I NEED new coping mechanisms :(

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Silme Lor
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

I NEED new coping mechanisms :(

Post by Silme Lor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:18 am

My roommates saw my scars and are now staring at my arms every second.
School is so stressful.
I want to SI really really badly.
But if I SI, I'll start binge drinking.
If I start binge drinking I'll lose sight of school and fail.

Arrrgh.

I desperately need some; newly away from home, at a huge stressful school, living with people who don't understand, coping mechanisms.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

...please :o
"And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom."

:roll: A bit lost...

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: I NEED new coping mechanisms :(

Post by strmdncr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

There is a list somewhere on bus, I can't remember which section although I think perhaps coping called something along the lines of "scarily vast list of things to do". Unfortunately it is late and my brain is not working as well as I would like to remember things. Beyond that is there someone in your life that knows about this that you can talk with by phone? Maybe talking with a school or community counsellor, not even necessarily about the self injuring part but about the stresses of being away from home and all? Possibly being direct with your roommates - asking them if they are wanting to know something about your scars or even just the next time they notice come up with something unexpected such as 'have you ever worked in a feral cat rescue?' I hope you are able to find something that works for you.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

amyfairy
postinating the countryside
postinating the countryside

Post by amyfairy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:53 am

SplinteredGirl
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by SplinteredGirl » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:05 am

mine ended up being drawing. of corse, i couldnt draw (at all) ayt first. so i began tracing pictures. and i would get really into making them"perfect"(this kept my hands busy) . soon i was able to draw eyes, and tripppy shapes, and eventually now i draw faces and use bold colors. i picked up a blank page sketchbook and started filling it up with pencil drawings and pencil crayones and paint and magazine clippings. pretty soon i had quiote the hobby to distract myself with and i made deals with myselflike,
i wasnt to SI now, but not til im done filling this entire page, ect.
which works for me, making small deals with myself
:sgrnheart:

Understand
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Understand » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:35 am

The list is a good resource :purpstar:
Recently I've started having a long bath every few days with Lush products. The bath bombs are really calming and great for the skin, and I find it harder to cut if my skin is looking or feeling much nicer. It might do the same for you, and theres lots you can choose from to help scars.
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality

Just living hurts.