's life consuming,and a bad way of coping with things.
Favorite coping skills: Rubber bands,hot showers,curling up into little balls,and crying (if I could)
Coping skills that work the least: Drawing on my arm with red pen.It tends to make me want to cut even more to see the blood.
Safe places you can go: To sleep.
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): My brain is a huge factor here.I've always put myself down since I was little.Problems with friends,arguments,Someone saying something cruel etc.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Breathe,focus on the task at hand,run around in circles,dance when no one is looking.
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): I don't really have one.I've almost never SI-ed anywhere outside my own house,really.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 8 and a half months.
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd:
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): Nothing and everything will trigger me.Somedays I'll just be watching TV and not really paying attention and BOOM out of nowhere I feel like SI-ing right then and there.It's random and frusterating.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):I really don't have anyone to go to if I slip up.I'm afraid of what that would mean,and the pressure it would put on them and our friendship.I DO have people I know would help me,but I would honestly be afraid and too ashamed to call them,since none of them SI,or really understand it.
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

~*^*~Chiisa na chikyuu ga mawaru hodo yasashisa mi ni tsuku yo.Mo ichido anata o dakishimetai dekiru dake sotto~*^*~

screamtobreathe
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by screamtobreathe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:02 pm

let's give it a try....

Name: macey
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: always and never at the same time....
If so what is your motivation: the ones who actually care about me.
Favorite coping skills: haaaa. the one i'm trying to stop... :roll:
Coping skills that work the least: thinking things through. =/
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): my mother. and all her crap.
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: thought a little longer about it. called someone. focused on something other than what i wanted to do until the urge passed.
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): thinking about *he-who-is-gone*. that's my main one right now.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): there's one i can call absolutely anytime. the other two that i could if i really needed to, i always feel guiltyabout wasting their time even though they insist they don't mind.
[[myplace]]
pretty as a car crash [lj]

another night, another dream wasted on you.

don't wish. don't start. wishing only wounds the heart.

tears1315
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by tears1315 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:43 am

Name: Katura
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: stop
If so what is your motivation: My self-esteem (trying to feel a little better a/b my body
Favorite coping skills: writing poetry or random rantings and rubber bands
Coping skills that work the least: drawing on your skin w/ red ink
Safe places you can go: my apt. w/ my girlfriend
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): work, school (grades), family, friends
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: rubber bands
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): try to remind myself of the consequences, or expressing myself through poetry if that doesnt work its on to the rubber bands
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: roughly 3 months
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): i hate confrontation so big fights, and grades are probably my biggest downfall right now, and you know just waking up in that depressive mood
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): my girlfriend

red_viola
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by red_viola » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Name: ruby
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: stay stopped
If so what is your motivation: people don't want me to hurt myself, and i don't want anymore scars
Favorite coping skills: talking to someone
Coping skills that work the least: red marker
Safe places you can go: my closet
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): schoolwork. pressure. pets dieing. fights. friends. people leaving. bad days.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: snapping rubberband. or pinching. or breathing, if i'm thinking straight.
What is your current saftey plan (for work/school/general): just to take a break.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: uhm...since june 12th. 10 days. wow!!
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd:---
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): feeling worthless and like i'm never important. being yelled at. bottling it up. not screaming or crying.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): i can text a few people just about anything and usually get at least 1 response.
My apologizes in advance if the above post makes no sense. I do that a lot.
*no longer proofreading posts in my place*
“Anyone can give up, it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.”~Unknown (to me atleast)

Sandrah-Jayne
one of us
one of us

Post by Sandrah-Jayne » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:22 am

Name: Cassie
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: I want to try
If so what is your motivation: My friend Jacqui, I hate myself for hurting her
Favorite coping skills: Logging onto the net, talking to anyone about anything, going for a walk, showering - as long as I don't have my blades with me
Coping skills that work the least:Showering if I have my blades with me
Safe places you can go:Nowhere
Identify stressors (be specific as poss):school, my parents, my brother, my failures, me.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use:Staying away from drug stores, not going to the bathroom by myself, studying or doing homework, going to the mall with friends and playing DDR
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general):I keep wound dressing in my bag
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free:I've managed to be SI free for a few days but I know that It's going to happen today
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd:Been less of a failure, then I'd have no reason to SI
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss):Hurting Jac, my dad, my brother, me.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):I have one but I don't use her[/i]

Siofra
being the change
being the change

Post by Siofra » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:29 am

Name: Siofra
:star: Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: kind of
:star: If so what is your motivation: don't want more scars
:star: Favorite coping skills: running
:star: Coping skills that work the least: procrastinating
:star: Safe places you can go: anywhere public
:star: Identify stressors (be specific as poss): school, my mother, money problems
:star: If at school/work name good coping skills to use:
:star: What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general):
:star: If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free:
:star: Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): blood,
:star: Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): none

Miss_Me
settling in
settling in

Post by Miss_Me » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Name: Katie

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Trying to stop
again

If so what is your motivation: To have a better life

Favorite coping skills: Going places where there's no sharps, coming to BUS and doing the distractions and games. Calling the mental health crisis line.

Coping skills that work the least: Grounding Techniques

Safe places you can go: Eastsider Conveneince store which is open 24 hours

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): Anxiety, depression

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: N/A
at home

What is your current saftey plan (for work/school/general): Don't have one

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 3 days

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: Went to Eastsider or called the mental health crisis line. Or played games or distractions on bus

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): anxiety, depression, feeling lonely, seeing fresh scars, blood.

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Kristin, BUS, mental health crisis line
<A HREF="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=126548">Cuz Everybody Hurts Sometime: My Place</A>

"Every cloud has a silver lining but lightening kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it." -Anonymous

"Darkness imprisoning me. All that I see. Absolute horror. I cannot live. I cannot die. Trapped in myself. Body my holding cell." -Metallica

yellow_submarine
building community
building community

Post by yellow_submarine » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:42 am

Name: Mary (yellow_submarine)

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: trying, as always

If so what is your motivation: I don't want this to be the only thing that makes me feel better about myself

Favorite coping skills: writing, drawing, playing the piano

Coping skills that work the least: over thinking everything. and that whole drawing on your skin thing.

Safe places you can go: my room- my bed.

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): overwhelming schoolwork, sometimes when my OCD really acts up

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: writing/drawing, again

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): to keep myself from doing it, I guess just trying to get through the urge. for when i do it, i keep bandaids and such in a little kit in my bag

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 32 days

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): my mom, people yelling at me/talking down to me, being ignored, and the same as the stressors

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): bus, i always have bus...there are some people that say they'll always be there, but really never are
Keep Moving Forward. ~Meet the Robinsons
"Unheard-of circumstances demand unheard-of rules." ~Jane Eyre
"...and I didn't want to make trouble, so I hung quietly on." ~The Bell Jar
"Numbing the pain for awhile will make it worse when you finally feel it." ~Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

My BUS family:
sisters: Trinity17, leemc77, waydownsouth, stephystar
cousin: Arctic Fox
:)
Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

xCheerUpFailurex
creating your space
creating your space

Post by xCheerUpFailurex » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:07 am

:uhhh: Name: Heather
:uhhh: Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: trying to stop
:uhhh: If so what is your motivation: It hurts y future hubby
:uhhh: Favorite coping skills: still looking
:uhhh: Coping skills that work the least:talking
:uhhh: Safe places you can go: anywhere but my room
:uhhh: Identify stressors (be specific as poss): mom, school, certain people
:uhhh: If at school/work name good coping skills to use: writing, making lists, reading, studying
:uhhh: What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): stay in crowded places, talk to future hubby, pile work on my plate
:uhhh: If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: currently 3 days.. keep you posted..
:uhhh: If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: had more control
:uhhh: Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): all of the stressors above
:uhhh: Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):Future hubby. alejandro, cody, tayor
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself. - Charlie Chaplin

neverENOUGH2010
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by neverENOUGH2010 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:20 am

Name: Carley
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: yes. its been only 5 days...
If so what is your motivation: myself. my future.
Favorite coping skills: writing. taking a bath.
Coping skills that work the least: talking about it.
Safe places you can go: no where.
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): boys. family. past.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: breathe. relax. clear my head.
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): stay calm at all costs
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 5 days
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: calmed down before deciding to SI
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): being called a slut/whore/skank. being reminded of my past...
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): becky courtney chelsey megan
+MySacrifice+

Its the little moments in life that make you realize how worth while it is to conitinue on even in the worst of pain.......

"obstacles are put in our way to see if what we want is truly worth fighting for"

I do not need to SI. I am stronger than my depression. I will not let it get the best of me or my life. My cutting does not define who i am.

36 hours SI free....

KLove24
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by KLove24 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Name:
Sarah

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI:
yes

If so what is your motivation:
my son and the fact that I don't want him to ever think that it is a normal coping mechanism

Favorite coping skills:
i'm still trying to figure those out
internet
tv
reading
writing it down

Coping skills that work the least:
talking to friends
talking to family

Safe places you can go:
nowhere really

Identify stressors (be specific as poss):
depression
fear
feeling unloved

If at school/work name good coping skills to use:
?

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general):
I am going to try to distract myself and write down my feelings. I'm going to look at my tattoo and know that I don't want it to not mean anything. I am going to look at my son, play with him try to remember that I never want to harm him in anyway.

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free:
Sunday will be 1 month

I could have tried some of my coping mechanisms. I could have gone to sleep.

fighting with people
feeling desperate

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):
my husband
my brother
<center>

<A HREF="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... A>*replies welcome

</center>

styled_wrong
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by styled_wrong » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Name: styed_wrong

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: have stopped, trying to keep it that way

If so what is your motivation: i want to work with children its frowned upon

Favorite coping skills: colouring

Coping skills that work the least: drawing on arms

Safe places you can go: havent any

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): parents, job offers

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: count to ten?

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): dont have one

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: about 3 months

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):dont have any
scars are tattoos with better stories
it's hard to answer the question whats wrong, when nothing is 'right'
Not all scars show. Not all wounds heal. Sometimes you cant always see the pain someone feels