Dissociation - Coping Tips Please

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

tzanti
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Dissociation - Coping Tips Please

Post by tzanti » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:47 pm

I was diagnosed with Dissociation about two weeks ago. I had been stressed, depressed and had suicidal thoughts. A psychiatrist told me that I can't think because my mind is unable to cope with the very big emotions, and is 'running away' from them. She told me that in the short term it will be good because it will reduce my likelihood of taking my own life. In the medium and long term, if it persists, it will be worse than my depression.

In the meantime, I still need to work, and live. At the moment I'm very easily distracted, and find doing things in stages takes a long time - because I get distracted in the gaps between the stages. I boiled the kettle several times yesterday evening because I kept finding my coffee mug with a spoon in it on the worktop. I just never managed to make the coffee, the mug an spoon were still there when I woke up this morning. OK a cup of coffee doesn't matter, but if this happens at work during one of our emergency processes then someone could get hurt.

Does anyone know what I can do about this, I don't mean to end it - I believe what the MH people have told me about it keeping me alive - but how to deal with the 'lapses'? They generate a lot of frustration, for me and for others.
Tzanti.
No hugs please.

"Rational resistance, to an unwise urge." Prime Mover, Rush.
"Change means movement. Movement means friction." Saul Alinski

Place: The Rational Resistance

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: Dissociation - Coping Tips Please

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:37 am

Hey, I'm working in a second so I can't type out everything I want to.

Check out this link

http://www.buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5&t=145411

and pm me if you need some support or have more questions :)

:redstar: El
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

tzanti
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by tzanti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:09 am

That is great, but I'm not seeking to fight it. Because the MH people tell me it's a defence mechanism, a way of surviving my current quite heavy inclination toward SU, I need ways to cope with the Dissociation effects on my life, rather than stopping them from happening or fighting them off.

I'm off on hols now, but I'll take that page with me anyway.

Thank you very much.
Tzanti.
No hugs please.

"Rational resistance, to an unwise urge." Prime Mover, Rush.
"Change means movement. Movement means friction." Saul Alinski

Place: The Rational Resistance

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Well, I mean, yes it is a coping mechanism your brain has come up with to barricade itself against extreme stress. But I don't fully agree with your psychiatrist in that it's a "good" thing, even in the short term.

You need to find ways of fighting the stress that causes your SU thoughts without relying on dissociation to do it for you.
Has she proposed therapy? Medication?

Dissociation is your body's way of keeping you alive sure, but if you don't know how to fight it, you won't be able to hold a job with blackouts, you won't be able to concentrate on the people around you, hell I've been hit by a car because I was dissociated. You need to know how to ground yourself in case you are in a situation (like crossing the street) where you have to be on the ball.

And to be honest I've never "liked" the feeling of dissociation. Blackouts I can't do much about, but when I feel a little dissociated I need to fight it because I don't actually like the feeling. It's kind of like, being drunk without the good part. Each to their own I guess, but I like feeling in control.

The one thing I've found to help me during periods of extreme dissociation is to set up my mobile phone to alert me to do things. And I mean, everything. Get on a bus, eat breakfast, take meds, brush your teeth, head to class, etc.

Also, remember to get enough sleep. Sleep will reduce your dissociation, which I get you don't want to do, but getting enough rest will also help your depression.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by strmdncr » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:28 pm

If the dissociation is interfering with your ability to safely complete tasks then it doesn't sound to me like your psychiatrist necessarily is aware of the extent to which you are dissociating.
I'm not sure if you simply didn't get around to making the coffee or if you actually had the water boiling away. If it's the second then you are entering into a space where things can become unsafe.
What Licentia said about alarms is an excellent idea in the meantime. It doesn't mean that you are stopping yourself from dissociating but instead is kind of a reminder that it is time to do a particular task.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

secret_writer
settling in
settling in

Post by secret_writer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 am

My dissociation is minor compared to yours but like you I was told it's a good "defense" mechanism and I shouldn't fight it completely.
There are some things that have helped me:
* I've told my friends to watch me during school - they know that if I start to dissociated, a slap on the cheek or a rough touch on the shoulder can bring back to a minor level of focus.
* Honing in on what someone is saying can also bring me back sometimes.
* If I have an important task to do, or I am working, I force myself to sing a song I don't know very well, forcing myself to concentrate on the lyrics and my mind not to leave.
* I also will state in my mind: Wash the windows, little circles, little circles, big circles, etc. To keep myself focused. This doesn't help with dissociating emotionally, but it stops a complete blackout or "leaving"

I hope this helps a little! You can always PM me and we can brainstorm some other things related to dissociation coping tips!
My Place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=172482
My Poems: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172484
  • Mutant and proud." ~ X-Men: First Class
    "I can't cope when things get messed up, I try to move on but I just get stuck...
    ... I'm ashamed of what I used to do ... ... my oldest enemy and my only friend...
    ... I'm stranded between relapse and recovery." ~ Outcast Youth
    "From a hundred nights and a thousand tears, locked up in my room feeling bound by fears, listening to Good Charlotte and Linkin Park." ~ Outcast Youth

moon raver
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by moon raver » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:04 pm

secret_writer wrote:
* I've told my friends to watch me during school - they know that if I start to dissociated, a slap on the cheek or a rough touch on the shoulder can bring back to a minor level of focus.
that doesn't work for everybody, i mean, at least for me, once, when i was in class, i kinda zoned out, and my friend tapped my shoulder, and i really was on edge and i started hyperventilating because it was kinda... out of nowhere, ya know?
but i'd recommend a gentle reminder, like a sound reminder. how about if you're sitting in between two friends and they start talking over you. that would wake me up without freaking me out.