On "Feeling" Fat [ED]

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Descent
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Descent » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 pm

This is so true.. I find myself "feeling fat" a lot..
there.is.always.hope
"Don't follow your dreams; chase them."
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

-->*My Place* *My PBH*<--
:redstar: :star: :ylwstar: :grnstar: :bluestar: :dkpurpstar:

Crazedglass
settling in
settling in

Re: On "Feeling" Fat [ED]

Post by Crazedglass » Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm

I am overweight and I too have dealt with and tried to overcome. Just in the last week or two, I have had 2 people make "fat" comments to me. One of them was through my four year old who in explicit detail told me what her dad told his wife about my physical appearance. Now I know I'm no model, but I'm quite positive I'm not repulsive to look at. Hearing her instantly made me cry and in all her innocence said, "But Mommy I think you are pretty." A few days later I was out to breakfast with a friend and we were talking and I was laughing at whatever we were talking about and the man in the booth across from us leans over and says, "Ya know, the great thing about big people is that when they laugh, all of them laughs with them." I was completely and utterly appalled, but could do nothing but stare at my coffee. He then said "you aren't all mad now are ya?" I shook my head no and politely excused myself to the bathroom...
:blueheart: A :blueheart:

DogOnlyKnows
settling in
settling in

Post by DogOnlyKnows » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Nazgul wrote:"I feel fat" are the words I have been using lately to say "I believe I AM fat".

This is new for me, because it is a sudden weight gain caused by medication. That leaves me feeling.....scared.
I'm in the same boat... it's very difficult!
~Dog only knows how I'll get through this day~

Living life one day at a time with my family and my psychiatric service dog by my side

FilthSparrow
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by FilthSparrow » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 am

:shakehead: daily battle.....
The kind of pain that makes you want to hurt everyone around you because you’re suffering & they’re not, because they can breathe without feeling guilty & hold a normal conversation without breaking down into fits of tears or rage

cariad
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by cariad » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:34 pm

-nods-
i have a laminated post-it note stuck to my mirror and fridge. (seems to sort of take the meaning out of post-it notes as its covered in plastic <shrugs>) they both say 'fat is not a feeling' on them.
and i have another one saying 'you wouldn't call yourself protein'
it helps to remember that fat is needed for the body to stay alive, not even to be healthy, just to live.
:purpstar:

FilthSparrow
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by FilthSparrow » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:02 am

@ tempete, <3 :heart: :1love: exactly
The kind of pain that makes you want to hurt everyone around you because you’re suffering & they’re not, because they can breathe without feeling guilty & hold a normal conversation without breaking down into fits of tears or rage

Lofticries
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Lofticries » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 am

I've been struggling a lot recently.

I've gained some weight, still in the low end of healthy with a bmi of [a number].

I've just been having a really hard time in general and it's really triggering. I feel fat. I miss the way anorexia helped me cope with negative feelings and stress. :( I feel like I really need it to cope again. Feeling fat is really getting me down and emphasising other related problems, for example problems in my relationship.

I've started feeling uncomfortable with my boyfriend seeing me without clothes on. Something I have never had a problem with.
Dry your smoke-stung eyes so you can see the light. Staring at the sky watching stars collide.

My Place . My Artwork . My PBH[/center]

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Hey!

I wanted to ask if you've read this post yet? http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27168 It's a great post and I thought of it when I saw yours.

Do you have any help to cope with these thoughts?
What can you think of that you can do to challenge them and work on getting healthier ones? What coping strategies can you try?

Also, welcome to bus!! :D I hope you'll like it here. Let us know if there's a problem or there's anything you wanna talk about!

Mia

Lofticries
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Lofticries » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:06 pm

^ Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I'd scrolled through the posts on this thread but hadn't clicked the link.

That does help a lot. I think the black and white aspect of it "fat or fine" really appeals to my Borderline thought patterns.
There are other things going to as well as that which I think cause me to struggle.

I don't really have any coping strategies in place which is probably why I have minor relapses so frequently. :shakehead: I'll have a read through the forum and maybe try and put some in place that I feel would work for me.
Dry your smoke-stung eyes so you can see the light. Staring at the sky watching stars collide.

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Just Pomegranates » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 am

^ Building on Mian's suggestion of challenging ED-ish thoughts/urges, I was thinking that maybe trying the Before You SI Questions from the Before/After section of the forum could be possibly be helpful/useful? Instead of answering them to an SI theme, you could be try re-wording them slightly to an ED theme and try challenging some of your thoughts/urges that way and see if that would be useful to you?

If you want to try that I could PM them to you? Because you have to apply to get access that part of the forum as well as Workshop and Please Be Healthy and you probably haven't applied yet with having just joined the forum and the mods for that section haven't been around much that I've seen recently. On that note, I'd also really recommend joining the Workshop/Please Be Healthy sections because they're really good as well for trying to make positive changes and challenging potentially problematic thoughts/urges and developing better methods of coping and whatnot in general and getting feedback on that as well. :osmile:

:1hug:
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” - Dalai Lama XIV

“The shark that does not swim, drowns.” - Russian Proverb

Lofticries
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Lofticries » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 am

Yeah, I'd like to try it if you pm it.

How do you apply for access to other parts of the forum? I'm glad you brought it up as I was wondering about it as I tried to go on the Please Be Healthy section, I think I'd like it.

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Just Pomegranates » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:58 am

To get access to other sections of the forum you go into your User Control Panel, click on Usergroups under the Options section on the left hand side of the page, then select which usergroup/section you want to apply to for access and submit the request and wait for it to be approved.

And I'll PM you those questions as well. :osmile:
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” - Dalai Lama XIV

kiwi33
board admin
board admin

Post by kiwi33 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 am

Saint Jimmy wrote:Because you have to apply to get access [to] Workshop [and before and after]
Lofticries, all members (including you :) ) can post in Workshop and before and after without needing staff approval.

Edited to correct:

All members can *read* in the workshop forum whenever they want to but *posting* there does need staff approval. Saint Jimmy (above) and Mia (below) have described how to get approval to post there.
Alone we are born
And die alone
Yet see the red-gold cirrus
Over snow-mountain shine.

From High Country Weather, James K Baxter

You walk with an intelligence
That informs a clear bright eye
There are unexpected revelations
In the company of ravens.

From In The Company Of Ravens, Maddy Prior

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Just Pomegranates » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 am

^Ahhh my bad, I thought you had apply for that as well. Silly me. :oops: :tongue:

Thanks for clearing that up/correcting me!

Lofticries
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Lofticries » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 am

^ It's on the apply page so I've applied not realising.

I didn't try as I assumed I couldn't get on to it.

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am

PS - all admins can approve people for usergroups as well, so if the mods aren't always around, you can let one of us know as well :)

Mia

angelclown
creating your space
creating your space

Post by angelclown » Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 am

Oh man I am so glad I found this thread, and I'm so thankful you posted the link to that post :1love:

I am fat. As a descriptor, I am fat. Overweight. That's my physical status. That's what the numbers say, that's what my shape says. Sometimes I feel ok about this, but a lot of the time I really, really don't.

**trigger: abusive language/loathing, SI, SU**

It's hard when you get abuse for it. I've been shouted "hey fatty boom boom" at from a car whilst walking home. I've been mooed at. (It doesn't get much more dehumanising than to have animal noises directed at you). Some ned sang "Who Let The Dogs Out?" at me (I f---ing HATE that song). I've been told by a ned to "move [my] fat arse". In a pub I had a guy, without provocation, solicitation or even prior conversation with him, look me in the eye and say to his mates clearly "I'm not pulling THAT".
It's led to a lot of my slips and it's even led me on the brink of taking my own life before.

It makes me angry how people, and it's mostly been men in my case, feel the right to judge me based on nothing else other than how f--kable I am to them, and if I'm not, then apparently I'm less than human and deserved to be treated as thus. I hate fat-hatred and body negative attitudes towards people whose business they really shouldn't mind.
Well bugger that and bugger them. Besides, cows are bloody awesome. :disco:

Oh dear I've rambled on; in short, thank you, it was much needed! I shall read, I shall also join the usergroups :)
Life is just a series of opportunities that, if experienced, you can raise a glass to during a game of I Have Never.

My Health Thang

noldo
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions

Post by noldo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 pm

I know this is also a really old thread but reading through it, I think it also still applies to a lot of people and definitely to me.

I am fat, I know that - all feelings beside - my weight and my body frame are telling me that objectively. I could write a whole essay about 'feeling fat' and being made 'feeling fat' even if you aren't and getting really awful reactions in public because of it.

I gained a lot of weight because of meds and that also helped my ED - which I had already a couple of years back than but it was relatively tame to this point - to develop a lot more and stronger. I often changed between binging and restricting (though a lot more binging which caused me to gain more and more weight). I was disgusted with my body at least since I was 12,13 years old, a time where I was at a healthy BMI but not stick thin, one of the reasons for the bullying at school I experienced. During 2017 I restricted a lot for a longer time and lost a lot of weight. I have been honest about that with some people, mostly my therapist, telling them how litte I was eating and everyone found it okay (well almost everyone) and congratulated me on my weight loss. I know it's healthy and good for me to lose weight but the way I was doing it was like f.ex. a fair bit of anorexic people would be doing it. And since I was fat, it didn't matter how I achieved losing weight and my ED didn't matter to most people. I feel that fat people get approvement from others for losing weight, using methods which would be disapproved with people at a healthy BMI (or slightly overweight or even sometimes even slightly underweight) cause when you're fat the most important things is to lose weight. So everyone encouraged me and after a couple of months, my body turned to binging again and I gained all the weight back and then even some more (even quite a lot) and the reaction of some people was... well, not good. I literally cried out for help and everybody ignored me and when I gained weight again everyone was very concerned and blamed me for everything.

'Feeling fat' is a horrible feeling and I think it's society's fault that being overweight and obese is seen as weak, horrible, uncontrolled, lazy, ugly (etc etc) while at the same time people - even children - are more often overweight nowadays. It's pretty f***ed up! Sorry - well no, not sorry - but this evoked a lot of feelings and thoughts and I never read this thread before and just wanted to express my thoughts on this and encourage people to read this here and of course to read the original thread (first post, the link there) and share their thoughts on it.
sig and avy made by wonderful wds

My Place (replies, hugs, stars welcome) My Art (comments very welcome) My PBH Thread (replies very welcome)

English isn't my native language, please bear with me.

You always deserve help. It doesn't matter if you already made progress; it doesn't matter if someone else has it worse; you deserve help.