what's your anti-si?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

scout
building community
building community

Post by scout » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:41 pm

thank you guys! actually i tried a ball point pen the one night and a permanent marker the next and both rubbed off on my clothes....it wasn't like a huge mess, just sometimes my mom will offer to do my laundry and i don't want to be having to explain......

i actually picked up a temporary tattoo thing today. i'm gonna give that a try next time....

angry binky
settling in
settling in

Post by angry binky » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:33 am

My kitty is my anti-SI, he is always pestering me when I feel sad. He won't leave me alone until I seem to be doing better. Sounds stupid I know, but he seems to know when I'm upset. :cat4:

Satine
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Satine » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:33 am

I'll add a few:

1.RPG's(great to lose myself in a great plotline or new character)

2.Anything LOTR related

3.Whose Line it is Anyway,it always makes me smile and a few of the guys are cute(especially Jeff and Brad)

4.Moulin Rouge,the best movie

5.X-Men comics,awesome for a good time(I also see some of myself in Rogue)
I belive in truth,beauty,freedom and above all things love

waterfall
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by waterfall » Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:29 am

I find reading poetry aloud can help. I assume this is because it gives a chance to fully express emotions, using voice, gestures, etc - and the words are already there for me. I can use the channel that someone else has already created.

last night I gave a dramatic performance of the fisrt act of 'A Midsummer's Night Dream' to an audience of one lizard who decided to sit on my wall. I completely lost myself in the parts, had a great time, and had no thought of SI whatsoever by the time I had finished. It might prove awkward with other people around though.
It is not for us to explain suffering but rather to cope with it, morally and religiously, our mettle and our faith being tested, steeled, and humbled within its crucible.
Rav A Lichtenstein

nightwings
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by nightwings » Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:48 am

I think I need to make an emergency box...mostly I just play computer games or drink the pain away. not the greatest idea
"I just want a second chance to be your first again"
-Homegrown, "Second Best"

Diamond Dog
building community
building community

Post by Diamond Dog » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:41 pm

bite my nails (probably not a good one)
I starting biting my nails until they were red and bleeding. Not good.

Comanche Let Thru
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by Comanche Let Thru » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:08 pm

the BUS, journaling, drawing (though I truly am crap at it), riding my bike or walking, sleeping it off.

Fading
one of us
one of us

Post by Fading » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:15 pm

Listening to loud music, drawing, writing, calling/emailing my best friend, holding ice, super-cleaning my room (everything from the walls to the spaces between the keys in the keyboard), drawing on the walls with chalk, etc..

Comanche Let Thru
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by Comanche Let Thru » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:49 pm

I must add one. I am using now . . . Talking to my good friend DIZZY from the BUS. :) Thanks for being here for me. -C

valentine
one of us
one of us

anti-si

Post by valentine » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:24 am

great question, really helpful posts. In case you're having trouble finding "the thing" that will work for you from the list of things already posted, thought I'd share this ... when I first heard it I was stunned because it had never occurred to me...and it really works if you can make yourself do it...
When you feel bad about yourself, doing something GOOD for yourself will make you feel better :magheart: :bluestar: [/i]

Maura
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Maura » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:44 am

My anti si is dance class. It's pretty hard to hide it when all you wear is some light pink tights and a spagetti strap leotard. I can't stand the look I get from my class mates and my teachers when I have recently sied. I dance better too when I don't cause I'm not worried about anyone seeing it. I can hold my arm out and try to make it look beautiful instead of trying to turn it the right way so my si is less noticable. It makes me feel more comfident. Also I find dancing is a way to let go of all the bad feelings. I can breath when I'm dancing. It's like nothing else matters. If I si I can't feel the same way caus eI'm allways trying to hide it.
:1_year_si_free:

Valiant
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Valiant » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:40 am

Ok well, I guess mine would have to be:

Watching someone smile or laugh becuase it is contageous.
Smoking some blueberry fluffy
Sex
Watch a happy film(s)
Go for a jog
Dance
Hang out with friends
Go for a bike ride
Play with Nelly (my kittie)
[/list]

Flawless Night
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Flawless Night » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:56 am

My gf (whom I shall call Christine) lent me her stuffed giraffe named Jeffrey. He smells like her hair and every time I feel like SIing, I cuddle him and smell him and that brings back memories of Christine's strangely-colored eyes and brilliant smile and the feel of her body against mine and the way she tastes and then I'm lonely rather than suicidal.
:uhhh:
I sat upon the shore
Fishing, with the arid plain behind me
Shall I at least set my lands in order?
London Bridge is falling down falling down falling down
Poi s'ascose nel foco che gli affina
Quando fiam uti chelidon - O swallow swallow
Le Prince d'Aquitaine à la tour abolié
These fragments I have shored against my ruins
Why then Ile fit you. Hieronymo's mad againe.
Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.
Shantih shantih shantih

http://busmail.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=23440

Lein
settling in
settling in

Post by Lein » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:23 pm

Writing in my journal, but letting the SI urges write what THEY want to say instead of my usual trying to record and analyze everything I'm feeling. I'm learning that if I just let the SI talk as graphically and angrily as it wants to, I can get to understand it a lot better.

My therapist suggests using my non-dominant hand when the SI is writing, but I find it slows me down and is too frustrating. You could try it, though.

BlackKat13
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by BlackKat13 » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:45 am

My pets, song writing, Harry Potter!
Wounded and empowered
I gaze to the sky
And say beneath my breath
"Never injure what cannot die."
:2_year_si_free: :180_days_si_free:

drop
settling in
settling in

Post by drop » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:30 pm

Not much to add after such a wonderful list...
I'd like to stress though sth someone has already mentioned: breathing - focusing hard on your own breathing and only thinking about making it slower, smoother, calmer... it really works for quieting down the mind and and feeling the body present.

mj84
one of us
one of us

Post by mj84 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:07 pm

Exercise! :D

Saree
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Saree » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:46 pm

i try to be around people, afterall, i can't SI around people can i? two specific people always make me feel really great, Jocelyn age 8 and Robbie age 22 months. My Jocelyn calls me her best friend ans said she wants to be just like me. Thats enough to give my motivation to stop a major boost.

on nights or days when i can't be around people i write in a journal, i have gone back and read it at times, and there is some messed up stuff in there too :oops:

i have also thrown ice cubes in a bathtub, while screaming

i have used a red pen and just scribbled furiously on a tablet.

I think this is a awesome post!!!!!
hugs and love
sarah
Many of us spend our whole lives running from feelings, with the mistaken belief that you can not bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all that you are beyond the pain.
--Kahlil Gibran

No smile is more beautiful than the one that struggles through tears.

One of the things that i learned the hard way is that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself
--Lucille Ball

dramababy2003
settling in
settling in

Post by dramababy2003 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:33 pm

My biggest aint-SIing is my old childhood toys. Magnets and beads, seaquins and kits, arts and crafts. generally things i can do alone.

also i think sitting in a room all alone with the door blocked off, and listening to loud rock music while writing poetry, or reading a magazine is good.

when worst comes to worst i sit on my bed and put my hands under my back, and say to myself "what am i doing??? tomorrow i will find this stupid" and i fall asleep.

i cope those ways. im starting my emergency box today. thanks everyone im getting a better outlook on life today.
The end of the world's in front of me
Hard to believe all I see
It comes so close but pulls away
To let me stay another day

It's one chance in your lifetime
But it won't be the last time
It seems theres always the next hill to climb
And you know there's a lifetime

The things that I see never end
Trickin' my mind to just pretend
I understand what's happening
When others doubt you still believe

Changing what I once thought
Letting go of what I once fought

Aeryn
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Aeryn » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:26 am

This is weird, but lately, one of my favorites has been origami... when I'm having a bad patch I seem to leave little paper objects everywhere I go :lol: . It's also kinda cool when I get the guts to give them to someone (roommates, doc's office recetionist, etc.) because they are usually impressed and it's a tiny self-esteem boost. And it keeps my hands busy.

:painting:
Aeryn