Stopping but not being believed *ED* trig possible

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

blueberry
creating your space
creating your space

Stopping but not being believed *ED* trig possible

Post by blueberry » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 am

I'm curious if anyone has any advice around trying to get someone to believe you about stopping some self destructive behaviors. My roommate asked a while back about things like my taking pills, cutting, and ED stuff. I was very honest, said yes I've done some but I haven't done others- specifically, I have not been purging since about February or May.

I don't think she believed me, it's been nagging at me. I swore I hadn't been doing any purging and in fact have been trying to keep a stable weight. I even said I could see how she could think I may be doing that (totally true, I've been sick, my stomach flipping out at pretty much anything- I could see how that could look like ed stuff), she seemed to blow it off though. I told her, yes, I've done some restricting but been trying to recognize when I am and correct it. Plus, we had been talking about EDs and distorted sense of *ideal* weight, I was agreeing with her and saying how back in middle school I thought x was a good weight but realize it is not a good weight and the rationale for the particular amount was silly- now she thinks I still believe that.

I know it took a lot for her to ask, and I appreciate her concern, but it is frustrating that she doesn't believe me and I have no clue how to bring it up without making a mess of things or making her not want to bring up concerns in the future. She struggled/struggles with EDs as well, I've periodically checked in with her- and she asked me to if I was concerned (she's getting pretty obsessive about loosing weight, even though she is thin and looks fine, she says she hasn't gone overboard so I don't bring it up unless she drops dramatically more- maybe this is what she thinks she is doing as well, I don't know, but I haven't lost weight for quite a while).

Any ideas on how to bring this up and/or convince her that I am being honest? I hope this is vaguely clear, lots on my mind and all jumbled up. Thanks :dkblheart:

knocking
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Re: Stopping but not being believed *ED* trig possible

Post by knocking » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:11 am

Hey. I'm sorry but I dont have any advice.. Just wanted to bump this post up again for you to see if someone else would see it and answer.

I think its good that you were honest with her and things.
Sorry again for having no advice, but hopefully by my bumping it up someone will notice it and help.

:fairy:
Knocking grants you the POWER to achieve all of your greatest dreams!!

"Kindness is often mistaken for softness and let me tell you,
friends, that is a mistake you don't want to make.
Kind people are not born that way, they do not stumble into it,
kind people are forged in fire and darkness and imploding stars,
they have steel cores. Throw a punch and you're going to break your hand.
Kind people are kind because they know firsthand that life isn't."

- Quote found online years ago.
:angelic: Knocking's pad, :fairy:
:bfly: come hangout if you like :1hug: