Coping with Tarot

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Coping with Tarot

Post by half/hearted » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:16 pm

I am a Tarot enthusiast - I collect decks, read cards, and meditate on them. I have found that my cards have become a comfort object for me, and that I can distract myself really easily by reading them and studying books on Tarot. Even if you don't read Tarot cards, you could try picking up a deck at the bookstore - they run about $20 USD, usually - and just meditating on some of the calming cards, like Temperance (balance in life) or The Star (hope). Don't linger on cards like Death or the Ten of Swords...look for happy cards. Gaze at them. Picture yourself in that scene, whether it's the joyous celebration of the Three of Cups or the perfect unity of The Lovers. And who knows? You might end up learning to read them :)

Anyway, that's what's been helping me lately. When I get anxious, I just start shuffling my cards, looking through them, occasionally doing readings on "how can I get through this?" I often get Strength when I ask how to get through something - Strength means not physical strength, but gentle emotional strength.

There are many lovely Tarot decks out there; I recommend the Lo Scarabeo Tarot or one of the Faerie oracle or Angel decks. They are very gentle, calming, and beautiful.

Just my two cents on what's helping me. :)

h/h
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

bibliophilia
one of us
one of us

Re: Coping with Tarot

Post by bibliophilia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 am

Oooooh, I like this!
I generally use the Crowley-Thoth deck and I can see this being very helpful. Thanks for the idea!
"...I am tired of you taking from me, and I have let you eat from the fruit of my tree. I am not the one to turn into a laurel wreath. For the last time, you have crossed my line."

-Tori Amos "Apollo's Frock"

TerrierQueen
one of us
one of us

Post by TerrierQueen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:02 am

I've been thinking about this lately. I use Tarot as a meditative tool, too. I do find it very relaxing. =) For me personally, it helps me to clear my thoughts...I've recently had a very rough time focusing, I just can't concentrate on anything. But when I do readings for myself, it makes me look at stressful situations in an entirely new perspective.
--Caitlin :bspider:
2 years SI free

capricorn
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by capricorn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 pm

I like the Tarot and find it very useful, although I have gotten out of the habit of reading it regularly :-?
Always found the Fool quite helpful ... in terms of the courage to strike out on your own, and take life as it comes, you know? The Tower also reminds me that what you see as "failure" can often lead to new beginnings and brighter things ...

:bfly:
~Capri
xoxo

"Awake and unafraid."
My Chemical Romance

"I am haunted by humans."
The Book Thief

"Been trying hard not to get into trouble, but I've got a war in my mind."
Lana Del Rey

"It's always darkest just before the dawn. So stay awake with me. Let's prove them wrong."
Rise Against

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Dune

TerrierQueen
one of us
one of us

Post by TerrierQueen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 am

capricorn wrote: Always found the Fool quite helpful ... in terms of the courage to strike out on your own, and take life as it comes, you know? The Tower also reminds me that what you see as "failure" can often lead to new beginnings and brighter things ...
I agree. =) The Fool and the Tower always pop up at the most relevant times, it seems.
--Caitlin :bspider:
2 years SI free

capricorn
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by capricorn » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Indeeds.
I think with the Tarot it's so important to not freak out when you get something like 3,9 or 10 of Swords, or Death or The Tower, that look alarming ... just have to look at the warnings they might be giving you and the lessons you stand to learn from them. That being said I knew my life was looking up when I finally stopped drawing 9 of Swords in every reading. lol.
~Capri
xoxo

"Awake and unafraid."
My Chemical Romance

The Book Thief

Lana Del Rey

"It's always darkest just before the dawn. So stay awake with me. Let's prove them wrong."
Rise Against

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Dune

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:55 pm

So cool to see that there are other folks here interested in Tarot :D

bibliophilia - I haven't got a Crowley-Thoth deck yet, but it's on my wish list. I figure that if I'm going to understand Tarot fully, I should have more than just Rider-Waite decks! The Thoth approach is very interesting to me and I'll be interested to see how it differs from the RWS decks I have.

I got both the 9 of Swords and the Fool in a reading I did recently about how I was going to quit smoking. The 9S was in the "what you must go through" position, and the Fool was the "outcome." This is actually very hopeful to me - the Fool promises a new beginning, a clean slate, a fresh outlook on life...and I think the 9 of Swords is just withdrawal pain. I've quit before and yes, the withdrawal was horrible, but it'll be worth it to have clean lungs. I look forward to being able to watch comedy shows and laugh hysterically without sending myself into a coughing fit!
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

Chey
welcome cow
welcome cow

Post by Chey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm

I want to get a deck of tarot. I might try to make a deck but I am not sure I have access to a laminate machine.

" “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important” — The Doctor, Season 6, Christmas Special

capricorn
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by capricorn » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 pm

I didn't bring my RW deck with me to uni ... today I saw a really awse manga-style deck in a shop which I bought on impulse. I really love it :osmile:
And it smells nice too, always a plus :oP:
~Capri
xoxo

"Awake and unafraid."
My Chemical Romance

The Book Thief

Lana Del Rey

Rise Against

Dune

Windswept Thumb
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Windswept Thumb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:06 pm

I often use my Tarot cards to sort out my thoughts. Good to see others use them as well. :)
For I am nothing more than a ghost and a shadow upon this earth. - Me