Healing through music

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Calder0789
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Healing through music

Post by Calder0789 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:20 am

So today I had a pretty close call. Without going into a long drawn out thing, I came close to cutting earlier but was able to distract myself from it by plugging into my ipod and focusing entirely on the music. Granted some songs work better than others and some will even push me closer to the edge on a bad day, but the point still remains that music has a very strong healing/soothing effect on me.

So to add to the many lists of coping strategies I wanted to make a thread for people to list their favorite 'coming down' songs. Albums, bands or individual songs that help distract you until those urges go away. Hopefully these will help other people get through their down periods

For me the best ones are something catchy but fairly mellow so I'm distracted but not agitated.
for instance:
The entire Marcy Playground CD (their first album)
No Rain - Blind Melon
Blue - VAST (the tempo is in 5/4 which is odd enough to keep my attention)
Glycerin - Bush
Good Riddance - Green Day
Brian Wilson - Barenaked Ladies
Most Pearl Jam music

And oddly enough the 13th step album by A Perfect Circle. I've heard some people say this album will actually ACT as a trigger, as it's a concept album about the stages of addiction and recovery (alot of which is applicable to SI) but for me it reminds me that I'm not going through this sort of thing alone.

So, anyone else have their favorite recovery soundtrack?
A hero is just a man who knows he's free.

Chey
welcome cow
welcome cow

Re: Healing through music

Post by Chey » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:28 pm

I too can relate to songs making me feel worse and others that make me feel better.

Some song that I listen to when I need a pick me up
Jai Ho - Slumdog Millionare soundtrack.
I will follow where you lead - Carole King
I'll Be There For You - The Rembrants
Everybody is Free to wear Sunscreen - Baz Luhrmann
Test of Faith - Amanda Marshall
So Young - The Corrs
Treeline - Sara Donner
I Run To You- Lady Antebellem

" “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important” — The Doctor, Season 6, Christmas Special

Stockholm
settling in
settling in

Post by Stockholm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:36 am

I like listening to sad music because it gives me insight on things. Some of the most powerful "sad" songs to me are:

The Beach Boys - Caroline, No: This is one of the saddest songs I have ever heard, really beautiful and tragic melody, especially the line "It's so sad to watch a sweet thing die." There are a lot of sad songs on that album 'Pet Sounds', but this one stood out to me.

Elliott Smith - Everything Reminds Me of Her: This is definitely in my top 3 favorite songs I have ever heard. It's such a complex, but beautiful and melodic arrangement. This is the kind of song I hear and think I will never hear something as perfect. I remember listening to this song on the way back from this girl's house I spent a lot of time with during the last week of summer. Listening to it always brings me back to that place. Elliott Smith was one of the greatest songwriters ever I think... his songs were so sweet and beautiful. A lot of his songs were about drug abuse and self injury, I just find him fascinating.

Interpol -Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down This is also one of my favorite songs of all time. It is a song about oral sex, but has a very cool and "noir" feel... this song actually makes me feel great, I listen to it everyday, and have for the past year.

Weezer- Devotion i just think this song is beautiful and has a sad and tragic melody

The Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes

fell_on_black_days
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by fell_on_black_days » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:46 am

Most Alice in Chains works for me.

innerpain
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by innerpain » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 pm

This is odd but when I am stressed and close to cutting, I hate all music, Most of the time i enjoy music but if I am on the edge a song I love can push me over it. it gets to a point where music induces self destructive rage I know thats not what this thread is about. I just thought I would share the fact that music no matter how calming can spark feelings of anger and rage when I am stressed. I don't understand it myself but its me and the way I am.
L_T_L

Because you know your flaws that makes you perfect,,but if you think your perfect that makes you flawed..

my poetry http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=93733[/

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Just Pomegranates » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Pretty much anything by My Chemical Romance or 30 Seconds To Mars particularly. And sometimes if I need something more thrashy/violent it'll be something like Leathermouth.
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” - Dalai Lama XIV

“The shark that does not swim, drowns.” - Russian Proverb

Chey
welcome cow
welcome cow

Post by Chey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 pm

The Corrs but not when I am feeling down. Avril Lavign or Kelly Clarkson when I need to sing out when frustrated. Sometimes overly happy songs annoy me when I want to get my feelings out but can't put them into words yet.

Chey

" “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important” — The Doctor, Season 6, Christmas Special