Hair pulling

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Azira
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Hair pulling

Post by Azira » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:10 pm

I've began self-harming again in these past few months, which has included pulling my hair out regularly.

It's gotten to the point where the damage is visible, so, could anyone share any methods they have for hiding or lessening that sort of thing? How about ways to stop yourself pulling hair out in the first place?

To start things off... wearing a hat has seemed the most obvious thing to do.

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Re: Hair pulling

Post by Jamas » Fri May 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Azira. :cowave:

I am sorry you have been going through such a hard time. I have friends who have also dealt with hair-pulling, so I know how difficult it can be. :blfrwn: Good luck in dealing with it! :clover:

Wearing a hat sounds like a good first step! :1treadmill: :1remind:

Here are some websites that may help:
http://www.trich.org/
http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Trichoti ... port-group
http://trichotillomania.supportgroups.com

Take good care, :1flwrs:

-Jamás :bfly:

desperateforgrace
forum moderator - spirit
forum moderator - spirit

Post by desperateforgrace » Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Azira,
I too pull out my hair, though not on my head like most people with trich do, but elsewhere on my body. And I haven't really been successful at stopping yet, but maybe a way to reduce the hair pulling I've been told is to keep your hands busy with something other than the pulling (ie..do crafts, writing, cross word puzzles if you are into that kind of thing).
Hope this helps at least a little, and know that you are not alone in your struggles. Keep fighting!
:1hug: :1hug: :1hug:
-me
By day I wear a mask of happiness and openness
By night, I cry a flood of tears
Wanting so much to show my real face
And be enshrouded in grace

"You are not told to build a skyscraper. You are told to be faithful with your brick."-FT
"You're not alone, stop holding on and just be held /Your world's not falling apart; it's falling into place."-Casting Crowns' "Just Be Held"

Rose and Paws are my sisters :)
My new place
My OLD place
my PBH
My poetry

Stefani140
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Stefani140 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi! This is something I have dealt with for years as well, sometimes worse than others. Have you considered getting treatment for this? I have not really talked to anyone that was able to stop on their own. It's a symptom that has a big basis and has a lot in common with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which also gets progressively worse without treatment. CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, is most successful for treating trich as far as I am aware so that might be something to look into.

Also, try to look for your triggers. Do you pull when you're stressed? Do you pull when you're bored? Try to identify when you're engaging in the behavior and try to find other coping mechanisms you can replace it with in those moments. For example, if you mostly pull when you're bored, and you feel yourself getting the urge to pull recognize that you most likely are just bored and go find something to do and see if that helps the urge to go away.

ETA: Keeping your hands busy is also a great suggestion. I crochet when I feel myself getting the urge to hair pull and it really helps.
"Even if you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it does not mean you're wrong."

PMs, comments, challenges, advice and hugs welcome.

My Place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128060

PokemonGeek
town councillor
town councillor

Post by PokemonGeek » Mon May 21, 2012 11:14 pm

I did the same thing for a year and a half. *SI* I didn't have the disorder that can cause you to do it because I would do it specifically on my legs to the point I bled whenever I was alone. I found out after I quit SIing that talking to someone helps out a great deal. Using this site has ALSO been a great part of my recovery! Good luck with your problem!
I will survive
Oh as long as I know how to love
I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live,
I've got all my love to give, and I'll survive
I will survive
~Gloria Gaynor

‎"Maybe you don't need the whole world to love you; maybe you just need one person"
-Kermit the Frog~The Muppets

"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog (Pokemon Black/White)

BUS Family:
s0_vERY_sCaReD

Somehow the wires uncrossed
The tables were turned
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn
I'm feeling good from my head to my shoes
I know where I'm going and I know what to do
I've tidied up my point of view
I've got a new attitude!
˜Patti LaBelle

Lofticries
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Lofticries » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:31 am

Kind of embarrassing but I've had trichotillomania since the age of about 4.

It's not a self-harm thing, it's a impulse-control disorder (a psychological condition where you are unable to stop yourself carrying out a particular action). I've never been able to stop for more than a short period of time.

It's my eyelashes, for a while when I was a child it was also my eyebrows and my hair.

I always try and wear fake eyelashes so people wont notice.
Dry your smoke-stung eyes so you can see the light. Staring at the sky watching stars collide.

My Place . My Artwork . My PBH[/center]

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Jamas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:24 am

Wishing conscientious recovery to everyone here... :1remind: :clover: