On "Feeling" Fat [ED]

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Spidey
board admin
board admin

On "Feeling" Fat [ED]

Post by Spidey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:27 pm

I've been meaning to discuss this here on Coping for a while, but life has gotten in the way of my plans :)

I would like to encourage everyone to read Joyce's post in Sourcebook about "feeling" fat.

Remember, "Fat" is not a feeling. It is a physical condition, and a modifier to express negative feelings that we may have.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

volta
being the change
being the change

Post by volta » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:28 pm

thanks, spidey. i needed to read that. :)

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:10 pm

I've read that post...and often go find it when I have 'fat days' and have put it on the list of words which are not feelings (shit, crap, f!@ked up , fine , ok, whatever are not feelings ...but sometimes , I swear I could try and convince you {and myself} otherwise :P )

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

jcarolann
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Fat

Post by jcarolann » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:15 pm

I can relate to feeling fat and looking fat. I am fat, and I can't stand the sight of me. I hate looking in the mirror, but I get so hungry at all times of the day.

I eat salads, but a couple of hours later, I am hungry. Sometimes I don't care about being fat, but at other times, I want to look slim and good so the men can whistle at me, and get my number. I am invisible right now. Why is this happening to me? Why am I fat?

It has nothing to do with food, but maybe my self-esteem. I don't want anyone talking to me, especially a man, and maybe this is why I am fat. I have a cushion that no man will ever touch. If this is the case, then something is seriously wrong with me.

I am fat and proud of it; a man has to like me for myself. Duh, men don't even look at me. I need to lose weight, but I am still fat. I need help!!

Carol Ann
MT Student
http://www.mtworkathome.com
www.myspace.com/carolannj

musiclover
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by musiclover » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:20 am

thanks electric prophet, i really needed that.
"A fallen angel, destined to fly; Broken and crazy but to strong to cry."

My Place :)

ChangeTheWorld
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by ChangeTheWorld » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:32 pm

i am struggling with this right now.
Strength.Compassion.Creativity.

"she wonders how many women are walking around this world feeling the tingling of their amputated wings. remembering what it was to fly. to sing." Andrea Gibson "Blue Blanket"

" I come in too many flavours for just one fucking spoon" (Stacey ann chin"Crossfire")

"I want to erase the straight lines, so i can be me" (Stacey-Ann Chin " If only out of vanity")

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=194582 every challenge met, every obstacle conquered..aka MJ's Brand New Place. Read along as much as you please.

badgirl22
driving instructor
driving instructor

Re: On "Feeling" Fat [ED]

Post by badgirl22 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 pm

I am feeling fat today. I don't want to eat but I know deep down that that is not the answer. I just wish I could loose weight. I know I am ugly and not worthy of being loved, I just want to get out of my body. I want to si just to show me that I am as ugly as I feel. Help!
-Badgirl22

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm

I am wondering if society has become so fat-phobic that we equate fat with being unable to give/recieve love...
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:51 am

It does drive me up the wall how fat is so feared thanks to so many media reports about obesity, health risks and so on. At no point do they ever talk about the people behind those that are overweight. These people have just as valid feelings as other people and I hate it when they are spotlighted as people that are "wrong" and have to do everything in their power to lose the weight.

Not quite sure where I was going, but what I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter what the shape and size of people, it's how they act that makes them special.

:bluestar: Jason :bluestar:
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)

Chey Kizoxie

Post by Chey Kizoxie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:10 pm

i never hear anything about the dangers of being too thin. Also I hate the "ideal weight" thing. it does not take into acount body frame or activity level. just a passing remark that bodybuilders will weigh more then the recomended ideal weight.

its frustrating/

Artemisia
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Artemisia » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:25 am

this is true, but it's still damn impossible to shake this "my tummy's to big" sensation arg. hate this thing.
"A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages"

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=135967 <<<My Place (please read and comment; it are lonely here :blush: )

LoverlyLaurie is my soul sister :D

Roxi is my twisted sister

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:37 am

Just a mod note to say that I've edited the first post so that it takes you to the link instead of broken HTML.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

kalayla
wearer of happy pants
wearer of happy pants

Post by kalayla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:05 pm

I agree with chey about how they never say anything about being too thin is a health risk
{ItsFatalYouKnow}
"when they finally
found me this halo fit my throat. I am your contorted angel"

SI free: a while
{{disco lemonade}}
my place<3

dao
bus addict
bus addict

Post by dao » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 am

:-? Not to mention how nobody talks about the risks associated with rapid weight loss and weight gain.
I am secure in my scariness. :black:

breathing
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by breathing » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:54 am

I still can't help but feel this way. I am ashamed of myself - not because of the way I think or feel, but because of how much I weigh.

badgirl22
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by badgirl22 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:18 pm

I logically know fat is not a feeling but today that is what I feel. Fat. Ugly. I know I am fat, I am obese and I want to loose weight fast. I am ingaging in my ed and trying to be "thin" Fat people don't get happy. They don't get good jobs. THey don't get the attention they deserve. Fat is what I am. ANd I hate it!
How can fat not be a feeling? Cause that is how I feel right now.
-Badgirl22

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:37 am

badgirl22 wrote:I logically know fat is not a feeling but today that is what I feel. Fat. Ugly. I know I am fat, I am obese and I want to loose weight fast. I am ingaging in my ed and trying to be "thin" Fat people don't get happy. They don't get good jobs. THey don't get the attention they deserve. Fat is what I am. ANd I hate it!
How can fat not be a feeling? Cause that is how I feel right now.
-Badgirl22
I'm sorry to say this, but this is bullshit. Fat people are happy. Thin people are happy. Fat people have good jobs. Thin people have good jobs. I'm fat and I'm happy. But you're right, people don't "get" happy, they make themselves happy. It requires work and it requires being honest with yourself and seeing beyond what weight you are.

What are you really feeling, because fat is not a feeling. "Feeling fat" is a cover for real feelings.

Mia

kiwi33
board admin
board admin

Post by kiwi33 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:54 am

Badgirl, the next time that you see your T perhaps you could do some CBT work with her.

I think that it would help if you challenged your unhelpful thoughts:
Fat people don't get happy. They don't get good jobs. THey don't get the attention they deserve.
As Mia says, there is no evidence that any of those thoughts are true.
Alone we are born
And die alone
Yet see the red-gold cirrus
Over snow-mountain shine.

From High Country Weather, James K Baxter

You walk with an intelligence
That informs a clear bright eye
There are unexpected revelations
In the company of ravens.

From In The Company Of Ravens, Maddy Prior

badgirl22
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by badgirl22 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:17 am

what are my real feelings? I feel sad and frustrated. I don't like myself and all I want to do is excercise cause that is the only place I feel like something will change. I do feel fat but today I just want to get outside of my body.

I know people who are overweight and they arn't happy because of that fact. I know people who are skinny who have a wonderful life and get what they want out of it.

ANyway, I just wanted to say that I feel as though fat is a feeling. THat is the way I feel.
-Badgirl22

Nazgul
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Nazgul » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 pm

That was a great read!

I'm coming into this thread late and so am going to ignore the above conversation.

"I feel fat" are the words I have been using lately to say "I believe I AM fat".

This is new for me, because it is a sudden weight gain caused by medication. That leaves me feeling.....scared.
:snail:
"If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell." ~Former US Senator, on touring Texas in the 1800s

*hugs are ALWAYS welcome*

*SI free July 22, 2006-October -November 5, 2010*
*SI free since April 28, 2012*