Coping With Break-Ups.

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Lofticries
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Coping With Break-Ups.

Post by Lofticries » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:40 pm

Everyone goes through them at some point and I think they'll always be intensely difficult. When you already have mountains of MH problems it's just one more thing on a pile of obstacles and it's just so much to deal with.

My boyfriend broke up with me last Thursday. If anyone's heard me talk about him you'll know I loved him a lot and he was always an enormous help with everything. He was a huge thing that kept me going.

I know time is everything with these things but does anyone have some exercises or healing processes they find helpful to go through? Strategies that help you cope with being broken hearted on top of everything?
Things that help you move on or get your head straight or just stop being so sad. :cry:
Dry your smoke-stung eyes so you can see the light. Staring at the sky watching stars collide.

My Place . My Artwork . My PBH[/center]

Lofticries
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Re: Coping With Break-Ups.

Post by Lofticries » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Also, is it better to force yourself to think of the positives and make yourself go through these processes or is it best to wait until you feel ready to sit and go through them?

For example one thing I want to do is write all the things that were missing from our relationship that I needed and would have one day caused me to instigate the break-up. When I think about it though I just want to cry even though it would be a positive thing to do and would help me move forwards. Should I wait until it feels more natural or push it?
Dry your smoke-stung eyes so you can see the light. Staring at the sky watching stars collide.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:16 am

Break ups are always hard. My absolute main advice to give to people is: you had something special together, yes, but the love you felt is something you are still capable of - it is something you have inside you and you will find someone else to share it with eventually.

I think you need to mourn your relationship in whatever way feels natural, but if you can include a bit of positive thinking, and not give up on things you do just for yourself (like going out with friends), that should help.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Lofticries
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Lofticries » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 am

My problem is I'm just constantly up and down. One minute I think one thing then the next I think the exact opposite.
I just wish there were ways to get through it faster.

A lot of the things that happened with the break-up were worse than the break-up itself.