Scarily VAST list of coping strategies

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

angelafree
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: Scarily VAST list of coping strategies

Post by angelafree » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:14 am

that could keep you safe for years...:O :o
-AngelaImage
ImageImageImage

flower79
one of us
one of us

Post by flower79 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 am

I noticed this is an old thread but WOW that's an amazing list of things to try.

i'm going to share this with a friend of mine who struggled with her SI and i'm going to try the H.A.L.T as it can affect me.

:bluehf:

StarChild
growing roots
growing roots

Post by StarChild » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:30 pm

I really love the systems of rewards/collecting things. I sort of collect Asian ball-jointed dolls (haven't been able to afford a new one for ages, but I could save up) and I want to save for one for my one-year anniversary, when I can stay off SI that long. I already have the one I want picked out, a LUTS Kid Delf Bory boy. I might get the white skin version and make him a little ghost boy or some kind of supernatural creature.

For anyone else interested in BJDs or other dolls...it can take a year or more to save up (some of the big fancy ones can cost as much as $700!), but for me, it's a great motivator. Because I can always go to the site and look at pictures of my boy :) He's only $300 (haha, only in the BJD hobby would one say "only $300!") so I could easily save up enough money for him by the end of a year.

I'm so excited. Now I really want to stop, so I can get my boy!

:lgrnstar: loki

Clean & sober since July 14, 2012.
SI free since January 29, 2016.
Cigarette free since May 12, 2017.

"i'm falling back in love with being alive."
- Kesha, "Rainbow"

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

dayum!!!
that's great!!!
i'll pull it up in word and print it at the library.

noldo
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions

Post by noldo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:58 pm

I know this thread is really really old but I still love the list and really need to try more skills of this list again. I think it's better than any Coping Strategies Lists I got in the psych wards over the years. I translated it into German (also a skill of its own :wink: ) and gave it to some therapists and nurses over the years who found it helpful. I always have it ready on the laptop and printed out at home and I also have a smaller list with some of the skills of this list which I picked out to try and which I found useful. As I'm re-vamping my emergency box I thought it's a good idea to revisit this thread.

I don't really know if this skill already exists but there are gummy bears (or some other shape) with chili in it. I am pretty sensible to spicy stuff so it really has an effect on me, esp. when I eat several ones quickly, one after the other. The burning passes relatively quickly but when you eat several ones over the time of 10 minutes or so, it takes a while till the sensation passes. When I need some stronger spicy, burning stuff I chew 3-5 whole peppercorns at once. That burning sensation really stays for a while and it is much stronger.

RIP Laura. Thank you for creating this list.

And thanks to everyone contributing to it. If you come across this nowadays and you have a skill that isn't on here yet, please share it with us here (if you feel comfortable enough).

:purpheart: noldo
sig and avy made by wonderful wds

My Place (replies, hugs, stars welcome) My Art (comments very welcome) My PBH Thread (replies very welcome)

English isn't my native language, please bear with me.

You always deserve help. It doesn't matter if you already made progress; it doesn't matter if someone else has it worse; you deserve help.

s0_vErY_sCaReD
troll sniper
troll sniper

Post by s0_vErY_sCaReD » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:10 am

Read the whole list (and all seven pages of replies). One that stuck out to me was the safe place imagery. That’s one the DBT therapist at the program I go to does a lot.

Mine is at the fireside at summer camp in the mountains from when I was a teenager (many many moons ago).
Its kind of ironic that’s my safe place, as that was actually where I had my first major panic attack. Strange. Anyway. That’s my two cents.
"You're just jealous 'cuz the voices only talk to me!"

HECK is where people go who don't believe in GOSH!!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs."

BUS Family:
Nieces~ My Halo's Missing, Chey
Bros~ ZX6R, PG

childofchaos831
forum moderator - rw & games & distractions
forum moderator - rw & games & distractions

Post by childofchaos831 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:08 am

Our safe place is a dock over the lake, listening to the lake and the birds. Everything else is quiet. No one is around, just us.
"Do not be ashamed of the wars your soul has fought to save itself."
~isra al-thibeh

Chaos Child - My Blog