Too Numb to Cry

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Too Numb to Cry

Post by disastercake » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:01 pm

I find myself going back to the emotional state I was in years ago when I was actively struggling with SI, which was rather numb. These days, though, I am more aware of it and I want to do something about it but I'm not sure what. I laugh and have fun, and I feel a ton of compassion/empathy for other people. The problem is sadness. I feel sad, and I tell myself it's okay to cry, but I can't.
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: Too Numb to Cry

Post by disastercake » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:07 am

I've tried reading sad stories, thinking of sad things, watching sad movies, and seeing other people cry used to make me cry sometimes and that hasn't worked either (not that I just went around asking people to cry, lol).

for there you have been,
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:42 am

I sometimes physically force myself to cry - onions, or staring without blinking. I don't know how to cure that "dead" feeling though. I think Elizabeth Wurtzel explained it well in Prozac Nation - that the pain experienced during depression is just a cover up, and the truly depressed are the living, waking, walking dead. Have you spoken to your/ a doc? Sometimes meds can give you that feeling. Or rather, not being on meds you need to be on can too.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:13 am

That's a good idea on getting started, I'll try that next time. As far as a doc/meds, I've never been on any meds and it seems feeling numb is a phase I go through every once in a while. This time isn't as worse as when I was actively SIing about 5 years ago, but it bothers me more now because I am more aware of it.

for there you have been,
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 am

Hrm, well, it sucks a lot and it is an awful way to be feeling, but feelings can't hurt you. If you find it isn't going away this time, or it disturbs your life then it might be worth doing something about it. But in the meantime, yeah - try the onions :)
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

desperateforgrace
forum moderator - spirit
forum moderator - spirit

Post by desperateforgrace » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:19 pm

I have the same problem. Right now, I feel like I'm about to cry but am afraid to because of the reactions I may get (you know, those looks and stares, and what the heck is wrong with you looks?). I would try to listen to the saddest songs you know and try to be emotionally involved in the songs. If that doesn't work, I would try talking to a trusted friend or psychologist/therapist about how you are feeling and why.
By day I wear a mask of happiness and openness
By night, I cry a flood of tears
Wanting so much to show my real face
And be enshrouded in grace

"You are not told to build a skyscraper. You are told to be faithful with your brick."-FT
"You're not alone, stop holding on and just be held /Your world's not falling apart; it's falling into place."-Casting Crowns' "Just Be Held"

Rose and Paws are my sisters :)
My new place
My OLD place
my PBH
My poetry