Coping because you HAVE to

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

PLAIN JANE
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Coping because you HAVE to

Post by PLAIN JANE » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:27 pm

I have a lot going on in my life. I am coping because I have to, people depending on me. I was wondering, is this unhealthy? I'm not coping because I want to. I'm afraid I'm just pretending to cope. I just don't know. Does pretending count? Does it matter? Any thoughts on this would be great.
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Place

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: Coping because you HAVE to

Post by disastercake » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:13 am

The way I see it is that whether you want to or not you are building coping skills, and you will be able to draw on those and the fact that you have been being strong at this time down the road. I think anytime you are doing something besides SI that is not drugs or alcohol (or otherwise harmful) is healthy as long as you're safe.
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by strmdncr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:18 pm

In part it depends on what you are doing to cope. If getting through the day means keeping too busy to take care of yourself and your own needs, eating in unhealthy ways, using large amounts of caffiene to get going/keep going and then sleeping meds to get you to sleep at night, dealing with si and su urges, etc. - my personal experience has been that at some point comes a crash and it's usually a pretty hard one.

If on the other hand you are trying to cope by eating in healthy ways, exercising, maintaining time for yourself to meet your own needs, getting adequate sleep, meeting deadlines for things etc. then even though to yourself you may feel like you are pretending you are still coping in a healthy way and learning how to take care of yourself and others during difficult times and that is usually considered a good thing.

If you would like to talk feel free to pm me.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 pm

I agree, it depends on what you mean by cope. If you're staying alive and getting up for work, or going to school and all that for someone else, then it's not a bad thing. Those things are going to help you feel worthwhile in the long run, and of course you need to stay alive :) My school counsellor way back in the day always said to me "fake it til you make it". Her saying that always annoyed me because it was SO tiring trying to pretend that I was okay, when I clearly wasn't. But in a way it's true. The fact that I had to pretend to be okay probably got me through the worst years of my life. If I didn't have to pretend, I might've just gone to bed and never got out. But obviously it would be good if your needs were being met and you had someone you could talk to about this so you wouldn't feel like you have to "pretend" to everybody.

On the other hand, if you're putting aside your problems to help others, ignoring your needs for help, and making yourself feel worse because of the amount of effort you're putting in, or resorting to unhealthy mechanisms SI/ED/alcohol/drugs in order to keep "looking" like you're doing fine, then that's not a good thing. Your needs come first, and this kind of "coping because you have to" probably isn't very effective acting - people can often see through it. Or so I've found.

Does that answer your question?
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

elizabethpoe31
building community
building community

Post by elizabethpoe31 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:44 am

I know what you mean and have often wondered the same thing. Coping because I can't imagine NOT doing so, because there's so much riding on me being capable and productive.
Take care :grnstar:

PLAIN JANE
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by PLAIN JANE » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:49 pm

I work a lot, need the cash and it keeps my mind off things.
I do positive things to cope but feel like it's fake as I am often thinking of unhealthy things to do. I rarely act on them.
I feel if I was honest about how I FEEL, it would scare people.
Place

Stormy Llwellyn
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Stormy Llwellyn » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Wow, good topic. I think for me, strmdancer and El hit the nail on the head. I will cope with positive things, such as exercise and volunteer work that I love but is not overwhelming. I love my job so when my day is productive that in itself is rewarding and helps me cope. When work is not so great I tend to cope in negative ways, such as staying up late and drinking too much coffee in the day etc.
Licentia Poetica wrote:I agree, it depends on what you mean by cope. If you're staying alive and getting up for work, or going to school and all that for someone else, then it's not a bad thing. Those things are going to help you feel worthwhile in the long run, and of course you need to stay alive :)
Second this.
My school counsellor way back in the day always said to me "fake it til you make it". Her saying that always annoyed me because it was SO tiring trying to pretend that I was okay, when I clearly wasn't.

Ditto
PLAIN JANE wrote:
I feel if I was honest about how I FEEL, it would scare people.
Yes I understand this also and when I do I ask for help from others. Like my t,when I can reach her, or my "safe person" at work. When neither is available I usually come to bus. I guess that reaching out to people who I trust and will listen to me is my way to cope. Is there anyone irl that you can turn to?
You can PM me if you like.
Mike
Mike's Place

God,grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference

TWLOHA

:moo: Kaylee

PLAIN JANE
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by PLAIN JANE » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:17 pm

The real life people get scared if I am not my usual positive self. My penance I suppose for that take charge, got my shit together image I project.

I work too much to fill my time. Drink gallons of coffee, throw in Marlboros. Not exactly healthy but better than the other choices.

Bus is the only place I can admit I feel bad. I had a T but I think I faked that too well as she said there was nothing else she could help me with and I was wasting my money.
Place

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Try a new T and don't fake it?
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Stormy Llwellyn
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Stormy Llwellyn » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:03 am

Licentia Poetica wrote:Try a new T and don't fake it?
I have to agree with El again here. I had a wonderful T who helped me through some of the roughest times and she had to move away. I was devastated. I bounced through a couple of T's because we either didn't "click" or I don't think they understood si and it scared them because they had no way to approach it. I'm guessing here. Someone irl once told me, shop around untill you find a caregiver you like. ( gp, T, p-doc, etc. ) It is your money and they work for you. Just tell them how you feel. Give it a try, you might find someone you like.
Mike
Mike's Place

God,grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference

TWLOHA

:moo: Kaylee

PLAIN JANE
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by PLAIN JANE » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:41 pm

good advice about the T. It's just so daunting. My new health insurance doesn't cover mental health services. My other option is a government run program. I've been there before and the people there are so over-worked it's not a very good option.
I'm also afraid of dredging up certain things as it causes flashbacks and nightmares. I do quite well for the most part and it helps so much to come here.
Thanks to everyone for your spot on advice and support.
Place