Happy Thoughts from Childhood

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

sweetelisum
building community
building community

Happy Thoughts from Childhood

Post by sweetelisum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:19 pm

What are yours? I know it's easy to get wrapped up in day to day life where everything is a constant stressor; tests to pass, bills to pay... I read in a psychology magazine recently that it was good to write down the things you enjoyed doing when you were little (before the creativity was stripped from you in adulthood) and make an effort to do one of those things at least once a month to remind yourself not to take yourself so seriously... so here's my list:

- drinking from the garden hose
- running through the sprinklers or jumping in a puddle , not worried about dry cleaning
-eating honeysuckles off a bush or catching snowflakes on your tongue
- coloring books (hey, I'm 30, and a decent artist, but this is still super theraputic.. on amazon you can even get Adult Coloring books (no not that kind)-- like intricate mandalas, gangsta rap, etc.
-finger painting
- Mad Libs done absurdly to make yourself laugh
- watching movies rated "G"
- writing silly poems, taking out the severity of adulthood.
- playing around with new makeup techniques
- playing catch
- losing myself in awkward imaginative though
-making friendship bracelets or jewelry in general
-buying those age appropriate math and english workbooks (It will make you feel smart again, I assure you!)
-blowing bubbles
- not knowing everything, yet being inquitsitive about everything.

These are just a few. I'd love to hear what other people remember. You never know. It might help someone!
"Hinged to forgetfulness
like a door,
she slowly closed out of
sight,
and she was the woman I loved,
but too many times she slept like
a mechanical deer in my caresses,
and I ached in the metal silence
of her dreams."
-Richard Brautigan

herebedragons
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: Happy Thoughts from Childhood

Post by herebedragons » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:07 am

That is a really cool idea! I love bubbles too. And they seem to be a universal hit. Babies, kids, and quite a few adults love bubbles.

Let's see..

Playing in the mud. I used to spend hours making little mud huts and tiny rivers and what not. Got filthy but it was fun.

Playing with playdough.

My best friend and I used to love to have camp fires in her back yard and we would roast anything you could skewer over those fires.

Shooting baskets

Picking berries

Creek stomping (something we used to do at camp where we would walk through creeks and look at the animal and plant life.)

Playing in sand (have you seen that new kinetic sand or whatever it's called? I want some of that, the texture is so great.)

Drawing

Making paper snowflakes. (I did this with my daughter this last winter we had a lot of fun with it. The trick to a good snowflake? Start out with a hexagon.)
Let me think about the people who I care about the most. And how when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself.” — Ze Frank