If I were to go to an Urgent Care ... ??

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

smud
one of us
one of us

If I were to go to an Urgent Care ... ??

Post by smud » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:26 pm

~potential mild trigger re: body damage possibly needing medical attn~

Hello. I am smud. I work in healthcare. I know a thing or two about first aid. In all my 20 years of SI, I have never had an injury that really required medical attention (other than what I could do myself). Until recently.

Two incidents. One I managed to pass off as an accident, and actually ended up getting stitches from a physician I work with. The second ... well, there is no way anyone would believe it was an accident.

I am struggling to keep a handle on it; it's been seven days now and I am in horrible pain. I am trying not to be graphic. Suffice to say I am actually considering seeking medical attention. But I CAN'T. I am TERRIFIED.

Choice #1: Just be patient and hope for the best.

Choice #2: Choose someone at work to "come out" to and risk the entire clinic learning my secret. I can not risk being seen as "unstable" at work!!

Choice #3: Go to an Urgent Care and pray they don't hold me against my will and send me to some kind of facility, or refuse to treat me, or give me THAT LOOK, or etc etc etc.

So my question is ... if I seek medical treatment and someone gets all hung-ho about labeling me A Potential Danger To Myself or Others, what are my rights? What could they do to me? Is it worth the risk? Any experience, strength, and hope????
Not last night
Not this morning
Melon flowers bloomed
- Basho

Twocky61
creating your space
creating your space

Re: If I were to go to an Urgent Care ... ??

Post by Twocky61 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi Smud

You could well be sectioned for at least 28 days as this would be seen as a 136:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/198 ... 020_en.pdf
in the uk at least

I actually phoned Force Command at Dorset police & asked them the question:
"If I were to 136, would I be arrested for wasting police time when you could be out pulling over motorists so as to top up your budget? lol If you took me into a place of safety (the police station custody suite) & the two doctors and the approved social worker deemed me not to require to be admitted to a psychiatric facility?"

They said I would not be but I would be given bed & breakfast lol & kicked out in the morning

I did a 136 anyway and lo & behold I got admitted to psychiatric care :D
While you scream at the woman you claim to love, there's a man wishing he could whisper in her ear.

While you humiliate, offend & insult her, there's a man flirting with her & reminding her how beautiful she is.

While you hurt her, there's a man wishing he could take her pain away.

While you make her cry, there's a man stealing smiles from her.

roseleaf
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by roseleaf » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm sorry that you're so badly hurt. :1soothe:

Would you be comfortable with telling us which part of the world you live in? It might be easier then for people to give their experiences because healthcare does vary. :)

I've never been in this situation myself, but I have been to A&E, the UK version of urgent care, for an overdose. They didn't keep me in - I told them I was safe for the time being and they let me go home. I suspect that would be the case in most UK A&Es - if you tell them you're safe then you'd be allowed to go home. But I can't say for certain, 'cos as I say I have no experience myself of this situation, and obviously it does vary even nurse/doctor to nurse/doctor, let alone by area!

I do honestly think it would be wise to get someone to look at it, though. I can totally understand the fear there. But if after seven days you're not coping with the pain, it sounds like it needs urgent attention.

***could be challenging***

The other thing to think of is, if you are in a place where you SI this badly, might being inpatient for a time perhaps help you? Not necessarily, I know, and it depends where you go, and everything. But just something to consider.

Thinking of you. :purpheart:
For among these winters there is one so endlessly winter
that only by wintering through it all will your heart survive.
~Rainer Maria Rilke

:rose:

My place

smud
one of us
one of us

Post by smud » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Thank you, Twocky and Roseleaf. I am currently living in the state of North Carolina (USA). The powers that be tend to take things pretty seriously around here.

Inpatient is a big No for me, NO with a capital N. It is one of my biggest fears. My therapist is patiently waiting for the time to come when I will surrender myself into rehab, but I couldn't possibly. I was arrested in January and held in jail for less than 24 hours, but even that amount of time being held against my will, being trapped, nearly drove me insane.

I need my freedom ... but to keep my freedom, I need my sanity ...
Not last night
Not this morning
Melon flowers bloomed
- Basho

childofchaos831
forum moderator - rw & games & distractions
forum moderator - rw & games & distractions

Post by childofchaos831 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 pm

my experience, in the usa, they can (keyword can) hold you for 3 days unless a doc still deems you a danger. it takes a lot of paperwork to section someone, and most of the time, unless the threat is obvious, and i mean threat to life, si is not included in the 3 day hold option, it is threat to life, then they are not going to actually section you. my experience tho.

i have experience with going to the er for stitches on an injury that was obviously si. i stated that i was seeing a T and a pdoc (therapist and psychiatrist) regularly and they stitched me up and let me go when i was adament that it was not a su attempt. that i had just gone too far.

i would say it is worth the risk, but you are trying to not be graphic so i don't know the extent of the injury. i don't handle pain well tho. hope it works out for you.

coffee :java:
"Do not be ashamed of the wars your soul has fought to save itself."
~isra al-thibeh

Chaos Child - My Blog

Milvus
board admin
board admin

Post by Milvus » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:30 pm

If you can't risk coming out at work then an Urgent Care sounds like the best option. Hoping for the best could lead to further unintended damage. I don't know your specific rights in your state but it's best to deal with medical issues promptly.
A nevem Corti és papírzsepi vagyok meg gumikígyó jövetele!

smud
one of us
one of us

Post by smud » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Thank you so much for your responses. It is a big help for me to hear your experiences.

So it's been two weeks now and I think I am going to be okay. I got some good supplies and I am not in so much pain now. I must fight the temptation of expecting/wanting/needing anyone else to take care of me. Really it is not such a big deal, just slow to heal I suppose. Thank you for your support!

... supplies ... suppose ... support ... hm ...

:hamster: hee hee it is a HAMSTER
Not last night
Not this morning
Melon flowers bloomed
- Basho

Pooh
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Pooh » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:07 am

Just read this thread. I dealt with an su attempt recently where the police were called. It was terrifying as, clearly I was not in a good, stable place, and I had NO idea what these cops would do. They knew that I was an su risk. They asked if I wanted them to take me to see a doctor. Like, "NO!" I was so grateful when they let me stay where I was to spend the night. Dealing with doctors, cops, etc.... very scary.

How are you doing?