Distraction Box

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Stawberry_Lollipops
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Distraction Box

Post by Stawberry_Lollipops » Sun May 23, 2010 9:50 am

It has been eight months since I've Sied.

What occurred to me the other day is that rather than try and learn new coping methods during these past eight months & ways to deal with urges, I've merely just been repressing everything instead which I don't think is good if I want to continue SI free.

I've decided to make a 'distraction box' to help with the urges. I bought a lovely blue box yesterday but I'm unsure what to actually put in it. Any suggestions? Have any of you made distraction boxes before & what was useful for you? Or what distractions work well for you?

:blkstar: :redstar: :blkstar: Ness :blkstar: :redstar: :blkstar:
~ My Place ~

"Rejoice in our suffering, suffering produces perserverance, perserverance - character and character hope"

* ~ * ~ * ~ *

“There is no use trying,” said Alice; “One can’t believe impossible things!”
“I dare say you haven’t had much practise,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day
Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” - Lewis Carroll

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to the difference.

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Re: Distraction Box

Post by Jamas » Tue May 25, 2010 12:52 am

Cool idea, Ness! And ... CONGRATS on the :180_days_si_free: :60_days_si_free: !

I don't have a distraction box, but I do have a "psych first aid" kit that I take with me everywhere, and it's got a little bottle of Bach Flower Rescue Remedy, a little bottle of lavender essential oil that I can sniff to calm down & focus, and a tiny bottle of bubble solution with a loop-stick so that I can blow bubbles any time of the day, and blow all of my stressors and problems away. In the past, I had a smooth stone with the word "Courage" engraved on it, that I could "worry" at by rubbing it between my fingers. During the school year, I keep a small pocket Bible with me, written in Italian, so that I can take it out and try to read it whenever I need distraction. I also used to keep photos of loved ones in my wallet, so I could pull them out and think of them when I needed comfort.

Best of luck with your own box! :clover:

Wishing you happy distractions,

-Jamas

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:06 pm

I've made one before. Useful things I've put in it were a list of reasons I wanted to stop SI and a list of reasons why I do not deserve to be hurt to read when I feel I do. I also had bubbles like Jamas :D Bubble are AWESOME :) ! I had a printed out page of the before questions as well. I made it a long time ago so I can't remember what else; I think I had a slinky and some pretty crystals and stones. Something else which helped was printing that really long list of coping mechanisms. I highlighted all the ones which I had found helpful in the past / thought would be helpful in the future so that when I was overwhelmed looking at a 15 page list would not be even more overwhelming and the most helpful options stood out. :)
hope this helps :)

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

Heidi4DBT
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Heidi4DBT » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:59 pm

I think that is a great idea. I learned about making one called a hope box.

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Jamas » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:07 pm

That sounds cool! Kind of like Pandora's box, in reverse...

What kinds of things would one put in a hope box?

Stawberry_Lollipops
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Stawberry_Lollipops » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:41 am

Oh dear, it seems I have neglected this thread :oops:

However thanks all so much for your suggestions. Greatly appreciated! I did end up making a distraction box in the end. I put a lot of different things in it; a stress ball, list of reasons NOT to SI, a photo album of happy memories/people that meant a lot to me, a puzzle book, coloured paper and pencils, bubble wrap (this stuff could entertain me for hours :tongue:) some coloured beads and elastic to make bracelets/necklaces out of and I think I may even have put some chocolates in there too :)

I absolutely love the idea of the bubbles! :D I shall have to hunt some down to put in my box now!

The hope box sounds awesome too. Maybe you could put a list of dreams/hopes/aspirations/goals for the future? Or an object or something that symbolises hope to you...

:dkpurpstar: Ness :dkpurpstar:
~ My Place ~

"Rejoice in our suffering, suffering produces perserverance, perserverance - character and character hope"

* ~ * ~ * ~ *

“I dare say you haven’t had much practise,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day
Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” - Lewis Carroll

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to the difference.

Stormy Llwellyn
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Stormy Llwellyn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:13 am

I have a polished rock at work that I rub when I am stressed. At home I have an old toy and I am not sure you can get them anymore. It's a Spirograph. It makes drawings by using different size gears.It's very relaxing. I never thought of bubbles! I will have to get some also.
Mike
Mike's Place

God,grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference

TWLOHA

:moo: Kaylee

SplinteredGirl
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by SplinteredGirl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 am

i love the spirograph idea! havnt seen one in years.

you could try some crayons, some paints. i like to melt was crayons sometimes (if candles arnt a trig for you) some scented candles, a coloring book, a notebook to vent in. something to mold with your hands. a picture or letter of/from a loved one. a picture of your pet. a picture of you as a child.

mande
forum moderator - life after & place
forum moderator - life after & place

Post by mande » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:55 am

I have pictures of my prom, C's college ID from '98 :o , the ticket stubs from a trip to Michigan, some currency from Jamaica C brought back for me. I should add some lists in there..

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Neviah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:53 am

i have a colouring book and crayons under my bed

Stawberry_Lollipops
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Stawberry_Lollipops » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:41 am

The Spirograph sounds awesome Mike! I haven't seen one in agess, not since I was a kid I don't think. It must be such a good distraction :)

Melting crayons sounds like fun too :P
Will have to get myself some crayons and a colouring book I think.

:blkstar: :redstar: :blkstar: Ness :blkstar: :redstar: :blkstar:
~ My Place ~

* ~ * ~ * ~ *

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Neviah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:45 am

Stawberry_Lollipops wrote:Melting crayons sounds like fun too :P
bet it smells vile though lol

Stawberry_Lollipops
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Stawberry_Lollipops » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:54 am

lol yes, it probably wouldn't smell very nice but I still think it might be fun. Melting things has always intrigued me, god knows why :roll:
~ My Place ~

* ~ * ~ * ~ *

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Neviah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:56 am

m... i used to find burning tissues amazing. (DO NOT DO IT) mum still doesnt know where that burn in the carpet came from (oops)

Annybelly
being the change
being the change

Post by Annybelly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 pm

I love spirograph! I had one when I was abour 5 or 6.. so that was, what, 8 or 9 years ago maybe? I had my mums old one as well!
♥ "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." ♥

♥ "You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." ♥

♥ "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." ♥

♥ "I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace." ♥

♥ "Things haven't always been this bad, therefore, things won't always be this bad." ♥

My Place
My Efforts At Being Healthy
My Bus Butterfly Obsession

♥ DFTBA ♥

volta
being the change
being the change

Post by volta » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:08 pm

i have a mini-spirograph kit. you can get them from the toy section at the grocery store for under three dollars here.

Stormy Llwellyn
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Stormy Llwellyn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:00 am

I had no idea that so many people would like the spirograph idea! I also love to color in a coloring book! Way cool ideas. Great thread!
Mike's Place

God,grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference

TWLOHA

:moo: Kaylee

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Neviah » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:45 am

U used to have spirographs but i could never quite make it work

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:59 am

:ylwstar: :lpurpstar: :lgrnstar: i had an emergency box a long time ago.

i dont have one anymore , but just reading through this post , i think i will make another emergency box,

its always good and helpful to have one.
you never know when you need it.

thanks for the ideas

i would also include a cd of my favorite songs.
and a cd of songs that one of my pen pals sent me.
:1flwrs:

SplinteredGirl
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by SplinteredGirl » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:20 pm

wow i forgot about this.. i wonder where mine is..