dont know what to do - little help ?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

SerenBach
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

dont know what to do - little help ?

Post by SerenBach » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:51 pm

hey

im pretty sure i have depression and i have a lot of issues and problems and i used to cut to cope but i gave up 8 weeks ago. but im struggling to cope now. my mum has a vague idea of my depression but other than that know else knows.

i tried counselling but it didnt help. i do want to get better. im going to university in september and i dont want to turn up with all my problems.

im thinking of going to the doictors to see if i can get some anti-depressents but i dont want my mum to find out so im not sure if that it'll work cos im still 17.

also i was thinking about therapy where the thearapist can help me out and give me advice (the counseller didnt do any of that) i think i can only talk freely to a stranger cos id find it hard to talk to friends or family.

im just really stuck on what to do cos im fairly sure i cant beat all of it on my own.

any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks x
I dont want the world to see me cos i dont think they'd understand.

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily been shut down. Sorry for any inconvinences.

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:56 am

I'm pretty sure at the age of 17 they wont have to inform your parents with regards to all of this. Besides you should be able to go into the doctor's and ask about the confidentiality that they offer before you do anything else. It is them that are able to provide you with what you need to combat this so it's best to see them if that is what you want.

Best of luck :)

:grnstar: Jason :grnstar:
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

Post by treasure » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:25 pm

you could let your mum knowing you're having some problems and thought going to the dr might help. would she say no or something? i'm pretty sure you can see the dr by yourself and what you talked about would be confidential, but you can ask just to make sure.

quite often it can take more than one t before you find one you click with, so it might be good to try again. generally you can get a referral to someone from your dr as they sometimes know what issues the t usually deals with (ie si or similar).

really well done on not cutting for so long by the way :) :purpstar:
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

kat11
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by kat11 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:18 am

i don't where you live, but most places in the US anyone over 13 is allowed to gone in for antidepressants. i still think it would be best to try to involve your mom at least somewhat - but i'd understand if you didn't want to.

i glad you haven't been cutting. great job on 8 weeks. :D

have you tried journaling? i know it's a good coping mechanism for a lot of people.

take care
My Place

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference.

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:11 pm

I totally understand where you are coming from. When I was 17 I had already been SIing for three years, was sad and depressed and older than everyone in my class. It was hard, and I didn't feel the school counselor helped either.

However.

When I got to college at 19 (I was a little older than most when I started college) I found a wonderful pdoc and a wonderful therapist and a wonderful nurse practitioner who all had my back. College has all these confidential resources.

I also offer this:

I hid my mental illnesses (yes, multiple) until I was 27 and ended up IP. And you know? While telling my family was hard, it was the best thing that could have happened. Now they can support me and begin to understand what I go through every day. So think on that, too.

Good Luck.

Love,
Stevie
In Which Something Oooh Occurred

And it felt like a winter machine that you go through and then you catch your breath and winter starts again, and everyone else was springbound. And when I chose to live, there was no joy, it's just a line I crossed. I wasn't worth the pain my death would cost, so I was not lost or found....But when you live in a world, well, it gets in to who you th ought you'd be. And now I laugh at how the world changed me. I think life chose me after all.
--Dar Williams