Is there really an alternative?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

WhereIsTheLove
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Is there really an alternative?

Post by WhereIsTheLove » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:30 pm

What is a really good alternative to self-injury? I know people say rubber bands, ice, drawing on yourself with marker, etc. But I find SI to be a unique pain that I can't replicate with those things, so they aren't effective. Plus, I SI for too many reasons to name so those things don't work that well for those other things. It is like being hungry for carbs but having to eat a plate of lettuce. It doesn't work.

I really want to stop SI, but am having such a difficult time with it. I feel like it would be easier if I could replace it with something (healthy) that really will work. What do you think?
Hugs are always welcome and appreciated. =]
I am an open book so feel free to ask me anything.
Feel free to pm me if you want to!

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: Is there really an alternative?

Post by strmdncr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:40 am

Perhaps if there are as you say too many to list as to why you si then it's not so much a matter of finding an alternative to si'ing as it is learning how to cope with the things that are driving the urges to si?
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

guest23
growing roots
growing roots

Post by guest23 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:34 pm

I second stormdancer.

Using your example. You want carbs but you can only have lettuce. Either way you are satasfying the main issue - you're hungry. So you want to si but you can only jog/knit/doodle/clean.... but in the end you are solving the issue of _______________.

Fill in the blank and things should start to fall into place.
"You've come far and though you're far from the end, you don't mind where you are because you know where you've been."
- Carbon Leaf

Uriel, The third planet of the star Malek in the spiral nebula Messier 1 0 1.

Annybelly
being the change
being the change

Post by Annybelly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Thats a areally good way of putting it.
I want carbs, I get lettuce, but at the end of the day, at least I'm not hungry.
As long as I accept and eat the lettuce that is.
♥ "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." ♥

♥ "You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." ♥

♥ "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." ♥

♥ "I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace." ♥

♥ "Things haven't always been this bad, therefore, things won't always be this bad." ♥

My Place
My Efforts At Being Healthy
My Bus Butterfly Obsession

♥ DFTBA ♥