A coping survey for yourself

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Maeve
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Maeve » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Name: Maeve
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Perhaps reduce a little
If so what is your motivation: Fear of people at work finding out, strain on relationships
Favorite coping skills: Painting, reading, knitting
Coping skills that work the least: Snapping rubber bands, drawing on self
Safe places you can go: None at the moment
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): General stress at work, current biggest stressor is my relationship with my bf as it seems that it might be ending
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: I sometimes bring my knitting to work and that's a good distraction, otherwise I'll read or play games on the internet
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): Calling hotlines
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: Perhaps turning off the light and actually trying to get to sleep rather than convincing myself that I'd never be able to get to sleep
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): Rejection/abandonment, doing something wrong (or something I percieve as wrong)
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Augie, Bethany, and hotlines
"You know those days when you get the mean reds?...The blues are when you're getting fatter or its been raining to long; you're just sad that's all. But the mean reds are terrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't even know what you're afraid of."
-Breakfast at Tiffany's

Сумасществие не всегда выет. Иногда он михий голос что говорит, 'Есть место в ваш ум за один ещё?'
"Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice saying, 'Is there room in your head for one more?'"

MyPlace MySpace (Caution, may trigger!)

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Name: May

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI:
yeah... and i have been free for 157 days...

If so what is your motivation:
getting a more normal life and learning to cope in a healthy way...

Favorite coping skills:
snapping a rubber band on my arm...

Coping skills that work the least:
will-power and warm baths...

Safe places you can go:
the pool... Bus...

Identify stressors (be specific as poss):
my dad and his temper... feeling guilty over his being angry even when it has nothing to do with me...

If at school/work name good coping skills to use:
breathing...

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general):
if at home... leave my dad when he gets angry... distractions as books and music... in public... go to bathroom... breathe slowly to regain control... leave triggering places...

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free:
157 days... or 5 months and 1 week...

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd:

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss):
my dad... people being unfriendly... anxiety... stress... paranoia... food...

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one):
H... that's all...
/May

:lblstar: Never underestimate the power of silence... :lblstar:
:lblstar: micro-chipped mental cyber twins taking over NewZealand... :lblstar:
:lblstar: ever reached out for someones hand only to find it wasn't there? :lblstar:
My place of happy-scared-random-thoughts dealing with motherhood and anxiety, visitors welcome

sonumb
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by sonumb » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:05 am

Name: Liz
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Wanting to stop

If so what is your motivation: being "normal", able to swim and tank-tops

Favorite coping skills: running (can't now tho beacuse of stuff), talking

Coping skills that work the least: wearing myself out, I just get more tired and upset

Safe places you can go: a coffee house that I haunt, sometimes my best friend's house

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): worried about money for college and making my parents happy

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: no clue

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general) : I... don't think I haves one.

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: a few hours

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: I could have gotten out of the house, and called my friend and told her that I needed her now.

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): when my dad is angry and talks to me angerly, when I'm really tired and the stress just builds.

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Katie

moreadventurous
one of us
one of us

Post by moreadventurous » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:34 am

Name: Megan

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: <i>Trying</i> to stop...

If so what is your motivation: To find out how to feel emotions and deal with them more effectively.

Favorite coping skills: Not sure I have established any effective ones :X

Coping skills that work the least: Drinking, drugging, general recklessness .

Safe places you can go: A few friend's houses

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): grad school, being around family

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Still working on it :)

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): Still working on that too.

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 5 days :P

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: Should have just let someone help me by talking to them about it.

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): family, not feeling things... anything stressful or really emotional

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): none really :/
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kittyfever
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by kittyfever » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:08 pm

:grnstar: Name: Ally
:grnstar: Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Trying to recover
:grnstar: If so what is your motivation: My boyfriend and being better
:grnstar: Favorite coping skills: Internet, writing, sleeping--I like to drift..
:grnstar: Coping skills that work the least: The many "fake pain" strategies
:grnstar: Safe places you can go: My room (sometimes), boyfriend's house..maybe my aunts
:grnstar: Identify stressors (be specific as poss): My mom, school, past memories
:grnstar: If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Reminding myself that I'm there to be a better prsn and SI doesn't fit in
:grnstar: What is your current safety plan (for work/shool/general): Don't know..I would probably just leave if I ever felt that sick..
:grnstar: If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 7 months and 2 days
:grnstar: Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): Mom, homework, memories, social situations, pretty ppl, being shunned/ignored
:grnstar: Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): It's just my bf..he's all I've got. Otherwise I talk to stuffed animals. :oops:

vampirelover
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by vampirelover » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:28 pm

Name: vampirelover (Jos)
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: yes its been three months
If so what is your motivation: I dont want to hurt people who care about me anymore and i have enough scars i dont want anymore.
Favorite coping skills: elastic bands , ice cubes and talking
Coping skills that work the least: red pen
Safe places you can go: my bed
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): when im angry at people and when i think about my past
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: elastic bands and talking to my friends/teachers
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): I try and avoid being alone and if i get to stressed during class I go for walk round the school and have a breather.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 3 months ish
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd:
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): anger and lonelyness
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Celine and Pip

sad2live
one of us
one of us

Answer to the self survey

Post by sad2live » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:43 pm

Name: Danielle
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: yes
If so what is your motivation: I want to take care of my self and become an effective person
Favorite coping skills: DBT skills
Coping skills that work the least: meditation
Safe places you can go: Holly's
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): family and job
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: keeping busy
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): calling my therapist if I feel overwhelmed with suicidal thoughts
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 12 hours
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: don't know
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): family (mother) and work (boss)
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Holly, Tammy, Billy, Carmen
Razors pain me, rivers are damp
Acid stains me, drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful, nooses give
Gas smells awful, you might as well live!

PassingCloud
post laureate
post laureate

Re: A coping survey for yourself

Post by PassingCloud » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:44 pm

:purpstar: Name: Clouds
:purpstar: Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: reduce.
:purpstar: If so what is your motivation: unfortunately... my gf. i wish *i* was my motivation. but i'm just no there yet.
:purpstar: Favorite coping skills: throwing a ball against the wall
:purpstar: Coping skills that work the least: rubber bands
:purpstar: Safe places you can go: underneath the kitchen table
:purpstar: Identify stressors (be specific as poss): the current situation at the hospital. the situation at home. not knowing about work.
:purpstar: If at school/work name good coping skills to use: play with my soft spikey ball
:purpstar: What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): breathing exercises
:purpstar: If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: i am. si free for ... uhm three days.
:purpstar: If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: talke to the nurses IP.
:purpstar: Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): flashbacks, stress (any kind atm), emotional turmoil. (sorry that's as specific as i can get atm)
:purpstar: Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): mia.
[I'm talking about my life.][I can't seem to get that through to you.]
[I'm not just talking about one person,][I'm talking about everybody.]
[I'm talking about form, I'm talking about content.][I'm talking about inter-relationships.]
[I'm talking about God, the Devil, Hell, Heaven!]
[Do you understand?]
[Finally?]
(one flew over the cuckoo's nest)

:redstar:
My Place

vampirelover
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by vampirelover » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Name: vampirelover
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: either would be good
If so what is your motivation: to stop hurting my friends
Favorite coping skills: talking or elastic bands
Coping skills that work the least: red pen
Safe places you can go: my room
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): parents, abuser, bullies, i think i deserve it.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: talking
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general):
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: er a few hours
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: yes
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): life in genral
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one: perry

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

Re: A coping survey for yourself

Post by treasure » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:22 pm

Name: treasure
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: trying to reduce? i've managed to stop for a while and i will probably be disappointed if i si again. i'm hoping i can avoid si for as long as possible.
If so what is your motivation: to be able to wear short sleeves, to not feel quite so messed up
Favorite coping skills: realising feelings are for a reason and that the situation will not be changed by si.
playing music
coming on bus or on the internet generally
writing things out
Coping skills that work the least:
Safe places you can go: if i'm at home, it helps to go to bed just for a little while. or to sit in the corner.
if i'm in town i can sit in the city park, or go to the library
if i'm at uni, well i sometimes feel safer in the toilets :oops: otherwise the computer lab
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): expecting too much of myself
sad feelings i can't control, sometimes triggered by tv, movies etc
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: controlling my breathing
walking
What is your current safety plan (for work/school/general): i have a list of coping stuff on my computer so if i can't think of what to do i can look at that. but generally i don't have a plan for dealing with urges cos i think it will be different each time.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: about 6 weeks
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): my sister, or L
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

Beasty
troll sniper
troll sniper

Post by Beasty » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:06 pm

Name: Silver
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: trying not to relapse, actually
If so what is your motivation: a friend
Favorite coping skills: umm....chocolate
Coping skills that work the least: not sure
Safe places you can go: as it is in my mind...none
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): everything is random.
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: writing, ummm, i dont know
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): i dont have one, usually i can deal
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: ummm 6 months though with a slip yesterday
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: n/a
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): random
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Just one. but they aren't usually around

god my answers stink.
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. What? Look, somebody’s got to have some damn perspective around here. Boom, sooner or later. BOOM!" - Susan Ivanova

Eisa = Beasty's Twin

Beasty's Place!

sonumb
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by sonumb » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:21 pm

Name: Elizabeth

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: stop

If so what is your motivation: to be strong without the help of self abuse

Favorite coping skills: tv...

Coping skills that work the least: ignoring it

Safe places you can go: homers. or coffee.

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): being sick, feeling like I can't make dad happy

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: getting outside.

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general) : I don't have one

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 4 hours

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: I make myself talk to someone, get someone on the phone

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): feeling like I'm not good enough for people. Feeling fat.

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): josh. alex. katie.

if anyone can help me please pm me.

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:41 am

Name: Jason
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Yes
If so what is your motivation: Making a promise to parents.
Favorite coping skills: At the moment, writing angrily about my emotions. Tires me out then.
Coping skills that work the least: The ice cube trick, can't move my hand afterwards
Safe places you can go: An abandoned place near the local church
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): When people start taking the piss, when I get homework back in class and it isn't what I wanted, also when I don't feel supported by the teachers even though I put in 100% effort
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: just writing angrily again about wanting to kill the person that's taking the piss out of me.
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): Just having no knife near me at all, stops me from SI-ing so easily.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: This is my 6th day.
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): Feeling like I've failed a friend, feeling like I could've done more to help out others.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): David, Rebecca, My sister, Miles
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)

lat65
one of us
one of us

Post by lat65 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:28 pm

Name: Dayne
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Not really
If so what is your motivation:
Favorite coping skills: taking a bath, running really hard
Coping skills that work the least: breathing exercises, being alone
Safe places you can go: Not sure yet
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): failure, dwelling on past regrets, any reminders of failure, loss of independence. it's a way to gain some sense of control
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: not sure yet
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): take a xanax
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free:
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: I don't know. Should have called a friend.
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): reminders of failure. right now it almost feels like everything is a trigger, since my life is turned completely upside down
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Gabe, Alla - but they're all literally thousands of miles away.

pelagic
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by pelagic » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:44 am

Name: Pelagic

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Yes

If so, what is your motivation: Pride, to be proud of myself for achieving what I once thought was the Impossible

Favorite coping skills: Reading, listening to music, going on BUS, DVDs, any form of distracting

Coping skills that work the least: emergency boxes

Safe places you can go: long long long walks

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): Anger/frustration, feeling helpless, feeling insignificant, feelings of loneliness.

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: Listen to music (headphones), doodling, daydreaming, asking a friend for a hug.

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): Excuse myself to the washroom, wash my hands with cold water, shut my eyes and try to calm myself down, telling myself that this hard moment will pass.

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: eleven days

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: n/a

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): seeing something bleeding, usually medical shows. Remembering what SI feels like, seeing other's scars, admiration of my own scars.

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): I feel so ridiculous for not having anyone...

steady hands
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by steady hands » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:24 am

Name: gretchen.

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: reduce, I guess. although stopping soon.

If so what is your motivation: I want to get better. or at least better than I was.

Favorite coping skills: going for a walk, smoking, sleeping.

Coping skills that work the least: rubber band. drawing lines.

Safe places you can go: for a walk. pretty much anywhere but home.

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): family (arguing). homework, general things i'm supposed to do. bad thoughts.

If at school/work name good coping skills to use: focus on something else. get distracted by something.

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): find something else to do. If I can, go for a walk, if not, stay around other people.

If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: thirty something days.

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: gotten into a safer situation instead of stepping into the unsafe one.

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): bad thoughts. stress. being generally upset.

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): c & b, michelle, sk (maybe).

amylynn_
one of us
one of us

coping survey.

Post by amylynn_ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:23 am

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: stop.
If so what is your motivation: I need to stop. I can't keep doing it anymore.
Favorite coping skills: sleeping, crying, listening to music, talking to the two people that actually know/understand this.
Coping skills that work the least: apologizing, criticizing myself, blaming myself.
Safe places you can go: my bedroom, my boyfriend's house.
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): stressful situations, lots of alone time
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: breathing slowly, writing letters.
What is your current safety plan (for work/shool/general): writing letters to the friends that know, drinking water.
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: three days. will be longer. i start therapy tomorrow.
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): stressful/upsetting situations, mirrors after confrontation.
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): my boyfriend & best friend.
"tell them to look up and remember the stars"
www.twloha.com

mikedemons
growing roots
growing roots

Post by mikedemons » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:30 am

Name: mike
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI:i have reduced and am working on stopping
If so what is your motivation: its become to consumeing
Favorite coping skills: drawing on myself w/ red markers and writeing
Coping skills that work the least: talking to anyone in person
Safe places you can go: grab my favort hoodie and jump into my bed
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): feeling alone or like i dont count for anything being hard on myself
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: get more conumed w/ work and if its slow then so smoke a cig
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): i have a list of 6 tasks that i have to all of witch aim on pointing out the positve sides of myself and that consume as much time as possable and if all else fails nothign beats wrapping myself up in my favort hoodie and blanket in my bed
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: this day 6 now
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: the last time i si'd lost confindence in myself and was being very hard on myself so i started to take away the pressure and be nicer to myself
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): self-pressure, self- hate, anger, feeling numb, when i feel alone, lost, hurt, i'm sure i'll find more
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): i got two good freinds i trust enfoe to talk to when i am upset
Sometimes I feel like my sun as run away. Drifting from here to there and the feeling stays the same. The thoughts stay in my head and they always haunt me.......
-----------------------------------------------------
My place --->http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=120025

butterflygirl348
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by butterflygirl348 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:06 pm

Name: KB
Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Stopped officially in 4/07
If so what is your motivation: to be healthy
Favorite coping skills: friends
Coping skills that work the least: mindfulness
Safe places you can go: friend's house
Identify stressors (be specific as poss): work, family, myself
If at school/work name good coping skills to use: deep breathing
What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): calling friends
If you are not currently SI'ing how long have you been si free: 7 months w/ one SUish slip
If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: called someone
Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): work, family, myself, TV, books, etc
Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): any of my friends

lily_trying
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by lily_trying » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:01 am

Are you currently trying to stop or reduce SI: Yes, Somewhere between trying to not relapse/trying to stop.

If so what is your motivation: Not wanting to go back to where I was before, physical/health reasons, doing it for others (& hopefully doing it for myself eventually).

Favorite coping skills: Distractions like the internet, films, etc ... Writing... talking to others... visualization.

Coping skills that work the least: Most of the usual relaxation type of exercises, also things that are similar to self-harm.

Safe places you can go: Somewhere that I'm around others when possible.

Identify stressors (be specific as poss): Health issues, money/work issues, certain memories/flashbacks, past destructive relationships... also low self-esteem/self-worth/lack of coping skills etc etc.

What is your current saftey plan (for work/shool/general): In need of a new one, the usual old one I had going isn't working anymore...

If still SI'ing what could you have done to change the outcome last time you SI'd: Not get as tired/sleep deprived as I was, not get as unaware of my feelings as I was. Contacted someone or distracted.

Identify triggers (be as spec. as poss): Feeling alone/lonely, feeling guilty for no real reason, some flashbacks/memories, feeling like a burden or unable to take care of myself, having problems with physical pain, being disappointed/let down in myself or others, all of the same stuff listed in stressors.

Contact friends (people you may call when you are upset or have a slip, it is good to have more than one): Not sure I really have any at the moment, need to work on this one...
:star: