carrying a teddy bear...

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

fairywings
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by fairywings » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:20 pm

Clothing.....i have some really thick soft jumpers they are great to snuggle up in if im feeling bad. Also have a teddy with me at home who keeps me safe too.
:star: Take me by the hand and guide me though :star:

GoSsOr24
settling in
settling in

Post by GoSsOr24 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:37 pm

What a great idea! No teddies here, but I have my favorite old green polka-dotted elephant to take with me. I'm having a lousy day, too, and just reading this thread has helped me that much more at keeping a grip on reality. Thanks y'all.

Marina

Dungeon_Lilly
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by Dungeon_Lilly » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:25 am

I have loads of teddies and various other stuffed animals at home which I hug if i'm down but I don't often carry one with me, I have a set of fluffy dice on my bag though and I squeeze them if I feel axiouse. When i'm upset at my bf he always gives me his big elephant and his dogs to cuddle.
<center>

I'm all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
A guaranteed personality

:tslug:

:dkpurpstar: :purpstar: :lpurpstar:

piglet
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by piglet » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:23 pm

Mines a very scruffy small little pig...
Quite a soggy little pig at times, doubles as a hanky to mop up the tears. :(
Works though... :wink:
"It is joy to be hidden, but disaster not to be found" (Winnicott)

beautifulwingedone
settling in
settling in

Post by beautifulwingedone » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:10 am

I have a doll that I have had my whole life named blue baby and a teddy bear that my bf gave me for christmas named edmund. They both always make me feel a lot better if I'm feeling down and I can't count the number of times they have stopped me from harming myself.

-KT :bfly:

ben
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ben » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:02 pm

as well as a somewhat curious collection of wombles, neon kangaroos and threadbear teddybears,
i share residence with this chap here:-

Certified to keep demons at bay through being an ineffably older and greater evil :wink:

Peace
ben
"Knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and god was not there.The cold,suffocating dark goes on forever,and we are alone.Live our lives, lacking anything better to do.Devise reason later.Born from oblivion;bear children,hellbound as ourselves;go into oblivion.There is nothing else.Existence is random.Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long.No meaning save what we choose to impose."

moojo
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by moojo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:44 am

hwey wow i can totally relate. when i was IP the latter half i had this blanket that i would carry around with me everywhere. the only places it would not go where the bathroom and sometimes meals cause it was an ED place and they didnt allow it always. but.. i carried that thing with me everywhere.

everyone thought that it was the blanket that was special but really it was a little piece of a sheet inside. it was this fabric that i could rub together between my fingers... like babys do? i dont know how to explain... but it has always made me feel better... so that was always inside and i would stick my hands in and do that...

i LOVE stuffed animals... and for a while i carried around my blanket AND a big bear.. but that just became too much... and i found the blanket was good cause it kept me grounded a bit better and helped to calm my nerves... and it also kept me warm! but.. yeah i carried it with me... and when i started going to a few classes i stuffed just the sheet part in my school bag and would sometmes put my bag on my lap and stick my hands in there to feel it.

just having that special thing near me always made me feel safer and more secure.

so yeah...
Who wants to be ordinary in a crazy mixed up world? ~Michelle Branch
ramblings of an insane mind

tenar
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by tenar » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:34 pm

i carry a ridiculously pink and glittery toy fairy in my school bag. she is so sweet and innocent and happy looking, she reassures me about ahppiness i think. i sit with herin lessons sometimes, and i sit her on the desk in front of me. i have a reputaiton for being eccentric so no one complains (tho it did freak out a suppply teacher). mainly my fairy just makes me smile, which i love. though sometimes i talk to her and call her my only friend.

quite grown up for a 17 year old really....

xx
We live in a beautiful world...
There’s nothing here to run from,
Cause everybody here’s got somebody to lean on
~Don't Panic, Coldplay
:1petals:
<a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=112181">my new place

Honey693
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by Honey693 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:28 am

I have a teddy bear from my fiancee Kevin (aptly named Kevy bear) that I drag around. I have it at college and the poor thing gets all my emotions. When i get mad at kev I throw it, hit it, whatever. I threw it down the stairs and jumped on it once. When i'm happy I cuddle it. HEck when i'm upset I cuddle it and cry all into it. Poor poor bear.

Twitter Mouse
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Twitter Mouse » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:56 pm

I do that too :D I have a Stitch (from Lilo & Stitch), I have an extra strap on my backpack, and I put him in it, and carry him aorund all day. No one thinks anything of it, I love carrying him. Its soft so I can hold him and feel a bit better or I can play with the little tuft of fur on his head if I'm feeling panicky (it distracts me). Plus my friends have something to toss around class when they get bored :)
And it's hey babe, with your guardian eyes so blue,
Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true,
I've been so far from here,
Far from your loving arms,
Now I'm back again, and babe it's gonna work out fine.

Strange Glue
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Strange Glue » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:07 am

Lots of dollar stores around here are selling little stuffies on keychains - just the right size to hold in one palm and squeeze for comfort. If you feel silly carrying a real teddy, you could always try one of those. Keychains seem to be practically a fashion statement now. :)

I have a plastic cow with giant googly eyes on a keychain. It moos loudly and shakes when you pull its tail. It's great, I love him. He always makes me smile.
When faced with my demons
I clothe them and feed them
And I smile, yes I smile
As they're taking me over

Catatonia - Strange Glue

Strange Glue's Place Thread

frodo
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by frodo » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:13 pm

hehe, only just found this thread!! well, i personally have had my clown, who is called clownie, yeah i know, my imagination was rather small so young, since i was born. so he is as old as me, which makes me feel really secure. it is like he has always been there and always will be. he probably isnt actually made up of the same material that he was when he was first born, as he has been repaired so many times.

dont carry him around with me, but he has always had ribbon tied around his neck and if im feeling wobbly, i tend to take the ribbon and put it in my pocket for comfort. has worked for exams, interviews and generally just wobbly days.

he is fantastic!!

with love,
frodo.

Hammy
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Hammy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:17 am

I have a teddy, his name is Dr. U Bear (it's the name from the tag, I wasn't all that creative.) I've had him ever since I was little. He used to have a stethascope and a doctors coat and glasses but that's all gonek now. He's got bald patches from numerous childhood haircuts (who knew it wouldn't grow back???) and he's not too soft or fluffy because we liked to go swimming and play in puddles together. When I get upset or anything I chew on his ear (thanks to years of that and my dogs chewing stage as a puppy he only has one ear left.) I also talk to him when I'm alone and occasionally read him kids books. Besides the bear I also have a towell I sleep with and a pair of pants, known as my "Friday Pants", that make me feel better, plus all my pairs of socks and jimjams.
<center>Fear cannot touch me...
It can only taunt me,
it cannot take me,
just tell me where to go...
I can either follow,
or stay in my bed...
I can hold on to the
things that I know...
The dead stay dead,
they cannot walk.
The shadows are darkness.
And darkness can't talk.</center>

darkrose
growing roots
growing roots

Post by darkrose » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:11 am

I have this one teddy bear that I've have since I was just out of the hospital(when i was born) I'm 15 now so this bear is is sorta bad shape. When i'm feel especially sad i always cuddle him. He always sits on my bed!
Don't worry! stuffed animals aren't that weird to have! You can never be too old!

-Darkrose
I wonder how many people are saying "fine" when they're not.

I think that from now on I'm going to look a little bit deeper...because I'm not the only one.

Arruniel
one of us
one of us

Cleo

Post by Arruniel » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:48 am

I love the bus board! :1love: :1grhug: I thought it was just me and five year olds. I haven't carried around Cleo, my teddy bear, in public in years. Cleo is short for Asclepius, the Greek god of healing. I've had him since I was fifteen or sixteen. I've had a lot of strange looks and had some trouble in school over carrying him about, but the teachers said as it wasn't a distraction to me or to the other students, I could keep him with me during class.

This is him:

I never have to worry about hugging him too tight. He never wakes me up at night. He never talks back, because he never talks at all. ;-) And he's soft. And if I leave him in the same spot for weeks, he''l still be there when I fetch him. He sits. He stays. He never talks too much. Except for my boyfriend, and, ofcorse, me, Cleo is the only thing with eyes that I'll take to my bed. Well, ever since that born-again-virgin thing, my boyfriend is being excluded too... Just me and Cleo... Atleast Cleo never steals the sheets. Hehehe.
I'm not crying. I'm merely leaking.

SI-free since 02-19-03