Abilifty

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

HorseGirlie313
one of us
one of us

Abilifty

Post by HorseGirlie313 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm not really sure where this goes, so I'm really sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot.

I just got perscribed Abilify today by my psychiatrist after Lexapro stopped working for my depression. I have taken Zoloft in the past but basically the same thing happened, except with some more severe suicidal thoughts.
So I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it, and whether or not they liked it. Not a proffecional (sp?) or anything, just someones opinion to whoever has taken it. I know its different for different people, but I just wanted to hear what y'all thought of it :)
thanks!

and again, so sorry if I've put this in the wrong spot!

Inthebox
building community
building community

Post by Inthebox » Tue May 19, 2009 4:10 am

This is a little late, but try posting this on the Main thread (bodies under siege) and you will probably get some answers...
"We think the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don't really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. The healing comes from letting there be room for it all to happen: Room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy." Pema Chodron

"There is room for all of your feelings - take a moment, be quiet and let there be room in your heart and the bursting will ease" C

"What a Long, Strange Trip it's been" Grateful Dead

Naeshaia
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Naeshaia » Wed May 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Hope it's not too late to respond. I personally haven't taken it but I know three people who did take it for a certain period of time.

Friend number one got it prescribed because he was basically all over the place and had strong anxieties as well as depression and severe dissociation problems. I believe he was diagnosed with split personality at some point though I'm not sure that has anything to do with him being prescribed abilify. He was a fairly harsh and arrogant person before, not a very caring guy with anger management issues (once got into a fist fight with one of his best friends because she said that he hadn't put enough salt in the tomatoe sauce). Abilify made him calmer and nicer, more caring. He eventually stopped taking it after a few months because his friends said they didn't recognize him anymore.

Friend number two got it prescribed for her depression and anxiety. I believe it helped her with the depression a bit but it made her terribly slow and unresponsive, both physically and mentally. She was unable to make decisions on her own, her wit was gone. I'm not sure whether she's still taking it but I think so. I believe it helped with her depression though.

Friend number three started taking it way before I knew him. I think he took it to handle extreme feelings and anxieties he was having. He'd been on it for years when he stopped. He was a slow, unresponsive person who didn't really listen or act upon any advice you could seem to give him. He'd never get angry. When he stopped, he said that for the first time in years, he felt angry, happy, in love. For him, it seemed to cut off emotions a lot. He's still quite slow and spineless but I think he's happier without it.

Hope this helps. You can always try it and quit if you don't feel like it's doing you any good ?

ChangeTheWorld
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by ChangeTheWorld » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:49 am

it made me sick, i was paranoid and anxious all the time which completely defeated the purpose of what it was prescribed for. do NOT take anything anyone in this thread says as advice to cease medication if it isn't working for you however, seek further clarification from your doctor. (just thought i'd add that..sorry)

getting the right type/strength of meds can be difficult.
Strength.Compassion.Creativity.

"she wonders how many women are walking around this world feeling the tingling of their amputated wings. remembering what it was to fly. to sing." Andrea Gibson "Blue Blanket"

" I come in too many flavours for just one fucking spoon" (Stacey ann chin"Crossfire")

"I want to erase the straight lines, so i can be me" (Stacey-Ann Chin " If only out of vanity")

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=194582 every challenge met, every obstacle conquered..aka MJ's Brand New Place. Read along as much as you please.