Writing a work of fiction?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Xanne
one of us
one of us

Writing a work of fiction?

Post by Xanne » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 pm

I'm struggling with the urge to SI today and had an idea. I've written a lot and journalled for years. What about instead of actually SIíng I just write about a character that does what I want to do? Has anyone tried that? Did it help?

:ideanew:
Believing in fate or destiny is a good way of avoiding looking at the issues of your life.

chibihera
settling in
settling in

Re: Writing a work of fiction?

Post by chibihera » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:12 am

I have done this and it has helped drastically but there is a catch... if you get triggered by reading about Si then this could trigger you to do it anyway.
. :1flwrs: When I said I'd like a hug, I meant I needed one... :1flwrs:

:1grhug: Hugs are always welcome and usually needed :1hug:

:cyheart: Some times when I say, "Oh I'm fine" I want someone to look me in the eyes and say, "Tell me the truth"... :1soothe:

:heart: Even the most injured of hearts,
can and will one day be mended,
but will always have the scars,
to show the pain that it once felt.
:heart:
:angelic: ~Hera aka me~ :angelic:

ImageImageImage Image Image Image

Bus family:
sister- jadestarwalking
Aunt- waydownsouth

Xanne
one of us
one of us

Post by Xanne » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:26 am

chibihera,

Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered that aspect. I guess lucky for me, reading about SI doesn't trigger me. What's strange is that while I was thinking about SI, writing about it seemed like the perfect solution. While I was writing about it I found that I didn't want to write about it at all. Made me not want to even think about it. However, it did make me want to curl up in bed. So guess what? That's exactly what I did! Cutting avoided for another day!!!! :tongue:
Believing in fate or destiny is a good way of avoiding looking at the issues of your life.

chibihera
settling in
settling in

Post by chibihera » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:07 am

Congrats! I'm glad you went another day SI Free!
. :1flwrs: When I said I'd like a hug, I meant I needed one... :1flwrs:

:1grhug: Hugs are always welcome and usually needed :1hug:

:cyheart: Some times when I say, "Oh I'm fine" I want someone to look me in the eyes and say, "Tell me the truth"... :1soothe:

:heart: Even the most injured of hearts,
can and will one day be mended,
but will always have the scars,
to show the pain that it once felt.
:heart:
:angelic: ~Hera aka me~ :angelic:

ImageImageImage Image Image Image

Bus family:
sister- jadestarwalking
Aunt- waydownsouth

Annybelly
being the change
being the change

Post by Annybelly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 pm

considered it-- but never tried it, i might give it a go...
someone did about ED in a book called monkey taming.. its ED trigg tho..
♥ "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." ♥

♥ "You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." ♥

♥ "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." ♥

♥ "I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace." ♥

♥ "Things haven't always been this bad, therefore, things won't always be this bad." ♥

My Place
My Efforts At Being Healthy
My Bus Butterfly Obsession

♥ DFTBA ♥

satori
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by satori » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 am

writing about characters that SI has actually helped me a lot over the years. I get to fantasize about it without actually doing the act, and a lot of times I manage to get out feelings I didn't even realize I had. it's generally a pretty safe method for me too, once I start writing a story about a character doing SI, I usually get caught up in it enough that my own urge to SI goes away without me even realizing it for awhile. the biggest challenge is getting enough focus to actually sit down and write in the first place, but if I can do that I'm usually set.

I'd definitely recommend giving this a try for anyone that likes to write :bluestar:
:redstar: proud SHACA member! don't blame the cat!
:redstar: I'm thirty-five years old [2021].
:redstar: my place

I do believe in the light
raise your hands into the sky
the fight is done, the war is won
lift your hands toward the sun

Annybelly
being the change
being the change

Post by Annybelly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:27 pm

thats an idea..
a way to si without siing :p

will have that in my list of things to try :]
♥ "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." ♥

♥ "You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." ♥

♥ "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." ♥

♥ "I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace." ♥

♥ "Things haven't always been this bad, therefore, things won't always be this bad." ♥

My Place
My Efforts At Being Healthy
My Bus Butterfly Obsession

♥ DFTBA ♥

capricorn
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by capricorn » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:09 pm

It helps me a lot, writing fiction does. A lot of my characters are pretty messed up people! :oturq:
Basically I use writing as catharsis, and I express all my destructive urges, and problems such as my anxiety and being confused with my sexuality, all of that I channel through my characters. Writing it down gets it out of my system and out of my head, safely.

I'm glad it helped you Xanne. :osmile:
~Capri
xoxo

"Awake and unafraid."
My Chemical Romance

"I am haunted by humans."
The Book Thief

"Been trying hard not to get into trouble, but I've got a war in my mind."
Lana Del Rey

"It's always darkest just before the dawn. So stay awake with me. Let's prove them wrong."
Rise Against

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Dune

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Sat May 01, 2010 5:56 pm

I do the same thing, only with my ED. My characters go through what I want to do to myself, and all the fallout and "side effects", and I realize that I don't really want to do it. I don't know whether my characters' actual acts help me feel better, or reading about the fallout makes me feel better, but something in it just works for me.
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

secret_writer
settling in
settling in

Post by secret_writer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:48 am

I do this all the time. My characters have probably saved my life a few times. Anything I want to do to myself, I do to my characters or have them do it to themselves.

I have one character who exhibits eating behaviors related to E.D.N.O.S. Another who self-harms. Another who is abused by her father. Another who is a drinker. Another who is an internet addict. I could go on. It helps very much with my SI urges, because I'm not triggered by reading.

Another thing that helps is writing poetry about SI. This is more triggering the fiction, but I have written many a poem in which the poet self-injures, and I don't.
My Place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=172482
My Poems: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172484
  • Mutant and proud." ~ X-Men: First Class
    "I can't cope when things get messed up, I try to move on but I just get stuck...
    ... I'm ashamed of what I used to do ... ... my oldest enemy and my only friend...
    ... I'm stranded between relapse and recovery." ~ Outcast Youth
    "From a hundred nights and a thousand tears, locked up in my room feeling bound by fears, listening to Good Charlotte and Linkin Park." ~ Outcast Youth