moon raver's coping thread

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

moon raver's coping thread

Post by moon raver » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:21 pm

.:pinkstar:. because i can't rely solely on before and after coping to get me by.:pinkstar:.

first post ed tw

right now i'm feeling crap because i binged on oreos. i didn't even count how many i had, but it was somewhere around 3/4 of a row. i'll try changing my thinking. (i don't really have a big list of cool skills, suggestions welcome please?)
:lpurpstar: my thinking is that my healthy eating plan is screwed, and i'm a failure as a person.
:lpurpstar: it's not the end of the world. the binge happened, and i can't go back and change it. worrying about it won't change what happened, but it will hurt me more. my cousins are going to come over soon, and i can play minecraft with my younger cousin and talk with my older one, so i think i will just meditate and work on my self-love.
:pinkheart:

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Re: moon raver's coping thread

Post by Jamas » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:24 am

Hi moon raver...

how do you feel about replies and people reading along? Any ground rules or boundaries you would like to set?

I think meditating, working on self-love, and talking and playing and hanging out with cousins sounds like a wonder-full coping session.

You mentioned suggestions on skills -- what skills specifically would you like a hand with? ED skills, self-love skills, thinking-changing skills? What kind of wellness tools are you looking for?

Wishing you all the best for conscientious coping, :clover:

Your fellow-traveler,
Jamas

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:55 pm

Jamas wrote:Hi moon raver...

how do you feel about replies and people reading along? Any ground rules or boundaries you would like to set?

You mentioned suggestions on skills -- what skills specifically would you like a hand with? ED skills, self-love skills, thinking-changing skills? What kind of wellness tools are you looking for?
replies are welcome and graciously accepted :)
suggestions for coping skills... i guess i need help with pretty much everything. even substance abuse because i've started drinking.
i have issues with ed, sh, and past trauma. i'd really like to see if i can get by without antidepressants, and eventually without anxiety medication.

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm

not sure if this goes here, but it's my thread.
anyway, i faced a fear today. on my own terms.
when i was in the hospital in 2010 the showers and tubs were severely dirty. there were people there with all kinds of mental illnesses and... you can pretty much see where i'm going here.
anyway, the showers were considerably less dirty than the tubs. i developed a fear of bathing, but i'm fine with showering, under certain very specific conditions.
i decided today to take a bath in my own home, where the tub is clean (as far as i know). i lit some candles, turned out the lights so i wouldn't be able to see anything (that helped a lot, out of sight, out of mind) and put on some music i really like. i got as far as washing my hair when i started to panic and had to get out quickly. i feel like this was successful. i mean, i may never be required to take a bath in my life, but it would be nice to know that i can.

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:34 pm

yesterday i printed out a sample intake form, you know, one of those ones that ask you about your psychiatric history and you fill it out and give it to the person behind the desk? it was pretty thorough. well, i filled it out to give to my therapist and i'm going to look over it again before my appointment next wednesday to mark off things i am concerned about. i'm kinda shy about asking for help though, idk why.
pretty much the only thing i don't look good for is psychotic tendencies. and that's mostly just because i don't hear or see things. currently.
but that's what the therapist is there for.

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Jamas » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Hey, wow! It looks like you've really been facing down your fears and making some great progress! Great job! :disco: :gooddeal: :1hurray: :1dance: :1dance2: Keep up the great work! :1remind: :clover:

I think it's really great how honest with yourself you have been, how courageously you have been assessing your needs and seeking help and support, and how objectively you analyzed where your fears came from and what specific steps you needed to take to overcome them. I think it's really great the way you're being clear about your boundaries and your comfort limits, too. :gooddeal:

As they say in Wellness & Recovery Action Planning, recovery takes hope, personal responsibility, self-education, self-advocacy, and support, and it sounds like you are really making those elements happen in your life. Good for you! :gooddeal:

Here's hoping your T appointment brings you even more great progress, :clover:

Jamás :bfly:

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:54 pm

:lgrnstar: moonie's coping kit :lgrnstar:

1) playing cards, uno cards, any kind of cards you like to play with
2) coloring books, yes, for the shameless child in me
3) snacks (healthy ones) dark chocolate, dry cereal
4) loom bands or beads and cord (it really helps me)
5) lists of coping skills, reasons to be happy, people i can call when i'm feeling down, and coping skills for out in the world
6) play doh :D
7) calming cds

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Just Pomegranates » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:09 am

Hey Moon, your coping kit is looking really good - keep it up! And I hope it all helps. :D
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” - Dalai Lama XIV

“The shark that does not swim, drowns.” - Russian Proverb

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Just Pomegranates wrote:Hey Moon, your coping kit is looking really good - keep it up! And I hope it all helps. :D

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:39 pm

coping with binge urges ED TW
i avoided a binge last night by not eating what i wanted and eating peaches, a food that doesn't trigger me

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Jamas » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:08 am

Hey, congratulations! That's a great coping skill you used! :D :gooddeal:

I saw this and thought of you... some of it might be helpful, some not... everyone has their own sets of practices, the ones that work and the ones that don't work for them :roll: :-? :wink:

Keep up the good work! :clover: :1remind: :gooddeal:

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:27 am

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Jamas » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:40 pm

I particularly liked the page about flashback techniques. More of us need these skills. Thank you! :1remind:

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:26 pm

i'm having anxiety during a thunderstorm, so i'll try to use my skills on my own and if it becomes too much for me to handle i will tell my mother.
i have distract skills: crochet, knitting, loom bands, puzzles, coloring books, reading books, nail polish, playing cards, meditation rocks (worry stones),
and i have self soothing skills: lotion, perfume, peanut butter, candles, music, meditation rocks
but i'm getting really anxious so i'll tell my mom

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

ED TW

Post by moon raver » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:41 am

I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE I REALLY WANT TO BINGE AND PURGE

childofchaos831
forum moderator - rw & games & distractions
forum moderator - rw & games & distractions

Post by childofchaos831 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:29 am

did that last post help you?

i know for me, just admitting to someone else what i want to do helps me most of the time. just getting it out helps. makes it not so secret and not so in your head and bothersome. at least for me.

mainly wanted to let you know i stopped by...

coffee :java:
"Do not be ashamed of the wars your soul has fought to save itself."
~isra al-thibeh

Chaos Child - My Blog

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

dbt online resources

Post by moon raver » Thu May 07, 2015 1:49 pm

:redstar: i figured since self harm is a major symptom of borderline personality disorder, a lot of people on here could have it, so here's a list of online dbt resources. :redstar:
:dkpurpstar: for future reference :dkpurpstar:
:dkpurpstar: dbt self help

:dkpurpstar: dbt lessons

:dkpurpstar: dbt skills list

:dkpurpstar: emotions graphic

:dkpurpstar: dbt self help reddit board

:dkpurpstar: my dialectical life

:dkpurpstar: every day dbt

:dkpurpstar: dbt worksheets

:dkpurpstar: another list of resources

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu May 07, 2015 4:13 pm

justmeandmycoffee wrote:did that last post help you?

i know for me, just admitting to someone else what i want to do helps me most of the time. just getting it out helps. makes it not so secret and not so in your head and bothersome. at least for me.

mainly wanted to let you know i stopped by...

coffee :java:
it helped me somewhat, it was so long ago i can't remember if i actually b/p'ed or not but letting it out did help a lot.

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu May 07, 2015 4:16 pm

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Thu May 07, 2015 5:14 pm

my mother is upset about not being able to get her prescription from the pharmacy (some bullshit about prior authorization) and i've offered her tea to sip and tissues for her face, i've offered to make the calls instead of her, but she isn't accepting help. i guess i'll go in my room and use self soothe or distract, listen to nice calming music, sip green tea, maybe color a picture or write in my self soothe journal