coping patch

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

the edge of the world
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by the edge of the world » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:14 am

Once I made a happy balloon. Well... I blew up a balloon in math class (independent study) and it looked sad and I felt like it was like me or something... so, I drew happy faces all over it. I was going to pop it when I was done, but decided to leave it be happy.

Often I doodle on my hands to distract myself or tear up paper. Sometimes I stick the longer strips of paper in my hair... for fun? idk... I like that it makes people laugh.

I think I want to try put stickers on my face when I find some (somewhere in my frighteningly messy room...)

Seeshellz
my other car is a bus
my other car is a bus

Post by Seeshellz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:55 am

When I get the urge to si I keep putting it off until I no longer want to.

I colour with crayons or pencil crayons in kids books or adult colouring books.

I stay away from my tool. I have a safe place and stay there.

I go on BUS and distract myself. Sometimes just can play games.

I eat(bad one!)

Do other things on the computer or internet.
"If you learn from your suffering,

and really come to understand the lesson you were taught,

you might be able to help someone else who's now

in the phase you may have just completed.

Maybe that's what it's all about after all..."

Anonymous

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:33 am

i watch the bonus discs from TV/movie series

More often then not they're really funny (deleted scenes, messups), or they're really great insights on how a concept comes together.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:03 am

Sometimes I try to be creative. I work on a magazine collage full of things that I enjoy doing. It's great to do this on a box or clipboard so you can use it and remind yourself of all the good things. Or I work on a knitting project. Doing a project meant for someone else makes me feel good. So does finishing a project. It makes me feel accomplished.

Other times I am feeling too poorly to do something productive, so I put on my fleece pjs, make a mug of tea, and curl up under my flannel blankets so I feel warm and safe. Putting a DVD of my favorite TV show on serves as a distraction.

Still other times I just acknowledge the urge and remind myself of all the reasons why I don't want to SI.

Love,
Stevie
In Which Something Oooh Occurred

And it felt like a winter machine that you go through and then you catch your breath and winter starts again, and everyone else was springbound. And when I chose to live, there was no joy, it's just a line I crossed. I wasn't worth the pain my death would cost, so I was not lost or found....But when you live in a world, well, it gets in to who you th ought you'd be. And now I laugh at how the world changed me. I think life chose me after all.
--Dar Williams

silent_end
cow control
cow control

Post by silent_end » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:20 am

I used to write poetry for the most part they were depressing but they helped me figure out what i was really feeling inside and having people comment on it made me feel better knowing that someone out there is listening to me ... that is may work for someone.. personally i can't do it anymore and i need to find a similar outlet any suggestions?
MY Expressions-This is my Life

My Place-Perfectly-Broken

My PBH-Shattered Dreams Unwind

My Blog Beauty from Pain: Inside EDNOS

Hedley-The perfection of my frailty has been questioned and broken

Green Day – Somebody keep my balance
I think I'm falling off Into a state of regression
The expiration date Rapidly coming up
It's leaving me behind to rank

Evanessence-Listen to each drop of rain
Whispering secrets in vain
Frantically searching for someone to hear
Their story before they hit ground

ultimate starshine
buskateer
buskateer

Post by ultimate starshine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:51 am

when i am in the mood where i want to SI, I like getting a notebook, scribbling over it in red pena dn then tearing the aopges up or scoring the pages with scissors it seems to help me.
Sprink is my wonderful gobby (goblin) daughter
I am 5th Sections mummy
RDS is my amazing sister
Elmoscaresme is my adorable niece
I am Eisa's Fairy

"The marks I make, The steps I take, Prove i still exist" ~ written by me."

"Never let the fear of striking out... stop you from playing the game" - A cinderella story

Place

heidibeth
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by heidibeth » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:35 pm

When I am feeling really angery I try to ripe up paper instead of harming myself. I also have tried to throw pillows at the wall.

Heidi4DBT
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Re: coping patch

Post by Heidi4DBT » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:16 am

I find these things to be very helpful:
talking with a loved one
Journaling
Reading
Going for a walk
Drawing

angelclown
creating your space
creating your space

Re: coping patch

Post by angelclown » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Generally when I was younger I used to write poetry or songs. Sometimes I still do. Phoning my partner helps too, just to hear his voice; he's been through the "Black Dog" before so he can talk me through an urge. Random YouTube videos or comedy things I'm subscribed to help distract me.

**drug trigger**
Or I *try* and get to sleep, just curl up into a ball, if I'm able at that moment. It's not always possible however, and in the past I've maybe tried to sedate myself using alcohol or OTC painkillers (the normal dose you'd take for a headache, not an OD), but I would NEVER recommend that to another person as a valid coping method.

But what seems to help a lot of the time is planning for my next tattoo, regardless of whether that plan comes into fruition. Especially since one of my planned designs has to do with SI-awareness and coping. Because, hey, if I have fresh scar tissue where I want to tattoo, I can't get the tattoo! :wink:
Life is just a series of opportunities that, if experienced, you can raise a glass to during a game of I Have Never.

My Health Thang