coping with death?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

coping with death?

Post by Neviah » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:16 am

how?

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: coping with death?

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:43 am

I wish I had answers for you. But apart from what I've already told you, I can only say that time will make it better. It won't fix it - it never does. But.. somehow the memories can be nostalgic and happy instead of always just painful.

Have you been over to the expressions forum? There's a bit of a tribute thread for people who've died. Maybe you can find a poem or something to post there?
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

jaded melody
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by jaded melody » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:58 pm

The only advice I can give is to talk about how you feel. Don't keep it bottled up. When you feel like crying, let yourself cry. The big trap with bereavement is that often people don't really let themselves grieve properly, sometimes because they feel like they need to be strong for others, sometimes because they're worried that if they let it out, they'll be completely overwhelmed and unable to cope, but although it might feel like once you start to let yourself feel, the pain will never go away, if you give it a chance it really really helps to talk about it, and let it out, and allow yourself to feel the grief.

It does get better, but it takes time. People often expect you to be over it much more quickly than is realistic. Don't let them. I'm sorry for your loss.
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star,
twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
- Lord Byron

Annybelly
being the change
being the change

Post by Annybelly » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Hey, I'm afraid I don't have tons of useful words to say, but I think Licentia and Jaded Melody are spot on.
And I wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you, and offer some :1hug: :1hug: if they're wanted.
♥ "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." ♥

♥ "You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." ♥

♥ "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." ♥

♥ "I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace." ♥

♥ "Things haven't always been this bad, therefore, things won't always be this bad." ♥

My Place
My Efforts At Being Healthy
My Bus Butterfly Obsession

♥ DFTBA ♥

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Neviah » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:09 am

thanks everyone

I was talking to a girl at work yesterday, she also knows I have ed issues now as she asked me straight out if i was eating properly (ive lost weight) so i figured i trust this girl and shes my friend I may aswell take the opportunity to talk things over IRL. She was lovely and supportive and i apologised later for talking about things for so long (30minutes) and she just said "hey, sometimes you just need to talk about things" which was really nice of her. made me feel better for taking up half of her dinner break.

i didnt think talking would ever help but i have a couple of people pming me and a couple of people at work supporting me, and its alot easier that way.

I learned that you do not hold the tears in as that actually physically hurts, that was not a good plan.

thanks for your advice, it helps.

SplinteredGirl
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by SplinteredGirl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 am

hiding the tears does NOT do nay good, trust me. if your in a public place and you need to cry, go to the bathroom or something and let it out. it will only hurt more to keep it in. and yes, it really does help to talk about it. strange, especially with us and SI (and others allthough not me with ed) theres so much stigma, and it makes it so hard to share things, but death, thats universal. it affects everyone.
anyways im rambling. express yourself. that what i had ot do when i lost my friend. i talked about her alot i wrote letters ot her, i cryed, i visited her family alot that first year. going thereon holidays and such. for me, it helped. and it hlped her mom which made me feel better about what happened.
again, as i said in nest, be around those who care about you and you trust. it helps. it helps it not feel so lonley..

and yes, one day, the memories dont seem so full of pain. one day, they make you smile and not cry. i promise you that. LET yourself feel whatever it is your feeling. dont hold it in. it will only make it worse, and youll "explode" at perhaps an embaressing time. at least, thats what happened to me.

thinking of you :cyheart: take care

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Neviah » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 am

thankyou, weird thing is, i was in bed when i held those in, and only a few hours previously i was crying on the bus.

So that's weird, i wouldnt cry in front of my boyfriend but 40 strangers is fine?

its like i see him everywhere, when it was sunny it felt like he was watching over me and now it's snowy and he talked about snow alot.