What's been helping me

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Alexander
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

What's been helping me

Post by Alexander » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:05 am

On Tumblr I look up blogs and posts tagged 'inspiration.' A lot of them show beautiful, colorful landscapes or fresh fruit, people pursuing health, and quotes and word that inspire me.

Women's self-defense classes.

Borrowing picture-rich travel books from the library and armchair-traveling to see hidden wonders all over the world. When I find something I find so beautiful or inspiring, I save a picture from the Google image search and I've been posting those on Tumblr.

Hula hooping has given me so many gifts, among them better health, but the most valuable thing I've learned is that as long as I keep picking up that hoop, I keep hooping -- and that failure is a sign that I'm pushing my limits and learning and growing and persisting. When I have a slip I hug myself and say, "You just dropped the hoop; you can pick it up again. And again."

Have-done list: every time I accomplish something, or even make an attempt, every time I try something new, learn something, even just making my bed, I write it down. I think of the attempts as practice, as reps, especially...

DBT skills! I make a point of committing to doing and recognizing at lead one a day. DBT skill class helps me learn and explore how I and others can practice them throughout life.

Urbanmonk.net has posts I find inspiring and thought-provoking on emotional mastery, love and compassion.

Zen koans, Sufi tales, teaching tales and other stories -- I've been collecting them in a journal which I add inspiring and beautiful stickers to. I've also been blogging them, and recording them over my favorite instrumental music to listen to when I'm struggling to sleep each night. I started with the collection at ashdakim.com.

Mindfulness, flow, self-induced trances that help me remain present and mindful.

I made up an imaginary family of the people I admire most, and imagine vividly them hugging and comforting me, what they would say to encourage me -- it's getting me in touch with my capacity for self-compassion and self-respect. Also we have imaginary parties, and there's no limit to where we can go, what we can accomplish together -- and this I find is putting me in touch with my dreams.

Michael Jackson. Music. Videos. Activism. What he gave inspired me beyond words.

Most of this I stumbled on by listening to my heart, following my wishes and passions and curiosity... No one could have told me these things, or I would have resisted and made excuses with all my might. I listened to the voice inside crying out for beauty and awesomeness, and notices what really made me feel better.

Love,
Holly

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Re: What's been helping me

Post by Jamas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Very, very cool. :gooddeal: Thank you for sharing such inspiring activities! :1beaming1: