if you have OD'd i need to talk to you *su*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Beautiful Lie
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Beautiful Lie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:05 pm

I have taken quite a lot of ODs, only about four I think to actually SU, but the rest just as SI..and definatley the worst thing about it is facing my parents afterwards, and all the missed calls and texts from my parents asking me where I am, when I'm in A&E.

I've never had my stomach pumped, to be honest, I didn't think they did that anymore, but on most of the occasions where I've OD I have had a 27 hour IV drip in my arm. A

And charcoal - it is the most horrific tasting thing ever.

I wouldn't advise anyone to OD, whatever the problem.

Daisy.
<b><center>It's like rain on your wedding day,
It's a free ride when you've already paid,
It's the good advice that you didn't take,
Who would've thought,
It figures.

<center>Love.Live.Laugh</b>
My Place

<b><i>SI free since May 20th 08</i></b>
<i>1 slip</i>

blackdaisy
settling in
settling in

Post by blackdaisy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:49 am

Like many of the people who have posted in this thread, I am grateful to be alive. It has been 9 years since my OD and my life is 100% better than it was at that time. My OD wasn't a minor "hope I wake up in the morning" OD, but a true suicide attempt. I didn't expect to wake up the next morning. I think that the reason I am alive today is that there may have been some dishsoap in the water I took the pills with- which made made vomit. If you are thinking about ODing- I have never vomited like that before or since- it's a sensation words cannot describe. After I finished vomiting I went back to bed... when I woke up in the morning I told my mom I had a stomach bug and couldn't go to school.
It was years before I ever told anyone about my OD. When I did, the doctor told me it's a miracle I'm alive. To top that off, I am lucky enough to have had no liver damage from the OD- which is amazing considering it's a miracle I'm alive.
Nine years later, 3 of those SI free, I look back and see how much I could have missed and I look ahead and see how much more life I have to live. I have no words of wisdom to offer other than this: if you are ODing with hopes of waking up- skip the OD and go directly to the ER and get yourself the help you need. It's not worth it.
Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. ~ Hannibal Lector

nitewalks
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by nitewalks » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:59 pm

ill pm you this as well. but for the sake of someone who is reading the thread looking for responses ill say it here too. i od'd and was dead for a few minutes. i never had the throwing up or any of that. i drifted off to sleep and woke up 3 days later with my parents looking at me and a security gaurd by the door. i know what look your talking about. the look of pain like they were just stabbed in the back, and yet they still care and love you...its rough. i had my charcoal shoved through my nostrils my nose hurt for a week. it was horrid

to anyone thinking about it its not pleasant. and to others, not all OD's are a minor 'parasuicicde'. all too often OD's are written off as attention stunts... i can only talk for myself, but mine was definately not. i never got to vomit for a full night. i took every pill in my house (not saying how many but alot) and was out for 3 days. i cant take tylenol, ibuprofen, or sodium naproxen anymore. i have to get my liver checked every 3 months, i cant drink, i have to get weekly UA's for my seroquel/depakote. not pleasant

Dont OD. hell while your at it DONT SU.
Everything will be okay in the end, if its not okay its not the end.

aulophobia
settling in
settling in

Post by aulophobia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:51 pm

I didn't try and commit SU. I did OD though. I still don't quite know my motivation. I was pissed at my mum. I wanted to calm down and I'd stopped SI. I took some pills and spent the day feeling sicker and sicker until eventually at the end of school I was sick. This continued several times. I was very lucky in the fact that there was no permanent damage. I have been worried about the fact that that one stupid morning may have cost me my liver. I'm a student nurse and during one of my modules we did a large section on the liver. When they talked about OD and liver damage it really freaked me out. It took a lot of self reassurance that since I did it I have had liver function blood tests. I never told people about my OD.

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: if you have OD'd i need to talk to you *su*

Post by marshmallowfluff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:02 pm

bumping because this really helped me over last summer when I was suicidal.
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

roly
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by roly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Thank you for bumping this, I was searching for it the other day and couldn't find it. :)

noldo
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions

Post by noldo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank you for bumping this. I read this thread a lot when I have OD urges and most times it is helping me so I've bookmarked it.
sig and avy made by wonderful wds

My Place (replies, hugs, stars welcome) My Art (comments very welcome) My PBH Thread (replies very welcome)

English isn't my native language, please bear with me.

You always deserve help. It doesn't matter if you already made progress; it doesn't matter if someone else has it worse; you deserve help.

capricorn
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by capricorn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Wow. This thread has really ... been an eye opener.
OD was always my "contingency plan" for how I would go.
Not anymore, I don't think ... too much potential for it going horribly painfully wrong :o
I'm sorry you all suffered through such awful things, and thank you for sharing, it has really enlightened me :dkpurpstar:
~Capri
xoxo

"Awake and unafraid."
My Chemical Romance

"I am haunted by humans."
The Book Thief

"Been trying hard not to get into trouble, but I've got a war in my mind."
Lana Del Rey

"It's always darkest just before the dawn. So stay awake with me. Let's prove them wrong."
Rise Against

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Dune

xXelmoscaresmeXx
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by xXelmoscaresmeXx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 pm

I am speechless...this thread is really an eye-opener.
Because I always have to urge to just down a bottle of pills, thinking how easy it'd be.
But now I know how much it wouldn't be...
Recovery is possible, I promise
My Aunt is Ultimate Starshine. My mom is snowangel_03. My big sisters are jadestarwalking and Birdie.
dont click this link
Facts of life:
-Purple monkeys eat grapes, not bananas.
-The answer to life is five point tomato [toe-may-toe]
-Zebra is not 'zee-brah' it's f-ing 'Z-eh-brah' like Debra
-You will need to count your toes
-The f-ing Zebra will ALWAYS eat your cookie. Nothing will stop it
-Pooh Bear is dead
-There will always be a moose, don't fight it, it will win
-----My Expressions-----
-----My Place-----
-----My PBH-----
*Stephanie*

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:05 pm

my most recent od was the only one i've ever taken as a suicide attempt.

i took them. my friend knew what i had done and contacted someone at uni. he rang me and asked me to go and see him. he told me he knew what i'd done. we had a fight about whether or not he called an ambulance but he called one in the end. i didnt intend for anyone to find out, i was hoping that within a couple of days of taking the overdose i'd be dead. my friend never told me she knew. and the mental health advisor that i went to see never told me when he phoned that he knew. he just asked if I wanted to go for a chat.

we sat outside smoking and waiting for it to come. I felt physically fine until i got in the ambulance. they stuck the pad things on my arms and legs to do the ECG and my heart rate was very fast. i was sat in the chair, but when the ambulance began to move i started to feel very sick and hot. they got me onto the bed but all i could do was sit on the bed and lay my head down, my feet still on the floor. my heart rate slowed down very quickly and was very irregular. I laid on the bed, the paramedics talking to me but not really knowing what they were saying. they kept asking if i'd been drinking, but i hadnt. They kept wanting to test my blood pressure which meant rolling up my sleeves. I had stitches in both arms at the time. they kept looking at them and i felt so, so ashamed.

when we got to the hospital i insisted on walking out of the mabulance but they made me stay on the bed. they took me into a cubicle which is where i stayed for a few hours, until they could do blood tests to test the poison level in my blood.

when i saw the doctor, he gave me a drip. i was fine until about 1/2 through the drip, but then i started to feel very sick and hot again. I got a rash up my arm and on my face. I was allergic to the antedote they'd given me. i spent the rest of the night vomitting half dissolved pills, which is not a pleasant taste...

the next day i text my dad to tell him to come and get me. I'd been made homeless two days before and kicked out of respite when i took the overdose. the look of concern on his face... :( he kept sneaking off so I'd go outside to smoke and he'd be sat in the waiting area crying and looking at the card with home treatment's contact details on. my poor dad :(
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

Annybelly
being the change
being the change

Post by Annybelly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 pm

OD's always been a sort of. Back up.
It's always been there in the back of my mind.

It's not how I imagined it, that I know now.

Thank you to all who've shared.

:bfly:
♥ "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." ♥

♥ "You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." ♥

♥ "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." ♥

♥ "I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace." ♥

♥ "Things haven't always been this bad, therefore, things won't always be this bad." ♥

My Place
My Efforts At Being Healthy
My Bus Butterfly Obsession

♥ DFTBA ♥

eccentricfuzzyme
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by eccentricfuzzyme » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:15 am

Liquid charcoal is the stuff of nightmares. After that experience in the ER I never OD'd again.
"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on."