coping questionnaire

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

DecemberLivy
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by DecemberLivy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 am

Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own?

depends on how triggered a feel, but usually just on their own

Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'.

action, yes, moving about not wallowing

Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling?

banish them mostly, distract me so i can't have negative thoughts

What's your favourite coping thing?

definitely cooking, i have to concentrate and i get the plus of having people compliment my vegan food

When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that?

if i have my mp3 player i'll put on something like the cranberries or system of a down which always seems to calm me down. if not i try counting the cracks in the pavement or planning dinner in my mind

Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice.

make something pretty for my mum or my brother, or just paint some of my favourite symbols

Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around?

the other day one of my closest friends promised me on pain of death that he would be online that night because he knows how i get triggered mostly at night and talking to him helps. anyway he didn't come on for a reason i forget now and i was feeling very very unstable. but then i realised that every night he talks to me to help me cope which means i miss out on sleep. i decided to see this as an opportunity to get some rest rather than him abandoning me. it worked and i didn't even need to go downstairs and cook something

Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to?

my place is sort of my emergency 'book', when i feel blah i re read it to see my progress and that things are not always crap

If I gave you £10 what coping things would you most like to buy?

probably a DVD and some cheap ingredients like herbs and spices

Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have?

a book, usually, i cant leave the house unless i have at least one. i've been known to leave the house with several in my handbag.
<center>my walpole cafe

"My life's a mess"
"That's the way it's supposed to be" - soap -
</center>

I think I'll paint roads
on my front room walls
to convince myself
that I'm going places.

esther_mouse
growing roots
growing roots

Post by esther_mouse » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:53 am

<b>Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own? </b>
Depends how many I can remember.

<b>Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'. </b>
A...uh...Apple Ipod? I like to listen to my Ipod?

<b>Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling?</b>
Not sure.

<b>What's your favourite coping thing? </b>
Going out.

<b>When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that? </b>
Walk faster.

<b>Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice. </b>
I'd draw something, I'm an artist, after all. I doubt it'd help me cope though, stuff like that never does, probably because it's pretty much my life anyway.

<b>Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around? </b>
Usually this doesn't apply to me.

<b>Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to? </b>
Yeah I did but I never really finished adding to it...

<b>If I gave you £10 what coping things would you most like to buy? </b>
Um...a good book and a cheapish drink in my favourite restaurant/bar.

<b>Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have? </b>
Ipod...phone...stuff...I don't know really. Nothing really actually makes me feel any better at all when I feel crap so I'm not sure I'm going about this the right way at all.

the edge of the world
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by the edge of the world » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 am

Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own?

combination

aromotherapy

Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling?

banish or subdue

tea

When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that?

walk faster or count my steps or try to make my steps regular with the sidewalk blocks (certain number of steps per square), etc

Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice.

colored pencils -- make the paper very colorful, then shred it into long strips and tie them in my hair, then shred the strips into confetti and throw it around then ball up some confetti and shoot it around at things in the room (ok, flick, but shoot sounds more exciting)

Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around?

yah, I try looking at them from a more objective point of view sometimes and sometimes it makes me feel better.
today, felt like I needed to hurt myself, though about this (do I really "need" to or would I just like to?) and didn't do anything about it.

no, I would like to do that....

umm... if you gave me $20 (equivalent), I would buy.. I don't know. a candle, for sure.

Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have?

yes, some anti anxiety cards and a squishy ball

Heidi4DBT
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Heidi4DBT » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:03 pm

coping questionnaire :

Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own? I use a mixure of things like distraction, talking with others, and attending church regularly

Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'. Adult Day Treatment

Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling? I find them a mixure of the above demending on the situation. sometimes I use them all at different levels of the urges.

What's your favourite coping thing? My Teddy Bear named Grace

When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that? I take deep brethes and tell myself that everything is okay

Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice. I will paint using the colors to stand for my feelings

Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around? I try to thilnk through the situation before I respond to it and then use the skills that will help

Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to? No. I am going to realy think about it

If Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have? No but I should

zombiepeople
knows the ropes
knows the ropes
Location: next to the spooky bus stop...i've never seen a bus there though...hmm

Post by zombiepeople » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:23 pm

I use different things, such as listening to music and doing artsy crafty things together or things like cooking or reading seperately.

Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'. artsy crafty things, such as beading or making pictures with glitter glue

Both depending on how they're being used/which coping skill I'm using. If it's to banish feelings/urges, then I'll probably do somehting like cooking or excercising to focus on something completely different. It it's to deal with feelings, then I'd probably do a craft like making a picture out of glitter glue, which would help me express (in a healthy way) what I'm feeling.

Probably some sort of art, coloring, drawing, beading, etc...

Hopefully if I have my mp3 player with me, I'd find a sing that I love and turn it up. Otherwize I'd play a song inside my head or concentrate on thigns around me (such as colors of things, smells, sights, sounds, etc...)

I'd use the glitter glue and make a colorful glittery picture.

I try to, but usually it's best for me to just find the closest avaliable thing I could use to cope rather than thinking to strongly about the situation. Once I'm calmer, I can then go back and think about the situation more closely.

Yup

Probably some more colorful seed beads and maybe a book of craft designs (dont know how much they would cost though)

I always have a pencil/pen and paper so I can write if I feel badly. Usually I try to have a book of puzzles (like sudoku or crosswords) that I can do if I need to take my mind off of things, but they only work in certain situations.
"Wouldn't it be great to heal the world with only a song?"
~Serj Tankian
"Honking Antelope

lucky_lenny
town councillor
town councillor

Post by lucky_lenny » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:05 am

It depends on the coping methods. Generally I'll do 2 things though.

Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'. Art

They distract me from my urges and if I keep them up for long enough the urges pass

Playing piano.

I breathe, and try to focus on my surroundings instead of my feelings -- 'There's a pukeko in the bushes over there, there's a sparrowhawk up in the sky, the river is brown and muddy because of the rain'

One piece of paper and a pencil and I would doodle out the way I feel

No I tend to grab ice cubes as a delay tactic and then think of something better to do ;)

That sounds like a good idea, but idk what I'd put in it

I'd probably buy spraypaint and sugarsoap and then spraypaint my furniture again ;) (I always spraypaint my like, bookcase and chest of drawers)

An exercise book and a pen so that I can vent ;)
~ What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
ImageLenny Is a Punk (or "My Place" ;))Image

Pissenlit
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Re: coping questionnaire

Post by Pissenlit » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:57 am

limestone wrote:coping questionnaire : :)
Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to? :uhhh:
:star: :star: :star:
An emergency book or box? Is this a book or box full of coping strategies/items to help you not SI? :uhhh:
Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten!

I can has place now?

I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you!

Dandelion fluff

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 pm

I tend to use them in combination, i.e. I'll burn some lavendar oil, put on some music, and knit.

Listening to Audiobooks

Idealing a coping skill should be a way to deal with how you're feeling. But I'm still working on this with my group and my therapist.

Knitting

Repeat the mantra "relax, you're ok" over and over in my head.

I would use the piece of paper and a pen to write music

I have tried this. I do it especially when I'm driving and start getting angry at the way a person is driving. I start to think, well, maybe they are elderly or a new driver and uncomfortable on this road. It calms me down, looking at something from a different perspective.

Yup, I have one, just haven't used it in a while.

Yarn to knit with, even though I have a ton. Or maybe a new audiobook?

No, but I should.

Love,
Stevie
In Which Something Oooh Occurred

And it felt like a winter machine that you go through and then you catch your breath and winter starts again, and everyone else was springbound. And when I chose to live, there was no joy, it's just a line I crossed. I wasn't worth the pain my death would cost, so I was not lost or found....But when you live in a world, well, it gets in to who you th ought you'd be. And now I laugh at how the world changed me. I think life chose me after all.
--Dar Williams

vampirelover
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by vampirelover » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:50 pm

coping questionnaire :

Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own? combination

Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'. Apples i bite into them and the crunch is good for my anger (okay so i made that one up)

Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling? both

What's your favourite coping thing? talking to my bestmate

When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that? be with someone else if possible or breath and tell myself it will be okay

Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice. draw red lines all over the piece of paper

Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around? i try to tell myself i have survived much worse so i can and will survive this

Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to? yes i have

If I gave you £10 what coping things would you most like to buy? phone ceredit to ring my angels (the people i call when i need help)

Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have? red pen
longest with no slips - 2 years , 6 months
time since last slip : 2 days

a7xcncangel
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by a7xcncangel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:10 am

It all depends on what kind of urge I'm having. If it's sadness, I'll pop in my favorite movie, snuggle up in a blanket, and nibble on either gummy bears, or ummm... whatever I'm craving. If I'm angry, I'll throw my pillow, or exercise.

aerobics

Different coping strategies do different things. I like the ones that deal with feelings and deal with stuff best. Otherwise the urge just comes back later.

hanging out and being surrounded by people who love me and will hold my hand hrough it all

Calming music or having someone to talk to (whether it be about the issue that's bothering me or not) works pretty well for me.

A pen. I'd probably write a letter to myself or a role model asking for help (and never send it), or I'd probably just journal and get my emotions out. It really helps me to get it all out on paper

Nope, but I should. I find this very hard. I find it hard to step back from what I'm feeling and look at it a different way. When I'm having an urge, I'm always so in the moment which I know is bad...

No, I like the idea, but I don't know how to get started, where to put it, etc.

ummm... I think that's a little over $12 or $13 or something (I used to live in England but I don't remember how the dollar measured up to the pound...) I'd either get a couple used CDs, a movie, or just download some songs

I have my iPod but music can be either a blessing or a curse when I'm having an urge. SOmetimes I'll listen to songs that trigger me even more and make the situation worse, but usually I refrain myself and listen to more upbeat songs. I also carry a sharpie around and ask my friends to write a "warm fuzzy" on the area of my body I SI and it helps a lot to read and stop me when I have an urge.
Mum: ReineDuSommeil
Sister: waydownsouth, nomad2207, noldo
Brother: sirjnj
Daughter: Azira
Cousin: DuchessN, jadestarwalking
Aunt: Cheycatsgarden

Heidi4DBT
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Heidi4DBT » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:13 am

Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own? I use a lot of different ones. I have learned many techniques in DBT.

Accepting my past as it is. I am still working very hard on this one
Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling? I see it has both. expressing feeling but at times when it is hurtful I try to think of other things

What's your favourite coping thing? A little stuff animal dog. I carry with me everywhere.

When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that? I try to take deep breathes

Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice. I don't know. There is many art stuff I do and use to help me.

Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around? I use trying to think differently as a coping skill because in DBT it is considered one.

Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to? No but I am think about it.

Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have? My small red stuff dog.

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:41 pm

:lgrnstar: Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own?
:pinkstar: i use them in combination with si
:lgrnstar: Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'.
:pinkstar: altar. my religion helps.
:lgrnstar: Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling?
:pinkstar: a way to banish feelings and urges
:lgrnstar: What's your favourite coping thing?
:pinkstar: music
:lgrnstar: When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that?
:pinkstar: i use positive affirmations, :it's okay, you'll be alright"
:lgrnstar: Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice.
:pinkstar: i could make a fortune teller, except with recovery based questions, like, name three triggers and how you will cope with them positively
:lgrnstar: Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around?
:pinkstar: no. there's only one perspective. mine.
:lgrnstar: Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to?
:pinkstar: i've made an emergency binge box for when i feel like binging
:lgrnstar: If I gave you $10 what coping things would you most like to buy?
:pinkstar: to be honest, i'd buy blades. they're $1 at the store. sorry. i would also try to get healthy coping stuff though, like coloring books and composition notebooks.
:lgrnstar: Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have?
:pinkstar: no but i should

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Just Pomegranates » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own? I use all positive ones these days. :osmile:

Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'. A Perfect Circle (one of my bands I listen to)

Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling? These days if I have urges, it's to block them out seeing I know how and why I have those particular urges.

Music or a book

I've gotten a lot better at rationalizing things until I no longer see the need for anxiety and am able to let it go.

Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice. Try writing some song lyrics

Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around? Yes, I do.

Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to? I have an anxiety box that I used to use more.

If I gave you $10 what coping things would you most like to buy? A book.

Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have? I used to take my journal with me some but these days it's usually just a book for boredom busting purposes if I'm waiting at the train station for a while.
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” - Dalai Lama XIV

“The shark that does not swim, drowns.” - Russian Proverb

awkward-shark
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by awkward-shark » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:27 pm

:dkblheart: Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... ) in combination or just on their own?
I think my most usual coping method is writing. Only writing. Sometimes I skip stressful situations (or is that cheating?) and doing something calming like wathing a movie or a comedy.

:blueheart:Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'.
Abrazos (spanish for hugs). I don't do it often but when I do hug soeone o' I feel so much better.

:cyheart: Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how your feeling?
Some do, some don't. I think writing helps me deal with them because in the process I HAVE to think about them, to judge my actions and feelings. Others, just relax me and help me be at bay.

:lblheart:What's your favourite coping thing?
I don't know if it's my favorite beause it's basially the only one I find really useful, but writing is the method I use the most.

:sgrnheart: When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that?
Since I usually carry my backpack with me, I like to keep my hands busy by playing with straps. Actually, I do that basically all the time, but yeah, keep my hands busy somehow helps.

:lavheart: Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice.
Okay, this is a thing I really like to do: I'd do any kind of origami peace, simple or hard, say a rose or a crane. Then I'd undo it and lay the paper flat on my table or desk (I do this even at school) then I take a pen and draw over all the folds, marking lines. Then I take more pens or pencil colours or markers and colour the paper. I take four different colours and try to fill all the paper randomly BUT the rule is one colour must not be next to another figure filled of the same colour. When I'm finished I redo the rose or crane or whatever. And that's it.

:lpurpheart:Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around?
Nope. I even grow frustrated in situations where I can't find a quickly way to cope.

:pinkheart:Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to?
I have a notebook where I write my feelings whenever I'm feeling bad. But I'd like to have an emergency box for those times where writing is just not enough. I've found myself writing the same sentene over and over just for the sake of doing something, I have pages filled like "i feel sad but i don't know why, i'm tired, i feel sad, i don't know what's wrong" and that doesn't go anywhere. That's why I want to find other coping methods.

:magheart: If I gave you £10 what coping things would you most like to buy?
I'd go to the cinema. I haven't been there in ages! I'd go to the moies with some friends and I.

:purpheart: Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have?
I carry y special notebook, whatever book I'm reading at the moment and sometimes I wear a pair of converse and each say "don't kill yourself" and "other people feel this too".
:grnstar: :lgrnstar: Call me Sharky :lgrnstar: :grnstar:

Image Image
"I didn't want to take the chance that I'd grow up to be a war.
I wanna be a belly dance, or an acordion, or a pogo stick..."

Andrea Gibson, Letter to the playground bully

Gender is the poetry each of us makes out of the language we are taught
Leslie Feinberg

ImagePlace: we must grow up, not perfect but upImage

Twocky61
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Twocky61 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:44 pm

coping questionnaire : :)

No to be honest
=====================================================

Anger
====================================================

Both

Knife to be honest

Usually find a park bench or wall or similar to sit to try and calm myself.
======================================================

Sketch my surroundings which does calm me
=======================================================

Not really ;I stick to my usual form of coping which is self-harm

No, but maybe as it is a good idea

I suppose cutting implements to self harm with to be honest
Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If
so, what do you have?

Cutting implements though obviously I should have more positive things such as cigarettes
While you scream at the woman you claim to love, there's a man wishing he could whisper in her ear.

While you humiliate, offend & insult her, there's a man flirting with her & reminding her how beautiful she is.

While you hurt her, there's a man wishing he could take her pain away.

While you make her cry, there's a man stealing smiles from her.

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Fri May 15, 2015 2:32 pm

thought i should maybe do this again as a refresher
:grnstar:
:grystar: Do you use coping methods (healthy ones... :wink: ) in combination or just on their own? :uhhh:
:grnstar: i mostly use them in combination, such as reading and lighting candles, or blogging and watching movies
:grystar: Name something that helps you to cope beginning with the letter 'A'.
:grnstar: action movies
:grystar: Do you see coping ideas as ways to banish feelings/urges or as a way to process/deal with how you're feeling? :uhhh:
:grnstar: banish feelings and urges
:grystar: What's your favourite coping thing? :uhhh:
:grnstar: coloring books and classical music cds
:grystar: When you're walking and you're nervous/anxious what do you do to cope with that? :uhhh:
:grnstar: breathe deep (that's a "deal with it" skill)
:grystar: Describe how you could cope with one piece of paper and one art material of your choice.
:grnstar: i could draw how i'm feeling using paper and oil pastels
:grystar: Do you try to view situations from a different perspective before trying to find something to help you cope? If you do, can you give an example of how you turned it around? :uhhh:
:grnstar: i do not.
:grystar: Have you ever made an emergency book or box? If not, would you like to? :uhhh:
:grnstar: yes, and it's filled to the top with coping skills!
:grystar: If I gave you £10 what coping things would you most like to buy? :uhhh:
:grnstar: that would be $11.34 so i would probably go to the dollar tree and buy crayons, calming cds, coloring books... there are so many things i can buy with $11.34 at the dollar store!
:grystar: Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If so, what do you have? :uhhh:
:grnstar: i have a small coloring book and a little bag of crayons, i have a book, i have gum, i have drink flavor mixes, i have my phone, i have a bunch of stuff small enough to fit in a bag.

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Fri May 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Twocky61 wrote:coping questionnaire : :)

No to be honest

Anger

Both

Knife to be honest

Usually find a park bench or wall or similar to sit to try and calm myself.
======================================================

Sketch my surroundings which does calm me

Not really ;I stick to my usual form of coping which is self-harm

No, but maybe as it is a good idea

I suppose cutting implements to self harm with to be honest
Do you have a portable coping things to put in your bag? If
so, what do you have?

Cutting implements though obviously I should have more positive things such as cigarettes
thank you for your honesty, and if you ever need somebody to talk to, my kik is rosieposie6661 or message me for other forms of communication, such as facebook or skype.
:pinkheart: