Interventions for SI Behaviours (info)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Butterfly.
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon

Interventions for SI Behaviours (info)

Post by Butterfly. » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:32 am

I've recently done a sensory modulation group, and one of the hand outs we had was regarding some interventions that can be used to help reduce urges or at least distract. The original hand out was aimed at occupational therapists in a hospital setting, so I've changed a couple of the words to make it more self-orientated.
It does note that these strategies work best with early intervention (when urges first start I guess).

Suggested Interventions
  • Try and get to a safe and quiet space
  • Use a strong sensory input activity such as chair pushups, exercise band rowing*, gentle head rolls, chewing a large wad of gum
  • Use a rocking chair or glider (or rock back and forth gentle)
  • Use beanbag tapping**. Try a regime of beanbag tapping every few hours
  • If there is another person, have them give deep pressure touch such as "hand hugs" (claps both hands around the others hand and give firm pressure. Continue clasping by moving to the wrist, up arm and to shoulder, if tolerated. Repeat on other arm)
  • Place a heavy object on the lap, preferably something to stroke (e.g. weighted stuffed animal or heavy pillow with fuzzy fabric)
  • Do 'heavy work' such as moving boxes, or chairs.
  • Use something to manipulate in the hands such as a stress ball or "fidget widget"
  • Put mitts on hands and then substitute snug gloves
  • Engage in crafts or playing cards
Additional Points:
* Exercise band rowing - loop an exercise band (theraband) over your feet and hold the loose ends in each hand. Use rowing motions and move body back and forth.
** Beanbag tapping - take a small bean bag that fits comfortably in the hand. Gently, but firmly, tap the body. Start at one hand. Move up the arm, tap the backs of the shoulders and as much of the upper back as you can reach. Repeat on the other arm. Tap across the chest, allow the collar bone. Tap the tops of the legs, work down the legs towards the feet. Tap the feet including the bottoms of your feet. Never tap the neck or stomach area. Repeat for up to 10 minutes.

I can't find the name of the program or the book that the hand out was developed from, or I would have referenced it here.
Last edited by Butterfly. on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

Re: Interventions for SI Behaviours

Post by treasure » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 am

just wondering Jem, what does OT stand for? and is there extra information related to the * notes?

i think it's curious that stroking a stuffed animal or pillow could help, sometimes i do that when i'm bored or sleepy, we have an enormous shaggy pillow :)
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

Butterfly.

Re: Interventions for SI Behaviours

Post by Butterfly. » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks for picking those up treasure. Shall go back and edit (I forgot the * notes - they were things I was adding in to explain things that were taught in other parts of the course)

:purpstar:
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.